UKC

Painting an indoor climbing wall?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmy a 12 May 2008
This week me and the team will be painting a small ish climbing wall that we have built. I have loads of white floor paint and will be mixing it with kiln dried sand to get the texture (this has worked very well on a test panel!)
We will be mixing in some colour to the white paint but are in debate as to which colours to use and how to get it on the wall in a way to look good.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

None of us are in any way artistic

All advise very welcome!

Thanks
 Clarence 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a: Well grey or beige are yer classic climbing wall colours but basically anything you put in there is going to make a pastel shade of something, what sort of effect were you looking for?

As for applying the stuff, an emulsion roller seems to be the best way, it leaves the sand where it is, a brush tends to move the sand about into little furrows.
 AdCo82 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a:

have a look at some online images of bouldering walls. quite a few have vibrant colours but it depends whether you want the natural look or not.

is this wall at home for private use?

just out of interest, what size is it and how much did it cost including framework and holds?
 zoobizooretta 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a:

have you put the wall/panels up yet? as it's far easier to paint them when they're laid face up.

So for the colour paint it with the textured paint as normal, then you can paint over this with what ever colour you want. The texture will come through, as they coloured layer is so thin.

as for colours looking good, if you trail through the photo section of this site, the indoor walls, you'll get an idea of what you like, what works and what doesn't

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/index.html?category=4
i.munro 12 May 2008
In reply to zoobizooretta:

As to texture, the Arch bouldering wall have only put texture in on aretes & left the rest pretty low friction. I found this a bit disconcerting at first but once you get used to it it allows a better variety of problem setting as the setter has more control over where the footholds are.
 Dominion 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a:

Redpoint climbing centre in Birmingham has gone for this sort of thing - in zoobizooretta's gallery on this site...

http://img.ukclimbing.com/i/79796.jpg
 Nigel R 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a: Give the Leeds Wall a ring. I think they have a couple of gallons of the yellow stuff they use at the top of some routes to simulate a highly polished limestone classic...
 mat098 12 May 2008
In reply to timmy a: Just a thought, but if you buy a paintball gun from argos then paint the wall white then shoot the paintball guns at the wall. Genius!
gingermonkey 12 May 2008
In reply to mat098:
Liking that Mate!

GM
OP timmy a 13 May 2008
In reply to Clarence: Not going for natural look, thinking bright and vibrant! Thanks for the tip aboit rollers, will add to the shopping list for this evening
OP timmy a 13 May 2008
In reply to ADJC: Cheers, will do. The wall is to be used in the scouts and guide arena. In total we have around 15 8x4ft panels making up a climbing and bouldering wall. the cost has only been around £100 as we have managed to have all the timber, holds, paint and mats donated from various companies.
OP timmy a 13 May 2008
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help! I will be sure to post some photos once its done so you can see the result….
mountainsheep 15 May 2008
bright pink
with a big paint brush.
martypants 15 May 2008
In reply to timmy a: try a textured paint like kuvar - then put sone vibrant stuff over the top!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...