UKC

A ticks head is stuck in my wrist...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 19 May 2008
A ticks head is stuck in my wrist because I couldn't be bothered to get the tweezers for this one and used my finger nails. I've had a good dig with a knife, but the b!"££$%d thing won't come, can I forget about it or will it become infected?

Jonnie
brothersoulshine 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

Well it's not going to climb out by itself, is it?
 Al Evans 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: You are going to die, make your will quickly.
Earl Tyrconnell-Smythe 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

get a large nail clippers and remove the skin affected and the tics head parts with it
 Nevis-the-cat 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

get a lady bird, remove it's head then offer up the body to the ticks head. After 3 days it should have bonded and crawl out itself.
Anonymous 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

Suggest you seek medical advice, go to your GP or MIU not A&E. Couple of people down here have contracted Lymes Disease which isnt something you really desire im sure.

Meanwhile a liberal application of some kind of antiseptic may also be in order give you used your not so clean fingernails. A tetanus jab may also be advised by the medics.

johnSD 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

I've dug for a few, and left a few, and either way I end up with a red itchy bit for a couple of days. Make sure you clean it well, and maybe have another shot getting it out if you can be bothered (sterilised needle and tweezers) but it's unlikely to be worth gouging half your arm out for...

(Just watch out for lymes)
satori 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

how long ago did it go in?
tick poisoning spreads at approximately an inch every 5 minutes.

if it's been an hour then it's best to remove your arm at the elbow.
if it's gone past that then you are probably a dead man anyway.
OP jonnie3430 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

Cunny funts, I hope you all got some satisfaction from this. I now can't have an itch without dropping my trousers to have a look.
 pog100 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

As someone above said you always seem to get a some reaction whether you leave the mouth parts in or out, this is just your body reacting to foreign proteins.
As far as I can read, the danger of infection with the Lyme's disease bacteria is more from regurgitation from the stomach. You may or may not have increased the chances of this by not using tweezers but it is too late now. I have left head parts in in the past, and the body sorts them out, like it does a small splinter. Watch out for the rash, though less than half of infections show the rash I believe, then just bear it in mind should you feel shit in a couple of weeks.
 Al Evans 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: I'm quite surprised you are not already dead.
 Trangia 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

Smear loads of anti-septic over it and dig it out with a needle followed by more regular applications of anti-septic cream over the hole you create.

Probably not very scientific, but it worked for me in the wilds of Swaziland.
 anonymouse 19 May 2008
In reply to pog100:
> Watch out for the rash, though less than half of infections show the rash I believe, then just bear it in mind should you feel shit in a couple of weeks.

Other symptoms include fever, which can occur a week or so after being bitten and can come and go pretty quickly. When I had it, I was feverish for less than 24 hours. The rashes actually look pretty cool and can develop later still. There's loads of info out there. Just google it.
 D.Musgrave 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:
> A ticks head is stuck in my wrist because I couldn't be bothered to get the tweezers for this one and used my finger nails. I've had a good dig with a knife, but the b!"££$%d thing won't come, can I forget about it or will it become infected?
>
> Jonnie

I had a tick on my leg 2 years ago when we came back from Scotland. It was whole & bloated. I didn't realise what it was so I went to our GP. Luckily he had just moved to our area from the Exmoor area where they have a similar problem. He asked me if I had been near red deer.
He twisted it out with one smooth movement, including the embedded head.
He then went on to give me a big lecture on how dangerous they can be & how you shouldn't try & pull it out yourself as, if you leave the head in, it can become serious.
 Al Evans 19 May 2008
In reply to anonymouse:
> (In reply to pog100)
> [...]
>
> Other symptoms include fever, which can occur a week or so after being bitten

So I was wrong, you are in for a lingering death!
James Jackson 19 May 2008
In reply to D.Musgrave:

> He then went on to give me a big lecture on how dangerous they can be & how you shouldn't try & pull it out yourself

Rubbish. I remove them from my animals all the time, and occasionally from me if I'm unlucky...
Tim Chappell 19 May 2008
Soak the area in meths, then dry it off and put a sticking plaster over it. The plaster will draw the tick's head out. (This works for splinters too.)

