UKC

Wilderness Gully- the new Kinder Downfall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
martin k 11 Dec 2002
After spending a glorious three hours in the moonlit recesses of the chew valley last night, Kinder Downfall finally has a local competitor! Wilderness Gully East is excellent! hard, thin ice everywhere, frozen turf and a glorious (i.e.distant) view of the slime that is Manchester. It only takes twenty five minutes walking up a tarmac road to get there...so what's everyone waiting for, I wonder?
Tony Marshall 11 Dec 2002
In reply to martin k:
How much ice? is the main waterfall frozen?

T
 LakesWinter 11 Dec 2002
In reply to martin k: er, someone to tell them it's in I reckon, it will be swamped tonight now!
 Al Evans 11 Dec 2002
In reply to MattG: Sutty, isnt that where Gray West was killed in an avalanche?
Tony Marshall 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Al Evans: There has been a few over the years, the problem is that the waterfall is comprised of masses of loose rock that tends to give wway.

T
 sutty 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Al Evans:
Don't know the exact spot, thought he was near the sugarloaf boulder and the whole slope avalanched to a depth of 12ft. Of course it was a long time ago and it would take some searching of records to find the details.

There should be some sport round about Ravenstones if there is in Wilderness Gully.
there is a short gully near the top of Woodhead that might just have a pitch in it, no more though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...