UKC

Scafell/Lakeland conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Up this weekend for the first of this years recce's for a BGR. However with the unseasonal snow what are the tops like re: snow/ice? Looked at the webcams but haven't got anyone on the ground, so to speak.

Basically I don't want to be doing it in anything than really light and fast walking kit - cold is no problem but ice/snow on Broad Stand and one or two others could put the kibosh on it i.e. I'm not wanting to carry any ice kit.

Cheers.
 chiz 14 Apr 2008
In reply to brt:
prob not much use, but went round bliscoe, crinkle and bowfell, down to esk hause and back to langdale friday afternoon. lots of snow from c800m, mostly graupel and hail, at least half laid down that morning, some consolidated underneath on old drifts, no frozen turf on the flat, just powder/graupel on grass and rocks. no need for crampons, but few scrambley bits were slippy and wet rather than slippy verglas.
looking west didnt look much better/worse. just cold and slippy.
HTH
chiz
 Rog Wilko 14 Apr 2008
In reply to brt: Hi Steve
While you were slobbing out on the Roaches we did Striding & Swirrel yesterday. There is a sprinkling of snow but absolutely no ice on the route, including summit plateau. There were some icicles still visible on the face, but doubt they'll last long.
Didn't know you were up for BGR. Did you know Geoff Hibbert is training for it at the mo?
Rog
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cheers all.

Rog, I think you might have me mixed up for someone else!
 ayuplass 15 Apr 2008
In reply to brt:
was at wasdale this saturday to monday and scafell pike was covered in snow, we did scafell pike, broad crag, ill crag and lingmells on saturday and wore crampons for most of the day. We intended to scamble on broad stand but it was too snowy/icey. people were coiming up the normal route without crampons/axe but they looked jealously at our crampons as they were slipping about a lot! It may melt a bit over this week but the forecast on metcheck says snow again on thursday night
 Rog Wilko 15 Apr 2008
In reply to brt: Yes, I think I did. Must be one of those senior moments...
In reply to ayuplass:

Gah! But thanks...
In reply to brt: Anyone been up Ennerdale/pillar recently? Still white enough for a wintry hillwalk, or has it mostly gone? ta
 Ridge 16 Apr 2008
In reply to dan bailey:
> (In reply to brt) Anyone been up Ennerdale/pillar recently? Still white enough for a wintry hillwalk, or has it mostly gone? ta

Certainly white over from the base of pillar rock upwards on Saturday, but there's been a bit of a thaw since then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...