This is a second-best solution; the best solution is to tweezer the tick out carefully as soon as you notice it, ideally before it swells.
 Kate Edhouse 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: just came back from climbing and i have one stuck in my neck! Just about where my adams apple would be if i had one! You need to get it out, dig some more...
 SuperTed 19 May 2008
In reply to Kate Edhouse:

Had one on my knob a few days ago, for the second time! Starting to worry it smells like a sheep! Luckily it came out pretty easily. I've got a brilliant tick remover, which is a specially designed tweezer ( http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Tick-Remover-pr-16658.html ).
 JohnV 19 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:
try some magnesium sulphate paste on it and cover with a plaster, the paste helps to draw out foreign bodies and infections.
OP jonnie3430 19 May 2008
In reply to SuperTed:

I usually use one of these; http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/the-tick-twister-153502.php but I was being lazy.
 Niall 19 May 2008
In reply to SuperTed:
> (In reply to Kate Edhouse)
>
> Had one on my knob a few days ago, for the second time!

That'll teach ya, pervert
 Stuzz 20 May 2008
In reply to SuperTed:

Starting to worry it smells like a sheep!

You leave those poor sheep alone!
 SebCa 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: are you still alive? i heard jonnie 3431 had just registered with UKC!
 Heike 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:

Take a needle (sterilise with boiling water) and keep digging it out (nail clippers etc won't work unlees you take have of you wrist off) With a needle, just carefully poke in and dig it out) This is exactly what the doctor would do if yo go to them - been there and done it. Alternatively you could leave it, but it feels better to be removed. You'll probably live , but it is not nice!

As others said, always watch for any after effects, but chances are it'll be ok.
In reply to jonnie3430:

Well, if it's like having lice, the best solution is to use pets' anti-flea/anti-vermin powder. They'll just fall out overnight.
In reply to jonnie3430:

This may be a rather gross suggestion.

The Brown Tick season has started here in Texas, and last night I noticed that Oscar (one of my two Golden Retrievers) had a tick on his ear, which had swelled to about the size of a small pearl. I could not remove it, on my own, what with Oscar's rather violent struggles. By this morning, it was the size of a peanut, and this evening when I took Oscar to the vet, about the size of a very fat Smartie, when it was fairly easy to remove (When the vet removed it, there were two smaller ones beneath that had sneaked in under the belly of the overlying guppy.)

So perhaps next time this happens, you could just leave the tick there and wait for it to become really gross (in all senses) and relatively easy to remove. Of course, if you mistime things, your problems may multiply, because the next stage in the tick's life cycle is that it either falls off and lays the eggs it has fed with your blood, or bursts, depositing about 30,000 eggs -for more of the same.

Good luck!

Al Evans 20 May 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
>
> Well, if it's like having lice, the best solution is to use pets' anti-flea/anti-vermin powder. They'll just fall out overnight.

I second this Gordon, a lot less painful and risky than digging them out, though I reccomend Bob Martins flea shampoo applied neat. If you just dip a matchstick in to the shampoo and put the drop that forms at the end direct on to the spot it works a treat. If you can get at the tick while it is still whole it withdraws and falls off instantly.
 Zygoticgema 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: How did you even get the tick on you in the first place?
 Chris F 20 May 2008
In reply to Zygoticgema:
> (In reply to jonnie3430) How did you even get the tick on you in the first place?

Almost unavoidable in the hills in Scotland. I removed 3 on Sunday night, and got rid of a few more on Sunday during the day which had not yet dug un.

Al Evans 20 May 2008
In reply to Chris F: When I was fell running we found that a good application of Deep Heat before a run was an effective tick reppelant, even on Jura which is notorious for its tick attacks.
 Zygoticgema 20 May 2008
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Zygoticgema)
> [...]
>
> Almost unavoidable in the hills in Scotland. I removed 3 on Sunday night, and got rid of a few more on Sunday during the day which had not yet dug un.

