UKC

can u get meths in Huaraz,Peru?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thinking of taking a trangia stove there, does anyone know if you can get meths there?
Answer asap..as going tomorrow!
Thanks
 gazhbo 11 May 2008
In reply to Helen Gibson Hoey: In Peru and Bolivia you can get this clear alcohol in plastic bottles which is used as fuel, similar to meths and I used it is a trangia when I took it there. Lots of the miners in Bolivia also drink it. A trangia though, really struggles at altitude and a lot of the area around Huaraz is massively high. Mine completely failed on one of the mountains near Arequipa. Luckily someone had one of those jet stoves, they work anywhere and burn any fuel you choose to put in them. It might be worth investing and I'm sure could get one out there for less than you would pay here. Have fun, wish I was going.
bmwill 16 May 2008
In reply to Helen Gibson Hoey: hey..in Huaraz go to the markets or hardwear stores and ask for 'benzina blanca.' It's easy to find, cheap and works like a treat.
 David Hooper 16 May 2008
In reply to Helen Gibson Hoey:

Benzina blanca and trangia fine for valley ype treks - like Santa Cruz circuit - howevegoing up the mountains I would take either gas or a petrol type pressure stove.
bmwill 17 May 2008
In reply to Helen Gibson Hoey: oh and u can also use benzina blanca in msr dragonfly stoves too..and u may be able to hire one in Huaraz
 bartony800 27 May 2008
In reply to Helen Gibson Hoey:
I would really consider giving the Trangia a miss, i have been going to Peru for years and there is plenty of gas should you go down that route or benzina blanca should you go for an MSR XGK or similar. I guided for large group in Bolivia once and watched in horror as they pulled their Trangias out of their packs. I was there just as guide and local knowledge so did not have anything to do with the organisation of the actual trip, warm soup and uncooked pasta after over two hours cooking was the result. We were at 4700mts but to be honest whether climbing or trekking a Trangia will not perform anywhere near as well as a pressurised system. Hope this is of help and in case you don't own a stove you can hire them from numerous places in Huaraz for a few $ a day.
Regards.

Tony.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...