UKC

Climbing coaching - had any?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 17 May 2008
Morning world.

Has anyone ever partaken in coaching session to improve their climbing? eg: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=298576

What did you get out of it - recommended?

Ta.
 CJD 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo:

I know a couple of people who had a session with Adrian Berry, and they said it was brilliant - taught them a lot, not least in terms of confidence. I'm toying with trying it this summer.
OP Si Withington 17 May 2008
In reply to CJD:

Yeah, snap. Bit of confidence boosting is exactly what the doctor ordered!
In reply to zebedoo: My uni club did a masterclass with Neil Gresham- it was fantastic, helped my climbing and confidence no end.
 Jon_Warner 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo: Have done with Gaz Parry... didn't feel i got absolutely loads out of it, but it was reassuring and well worth the money.
 Justin T 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo:

Had a day with some scotsman last year, Dave I think his name was, he was a bit weak though and I had to practically haul him up a couple of routes

Highly recommended - in the long run mainly because it made me think hard about what I really want to get out of climbing which has motivated me to get training.

James Oswald 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo: i went for a week to Fontainebleau with Neil Gresham and Steve Golley. Yep it was very helpful and i would truly recommend it.
 Matt Bulmer 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo: You have mail.
 jaswa 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo: no.... but i should.
 54ms 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo:

I love the idea and probably would if I had more cash. However I'd rather spend the cash at the moment climbing in lots of interesting places.
 RobScotland 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo:

Think 'coaching' naturally comes from one climber to another. I've certainly benefited from more experienced climbing friends and more technically gifted rock climbers giving me advice on-the-move and I hope that I've been able to pass on some of my knowledge to younger climbers too.

Actually find it useful on ice to coach myself - to take a step back and do a critical analysis of how I'm climbing and how it can be improved - can be all too easy to get into bad habits - especially with ice axe placement.

Got friends who offer coaching to clients commercially as part of their guiding service and on the whole the clients do seem to benefit.
 Paul Atkinson 17 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo: haven't done it yet but might go for it at some point as it seems like an excellent idea. What really strikes me is how absurdly cheap it is - cheaper than getting driving lessons - to be taught one to one by some really top climbers. A sad reflection of our set up IMHO - the best climbers aren't in it for the money but I'd like to see the top end able to make a good living out of it and feel that would be healthy for the sport in the UK
 kitkat78 19 May 2008
In reply to zebedoo:
I posted the original reply to the thread you cited - my thoughts on it were summed up there, but anyone wants more details about the day and my feelings about it feel free to email me. I left grades off the other one deliberately, but would be happy to expand a bit more if people are particularly interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...