UKC

Climbs for an 8 year old, near Keswick ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim Nicoll 21 May 2008
Recommendations/thoughts anyone ?

Thanks.
 peas65 21 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Glaciated slabs? Or those slabs next to shepherds?
 nickcj 21 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Upper Shepherds is really nice, or left side of Wodens face is accessible. Seathwaite Slabs are good or you could try Head End Quarry which is a bit further out but has lots of short diffs to go at.

biscuit 21 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

All those suggested are good but often used by groups - though Seathwaite slabs is quite quiet nowadays and glaciated slabs are little used by groups.

If you're after giving him a bit of a mountain feel then Long Scar/Black crag would get my vote. Bit of a walk in - same as glaciated slabs - but a great place and easy to set up.

Headend quarry is a great place if the weather isn't too good. It's very sheltered in the quarry but often blowy as heck on the top.
In reply to nickcj:
> (In reply to Jim Nicoll)
>
> Upper Shepherds is really nice, or left side of Wodens face is accessible. Seathwaite Slabs are good or you could try Head End Quarry which is a bit further out but has lots of short diffs to go at.

My young un had fun on all of those. By 9 or 10 he'd done the likes of Corvus and Grey Knotts Face, and by 11 he was seconding the odd VS, and leading Diffs.
Jim Nicoll 22 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Thanks for all suggestions. I thought I knew Borrowdale quite well - there's an upper tier at Shepherd's ? Can't think where you would set up climbs on Black Crag (Long Scar?), but I haven't been there for a while. Headend Quarry ?. I'll have to get the latest guidebook.

nickcj 22 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Keep going straight up the path from the farm instead of branching off left to the crag. When you reach an obvious grassy col with an old wall turn left and you'll see the outcrop of 'Upper Shepherds' on top of the hill. You can also approach from the Watendlath road through the woods which makes for a pleasant stroll.
 Mark Bull 22 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

This might be useful: http://www.frcc.org.uk/rock/easy.htm
In reply to Jim Nicoll:
> (In reply to Jim Nicoll)
>
> Headend Quarry ?. I'll have to get the latest guidebook.

The guide covering Headend is out of print (new edition, FRCC Eastern Crags & Outcrops, is due in 2009), however the descriptions are on line here: http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/guides/headend.htm

Also try Church Crag, St Johns in the Vale - descriptions here: http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/newroutes/newroutes/eastern-thirlmere.htm
 Tom the tall 22 May 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll: If your youngster is new to it, they might like the west facing slabs opposite st johns in the vale church, easy and not too intimidating. Through the gate and follow the wall round to the bottom of the slabs. Headend routes are polished at the low grades, quite steep and not particularly easy for little people

Jim Nicoll 23 May 2008
In reply to Tom the tall:

thanks for all the further info - a bit more than the Bowderstone and Woden's Face to go at now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...