But how!? Where? What and where were you going to have the nasty little creatures grab you! I've never been a victim of a tick attack and don't really fancy it either (I would scream like a... well like a girl)
 Chris F 20 May 2008
In reply to Zygoticgema: Walking into a route? they are on any long grass or vegetation and when you brush past it they get onto you. it's a bit gross the first time it happens, but after that you quickly get used to it.
In reply to jonnie3430: My mum is a dab hand at getting them off the cat, i can send her round for a fee.
 d_b 20 May 2008
In reply to satori: I agree

Chopping the arm off is the only way to be sure. You will climb better with less weight as well.
 Hay 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430:
Is it still in there?
You could try the old hot poltuce (sp?).
A classic old granny remedy for pretty much anything, a hot poltuce draws infection to the surface of the skin.
Works on gravelly knees/elbows if you fall off a bike so no reason to believe it would not work here too.

My granny's version was as follows:
Get a clean cotton hankie, 2 slices of plain white loaf(crusts off) and boil the kettle.
Lay the hankie in a bowl with the loaf on top and pour over boiling water.
Pick the hankie and bread up after a wee soak and draw the hankie together to squeeze a fair bit of water out of the loaf. Make it into a kind of hot loaf parcel.
Apply the hot parcel to the injury (ooo-yah...best let it cool a wee bit) and bind it on with a bandage.
Leave for a few hours or preferably over night.
The ticks head should have been drawn up to the surface and you be able to get it out.

If this does not work then phone yer maw coz you are pottet heid.
If it does work dinna eat yer poltuce...that is manky.
 net 20 May 2008
In reply to Zygoticgema:
> (In reply to Chris F)
> [...]
>
> But how!? Where? What and where were you going to have the nasty little creatures grab you! I've never been a victim of a tick attack and don't really fancy it either (I would scream like a... well like a girl)

I know of 4 people (myself included) who picked up ticks in the Lakes last weekend, all in different parts of the Lakes.

I was wearing sandals and cropped trousers, so was probably asking for trouble, but since the bracken wasn't up, I didn't think tick season would have started.

They just crawl off the undergrowth on to you, and before they have started feeding they are really very small and you wouldn't notice them. They can also be on your clothes/shoes, and then climb on to you later, and take a day or so to wander on to somewhere that takes their fancy...
 net 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: I've found that if you've had a good go with tweezers or something, the mouth parts will probably come out when the scab comes off.

Nice.
 D.Musgrave 20 May 2008
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to D.Musgrave)
>
> [...]
>
> Rubbish. I remove them from my animals all the time, and occasionally from me if I'm unlucky...
What is rubbish? My GP giving me basic advice? If you can easily remove ticks from your animals, then you are as good as my GP at it. You should be explaining it to people who aren't experts like yourself,& not being superior.

James Jackson 20 May 2008
In reply to D.Musgrave:

Rubbish that your GP was telling you not to do it yourself. He should show you how to get them off; it's easy. I wasn't be superior. Chill the f*ck out - I begin to remember why I stayed away from here for so long.
 D.Musgrave 20 May 2008
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to D.Musgrave)
>
> Rubbish that your GP was telling you not to do it yourself. He should show you how to get them off; it's easy. I wasn't be superior. Chill the f*ck out - I begin to remember why I stayed away from here for so long.

How do you do it then? My GP didn't tell me because he thought that it took a bit of experience as you & he have. So, how do you do it?

In reply to D.Musgrave:

You just need a pair of tweezers. Get the tick right at the bottom, so you're basically just about to pinch your skin too. Hold it really tight, without cutting the damn thing in half (for a given definition of half), and twist whilst pulling out. They really do stick in, so you need a good twist (I briefly hold the tweezers in the other hand after grabbing so I can over-twist my other hand to get a full turn) and a hell of a tug in a smooth action.

Works every time.
In reply to jonnie3430:

OR from your local vet you can buy, for a few quid, a special tick-removing device:

http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/removal/removaltool.php

Note the 'big ticks' are female, and have a expanding body cavity, and the 'small ticks' are male, and have a semi-rigid body so can't swell up as much. Don't squish the body back into you whilst you're removing it...
LUke Patterson 20 May 2008
In reply to jonnie3430: You f*cking morons are so unhelpful. I can only hope the one's that make light of this situation f*cking rot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...