UKC

The Westway, any good for bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikePemberton 05 Aug 2008

I think the question is fairly clear from the title, but I'm thinking of stopping by the Westway this evening for the first time. I'll be on my own, and can't really be arsed with ropes when climbing indoors anyway - is the bouldering as good as at The Castle? How busy does it get mid-week, horribly, or just moderately

Cheers all.
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2008
In reply to MikePemberton:

The bouldering is less crowded than the castle and the main (new) wall is fairly uniform ie 20-40 deg overhanging. the probs are quite hard even at the v2/3 level.
i.munro 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Did my registration there a very long time ago but I seem to remember it being a bit of a faff?
MikePemberton 05 Aug 2008

Thanks, I'll take a wonder along later and hope the registration doesn't take too long.
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2008
In reply to i.munro:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
>
> Did my registration there a very long time ago but I seem to remember it being a bit of a faff?

i thought that was only if you want to use ropes, ie they will give you a belaying test (which i nearly failed after 15ys of climbing).

if you just want to boulder reg. sh be a lot easier.
 Lego 05 Aug 2008
In reply to i.munro:

There's a couple of real jobsbodies in the staff there, the biggest and most stuck up being a guy who often appears wearing women's clothes!?

As my Grandma often says, there's none queer as folk...
 Morgan Woods 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Lego:
> (In reply to i.munro)
>
> a guy who often appears wearing women's clothes!?

objection....relevance!
 mynameisjen 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Lego:

i like that guy, he always says hi to me, even though i have no idea who he is

in reply to the op: i'm pretty sure you'll have to do an induction. its just:
1. put on a harness
2. tie in
3. belay right
4. fill in a form
takes 15 mins i would have thought, not much hassle
 gingerdave13 05 Aug 2008
> (In reply to Lego)
> [...]
>
>
> objection....relevance!

seconded.
i.munro 05 Aug 2008
In reply to mynameisjen:

15 mins to register on top of (probaly) queuing to pay would certainly be enough to put me off making a one-off visit.
Sersh 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Lego:
> (In reply to i.munro)
>
> There's a couple of real jobsbodies in the staff there, the biggest and most stuck up being a guy who often appears wearing women's clothes!?
>

Maybe if you were doing everything right he/we wouldn't have a problem.

The bouldering on the new wall is good.... thats if you can pull hard.
 Ade7 05 Aug 2008
In reply to MikePemberton: Remember the new bouldering wall is behind the old one, you might not know it was there if you’d never been before.

Never seen a guy wearing women’s clothes before, I’ll keep an eye out for him/her.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...