UKC

Almscliff NW face link ups.....?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
Did a link up of All Quiet into Western Front today. Sure it's been done plenty in the past but just wondering if anyone knows if it has a name and/or grade for it. I'd hazard a guess it's inevitably called all quiet on the western front? Anyway, it's probably the best pitch I've done at Almscliff, taking in the best sections of 4 classic routes and really nice and continuous. Is this the true 5* route of the crag?! On a similar theme, starting as for western front but then climbing the diagonal break/crack into the finish of crack of doom would give a good E2 5c(?) pitch. Name anyone?
Interestingly, both these lines make as much sense as that of Great Western really.
Sam L 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden: I don't have a guidebook to hand, but I seem to remember a route called All Quiet On The Western Front in there. Whether it's what you describe I can't remember but it seems pretty likely.
Sam
 andi turner 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden: It's probably the same grade as the original, as for the name, it's be silly to be called anything else!

You done Em's Telegram, that's brilliant too.
OP Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Sam L: yeah I havn't got the routes guide.... There's definitely 'All Quiet...' and 'Western Front' but don't remember seeing 'All Quiet on the Western Front' in there!
OP Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
In reply to andi turner:
> as for the name, it's be silly to be called anything else!
fair point

> You done Em's Telegram, that's brilliant too.

no, where does it go? (havn't got the guide)
 Lemony 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Sam L: Certainly nothing in the latest guide called All Quiet on the Western Front.
 Lemony 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden: "The Ems Telegram 20m E5 P2 1977
6b A tip-toe left and a bold lurch from a letterbox gain good holds on Western Front and good Friends. Swing left to the nose and a perfect small runner in a horizontal break (unfortunately hard to place). Another swng left and down (crux) leads to a good handhold below the base of the curving crack. Pull Awkwardly into this, getting tired by now, to join and finish up The Wall of Horrors."
OP Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Lemony: cool, thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden:
> Did a link up of All Quiet into Western Front today. Sure it's been done plenty in the past but just wondering if anyone knows if it has a name and/or grade for it. I'd hazard a guess it's inevitably called all quiet on the western front? Anyway, it's probably the best pitch I've done at Almscliff, taking in the best sections of 4 classic routes and really nice and continuous. Is this the true 5* route of the crag?! On a similar theme, starting as for western front but then climbing the diagonal break/crack into the finish of crack of doom would give a good E2 5c(?) pitch. Name anyone?
> Interestingly, both these lines make as much sense as that of Great Western really.

All Quiet links Wall of Horrors with Crack of Doom, which sounds like just where you went?

Chris
OP Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: I finished up western front though instead of going right to crack of doom. Slightly harder variation on All Quiet.
 andi turner 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Almost! You do the start of WOH, then traverse right until under the Y of Western Front, then climb the big diagonal crack to join the sling runner on Great Western/Crack of Doom and finish up Crack of Doom. What Steve did was climb to beneath the Y but then climb it, effectively throwing in the crux of western front for good measure.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jun 2008
In reply to andi turner:

OK - clear enough now.

Of course the point of All Quiet was to climb as much new rock as possible. I don't really think starting up one route and finishing up another is normally worthy of a separate entry - but then again.........

Chris
OP Ram MkiV 30 Jun 2008
In reply to andi turner: nice one. will give it a spin when it cools off a bit! Was reasonable conditions on that face today though with the breeze on it. Made a nice change from the lime anyway.
 andi turner 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden:

At least you'll know how to deal with crux on it now after doing All Quiet. It is a really good climb, good gear and pumpy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...