UKC

Touring kayak advice please :0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fauvé 19 Aug 2008
Hi folks,
as per the title, after some advice.

I have recently borrowed my friends old kayak and paddled a few lakes around Slovenia, Switzerland and really enjoyed it even though in the past being in the water scared me. Probably not the actual water, but the fact I found it difficult to squeeze out of the kayak, seemed to have mastered that fear now.

Anyway, the one I borrowed was a sit on scooter which was good, but I had a paddle in his perception Carolina Exped 14 which was awesome and I want one!

Looking for one that I can use on lakes, close shoreline, lochs etc, nothing too far out into the sea. Want to be able to paddle and take enough kit for a couple of days on the hills (good article in Trail this month) to make my own wee adventures.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you have any advice, would be grand.

Thanks guy and gals :0)
Fauvé x
 Paul at work 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Fauvé:

Get an open canoe. Loads of room for taking kit and you can paddle it tandem if you wish.
Anglesey Pete 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Fauvé: Pauls suggestion of an open canoe is very valid, particularly if you're looking at more sheltered inland waters.

If you really want a kayak though, these are pretty tidy for the sort of paddling you describe...

http://www.venturekayaks.com/page1.php?Page=56
Fauvé 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Paul at work:

Cheers Paul,
I did think about an open canoe, but fancied the idea of an enclosed one.
Although I see the advantage as far as the amount of kit goes.

Might have to have another look, but really wanted one the same as my mates!

Ta for the advice again
:0)
In reply to Fauvé: Tried to email you, but apparently your email doesn't work?
Fauvé 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Anglesey Pete:

Hi Pete,

thats the type of thing I would like to have. They all seem so expensive so I will defo be going down the 2nd hand route. Have seen a few on fleabay for about 400 squids which I'm prepared to pay.

Ta for the link :0)
Fauvé 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Anglesey Pete:

Eeek!

Haven't used it for a while so will log on now and bring it back into life!
In reply to Fauvé: Drop me an email as I can offer you a package deal that may be of interest to you?
pedalmonkey 19 Aug 2008
In reply to Fauvé: Not claiming to be a expert on canoeing but having just returned from a small trip (4 days) I'd be in favor of the kayak. Just for the speed and ease of paddling, me and the wife had kayaks with all our kit for camping and room to spare. On the other hand my bro+sis in-law had open canoe (Pelican explorer) and it was soooo slow we could have done twice the distance of them. And it was really hard work paddling that all day, so it has more room but but that means more weight more work, I find the ease and speed the best bit about canoe camping.
In reply to Fauvé: Just seen these listed on another site:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36219

Might be just what you're looking for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...