UKC

More Ratho troubles..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKB Shark 01 Jul 2008
In reply to PeterM:

I was surprised to see that they had secured funding on the new leading wall currently being built as its not as if there wasnt enough climbing square footage already - at least I assume there wasnt long queues for the routes before as if that was the case they would be massively profitable. The front-of-house manner is also diffident at best. All that said its a stunning venue.
 tony 01 Jul 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

I think the new lead wall was required in order to bring the place up to the necessary standards for international competitions, and I suspect that international competitions were part of the business plan when the council took over. So they sort of stitched themselves up, in a way.
OP PeterM 01 Jul 2008
In reply to tony:

I believe the roof has been an issue since it originally opened. I hope they get this sorted as quickly and as cost effectively as possible, otherwise this may be seen as a complete moneypit and have even more opposition. It could offer so much more....
 paulmcg 01 Jul 2008
In reply to PeterM: shame, i hope it can keep afloat.

i do wish it was easier to get to tho. it should have some transport links at least.
OP PeterM 01 Jul 2008
In reply to paulmcg:

Yep, for a laugh have a look at the EICA website and see the 'By Bus' part of 'Map and Directions'. The 'worlds biggest climbing wall' and no public transport to it. And they wonder why non-climbers bitch about the money spent on it.....
i.munro 14 Jul 2008
In reply to paulmcg:

I managed to get there by public transport one weekend when I was in town.
Can't say it was made particularly easy for me but once you've sorted it out it wouldn't be too bad.
 rusty_nails 14 Jul 2008
In reply to PeterM:

"It is understood that the roof at the EICA was installed without a protective coating that would have significantly prolonged its life."

penny pinching strikes again...
rrfsteve 11 Aug 2008
In reply to PeterM:

I would take what the Edinburgh Evening News says with a huge pinch of salt. By all accounts the majority of the roof was actualy sorted during the refurb, and it only needs to be sorted in parts. Have a look on the EICA website forum for a 'response' of types.

With the public transport thing, cant see that ever happening - not enough demand!
xix 20 Aug 2008
In reply to PeterM:
I was at the Ratho centre a week ago and it was showing no signs of roof damage.
There is a pile of work going on though, as they're putting in a few new walls.
Pity it's got such crappy transport links as it means having to take the car which stops an after climb visit to the pub. lol.

Oh, and they seem to have sorted the grades of the climbs out too which is nice.
 niggle 20 Aug 2008
The EICA staff have confirmed that this article is nonsense and the closure is a work of fiction:

http://forum.eica-ratho.com/index.php?topic=144.0
i.munro 20 Aug 2008
In reply to xix:

> Pity it's got such crappy transport links as it means having to take the car which stops an after climb visit to the pub. lol.

On a work trip one day I walked along the canal to Ratho then got the bus from there. The pub in ratho looked fine although I didn't have time to check it out. Does this not work any more then?
 Bill Davidson 20 Aug 2008
In reply to i.munro:

Quite a few people I know as well do this.
 zoobizooretta 20 Aug 2008
In reply to PeterM:

i've heard they are getting another comp wall built in there too.
 J Brown 20 Aug 2008
In reply to zoobizooretta:

The new comp wall is up - though no holds, and not in use yet. There's also a new "speed" wall and novice wall (between the original comp wall and main leading wall).

I gather that both of these should be in use soon.
Anonymous 20 Aug 2008
In reply to J Brown: I would invest in some new quickdraws first some of them are in a terrible state
Callums dad 24 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

Me and callum hitch hiked down their rescently as we were not comming to it from the city side.

the new walls were looking good, looked prety much ready to have the holds put on, duno what they were upto with the stylsaw but the fumes and dust got a bit much. lol

roof didnt seem so leaky cosidering the amount of rain, so not sure what the fuss is about their.

can someone please post when the walls are finished and open, ill get on the train and come up for a look.
In reply to rusty_nails:
> (In reply to PeterM)
>
> "It is understood that the roof at the EICA was installed without a protective coating that would have significantly prolonged its life."
>
> penny pinching strikes again...

It is in Scotland....
 Bill Davidson 25 Aug 2008
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Aw cmon now, you'll have to stop that, I about split my sides when I read that one!
 Fraser 25 Aug 2008
In reply to rrfsteve:
> (In reply to PeterM)
>
> I would take what the Edinburgh Evening News says with a huge pinch of salt. By all accounts the majority of the roof was actualy sorted during the refurb, and it only needs to be sorted in parts.

I talked to a few of the guys working in Ratho the other week, and they effectively said the same thing. There is no issue with the roof. It's media clap-trap, as usual.

The new speed wall and slabby one ajacent are complete but as of last week, are not yet open. The big, articulated wall is pretty much done, but awaiting some hydraulics apparently, and thereafter the Completion Certificate from the Council, which would need to be obtained before they could open it to the punters.

It's going to be an absolute cracker when finished and working!
In reply to Fraser:

Aye, unfortunately all the uber kids will have it in the fully down position!
Cant wait for it to open though
Callums dad 25 Aug 2008
In reply to Fraser: wich of the walls is articualated? would it be the grey/orange?
In reply to Callums dad:

Aye, it tilts forward from the top of the bit that looks like an hour glass. They might have to move the boulders back a bit!
 Fraser 25 Aug 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

I think it's just the angle foreshortening things a bit - the upper part of the articulated wall should be able to become a horizontal roof.
i know everyone like a wee moan now and then.......but, with regards to transport, you cant expect to have such a facility say in the city centre, or anywhere close as the cost would be humunguss, and the place wouldnt be financially viable. Sometimes a few sacrafices have to be made in order to go climbing (as is the nature of the sport), which might mean cycling or walking there (we could all do with the exercise) or take the time to orginise a lift share with other people, maybe through the forum on the eica web site. If you truely love to climb, then the location shouldnt be an issue.

Happy cranking!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...