UKC

foot tendon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 27 Jun 2008
Whenever I try on a pair of toe-down rock shoes a tendon on the bottom of my foot bow strings and really hurts. Even if I take the shoe off the tendon remains tight and hurts. (I think it is my flexor hallicus longus, but it might be my tibialis anterior.)

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone solved it?

Thanks
moomin 27 Jun 2008
In reply to David Coley:

Not specifically with rock shoes, but have hallix limitus and flexor hallix longus tendonitis.
The first seems to have mainly been solved with a steroid injection into the toe joint. I've had quite a lot of physio, which has helped the tendonitis, and have also been doing prescribed exercises / stetches to help loosen it up again. I now have some orthotics, to help try and prevent both problems happening again. The tendonitis was caused by the lack of movement in my big toe joint, so it might be worth a visit to a podiatrist to see if there's an underlying cause.
 jkarran 27 Jun 2008
In reply to David Coley:

I don't know if it has a name, I don't know the name of the bits of tendon involved but if I curl my feet into a particular shape the foot spasms and something pulls painfully tight in the arch of my foot, usually I can stretch it out by relaxing, sometimes I need to use my hands or stretch it against something. I 'solve' it by not curling my foot into that shape. I always assumed it was a pretty normal reaction?

jk
octopus 27 Jun 2008
In reply to David Coley:
Sure it is`nt cramp ?
OP David Coley 30 Jun 2008
In reply to jkarran:
That sounds exactly like it. I seem to be able to trigger it by just putting on a tight shoe.
OP David Coley 30 Jun 2008
In reply to octopus:
> (In reply to David Coley)
> Sure it is`nt cramp ?

I had assumed not becuase it happens when I first try to get a shoe on, not when I'm climbing for a while
pmagowan 30 Jun 2008
In reply to David Coley:

Sounds a bit like a cramp in a cold foot. Where is the pain exactly? What makes it better/ worse? how long have you had it. Any swelling/redness? Only with climbing shoes? Previous injuries?
OP David Coley 03 Jul 2008
In reply to pmagowan:
It occurs only when I try to put on tight, toe-down, rock shoes, normally in the shop. Normal rock shoes are fine. When it does occur, I take the shoe off but the tendon that runs under the foot to the big toe stays bowed and really hurts.
OP David Coley 15 Jul 2008
In reply to pmagowan:
> (In reply to David Coley)
>
> Sounds a bit like a cramp in a cold foot. Where is the pain exactly? What makes it better/ worse? how long have you had it. Any swelling/redness? Only with climbing shoes? Previous injuries?

No previous injuries; had it for several years; pain is on the underside of the foot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...