UKC

Route(s) on the Kame, Foula, Shetland, late 80s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sgiand 26 Aug 2008
Does anyone know of any published info (books, magazine articles, journal articles) on some routes that were done on the Kame, Foula, Shetland in the late 80s and were the subject of a BBC film involving, as far as I can remember, Johnny Dawes, Pete Whillance, possibly Paul Nunn?
 SFM 28 Aug 2008
In reply to sgiand:

I would try Andy Nisbet through the SMC as you first port of call. He may be able to help.
 Deri Jones 28 Aug 2008
In reply to sgiand: Dave Turnbull at the BMC would probably be your best bet - he's done a fair bit up there.
 Adam Long 28 Aug 2008
In reply to sgiand:

The climbers were Johnny Dawes and Dave Thomas, I've chatted to them about it but I don't think any info is online.

As far as I know, whilst The Kame is the biggest cliff on Foula (2nd highest in UK?) its not so great for climbing with a lot of grass at half height.

Nebbifield on the other hand looks incredible. Dave Turnbull did a route on it 5 or so years back, I think there was an earlier route too. The main problem seems to be getting to the base of the routes.
http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Reviews/37_Edge/FoulaHigh.html
RP 18 Sep 2008
In reply to Adam L: It was summer 1988, as part of a group working with Sid Perou organised by Abigail Mann and myself a film was made and broadcast by the BBC which included several routes on Foula including the Kame. Jonny Dawes, Dave Thomas, Pete Whillance, and Paul Nunn were also in the group.
There is better climbing on Foula than the Kame, but access to the cleaner rock presents difficulties - it is clean for a reason and the island is quite exposed.
 Andy Nisbet 18 Sep 2008
In reply to sgiand:

Other routes on Foula are in Northern Highlands North, and were written up by Dave Turnbull. I can't remember why the earlier routes weren't included (though I was told at the time). Either descriptions weren't available or they weren't worthwhile. I've a feeling that it was the latter, something like they just went a short way up the cliff and abseiled off, but I'm not sure. If you're really keen, contact Dave Turnbull

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...