UKC

PREVIEW: Who's Who in British Climbing by Colin Wells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 06 Oct 2008
The publishing sensation of the decade: Who's Who in British Climbing

"Because of this idiosyncratic selection process there will be at least four groups of people who will hate this book:

1) Everyone who is in it.
2) Everyone who isn't in it.
3) Bearded men in comfortable cardigans who attend mountain literature festivals.
4) People who post on internet forums. "

Colin Wells gives us more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1242
 sutty 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Terry Gifford almost certainly then.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to sutty: Me and you too then Sutty
 sutty 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

Cunning bloke that reyan chap, gets a catch all list so people will have to go and get it to see where they fit.

Do people who are in it get a discount?
Do people who are not in it get a discount?
Do people on internet forums get a discount?

1) Everyone who is in it.
2) Everyone who isn't in it.
3) Bearded men in comfortable cardigans who attend mountain literature festivals.
4) People who post on internet forums.
 Mick Ward 06 Oct 2008
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Al Evans)

> 3) Bearded men in comfortable cardigans who attend mountain literature festivals.

Mick Ryan, 2015?? (Y'all saw it here first!)

Mick
 GrahamD 06 Oct 2008

I score 3/4. The book looks good though.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: How many of the photos on the cover can you put a name too? Only a few in my case, which is shirley a good thing?
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley: I think I only score 2/4 or maybe 3/4 if you push it
 Doug 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Well who is on the cover
Andy Nisbet
Eric Shipton
Pete Livesey
Alex MacIntyre
Ron Fawcett
Joe Brown
Hamish MacInnes
Dougal Haston (?)
Al ? of Deniolen fame (can't remember his name)

the others ?
Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008

He calls his audience "dear reader" which I consider absolutely reprehensible and crawly (yeuch) and it's unneccesary! Combine this with the smugness of his 4 points and the fact that he dimisses the same audience in point 4 that he earlier calls "dear readers" and I'm really put off by his manner. Further if we're going to hate it as a matter of course why post a review on a forum hosting website anyway - more tongue in cheek smugness (yeuch yeuch).

It wouldn't usually matter in a review but since he's the author of the book in question I now worry about the tone of the book.

I'm effectively put off his book by the style of his review.

2/10 - I'll get it out of the library at some point.
 NickD 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Thank's for pointing that out.
Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008
In reply to NickD:

Where'd she go?
 NickD 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot: How odd. I should have quoted her, because now I look like a proper div.
 Tall Clare 06 Oct 2008
In reply to NickD:

sorry! it just seemed churlish to leave the comment there once the issue had been amended.
 NickD 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: No worry's. Its just that my comment make's no sen'se anymore
 Tyler 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot:

Its a preview not a review. I read the original Who's who article that Colin Wells wrote and it really was very funny - something you almost never see in climbing writing no matter how much some people try. I'm really looking forward to the book but in fairness I think you are right it's probably not for you requiring, as it does, at least a modicum of a sense of humour.

Spare me the ".....but I have got a sense of humour its just that this is just a purile load......etc, etc." you've demonstrated yourself to be far too closed minded and take yourself far too seriously for that to possibly be the case.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Along with somebody else of course
Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler:

I never justify my sense of humour, but I fail to see how a difference of opinion to yours demonstrates a closed mind?

Are you perhaps projecting?
Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot:

Oh and although you have an advantage over me in having read part of the actual book, and that may have been great, can I ask did you actually find that preview 'funny'?
 Guy 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Doug: others:-
Simon Nadin
Don Whillans
Joe Tasker
Pete Boardman
Ben Moon
John Dunne
Jerry Moffat
Mick Fowler

You are right that is Dougal Haston
 Tyler 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Wrongfoot:

The closed mind comment was based on you discounting the entire book based on being addressed as 'dear reader' and taking umbridge at being "dismissed" in the review, you poor dear.

I think they're:

Nadin, Whillans, Livesey, Tasker
Boardman, Brown, Moon, Dunne,
Moffat?, Puttrell, Smythe, Harris, Fawcett,
Bonington, MacInnes, Mummery, Fowler, Haston

Not quite sure about Smythe. May be Tilman as Chris C has suggested.
Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler:

That perhaps demonstrates over-sensitivity, or a bee in my bonnet about "dear reader", but not a closed mind. I may be a poor dear but you seem to be ignorant of the meaning of the pejorative you aimed at me. I am of course retaining an open mind as to whether you are simply ignorant of this single definition or just stupid.

And I didn't discount the entire book, I said I'd get it out of the library and that I was concerned at the implication of the authors' preview for the tone of the book.

In reply to Wrongfoot:

It's worked! You hate it already and you've not even looked at a copy. The man's a genius!

Wrongfoot 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Stephen Reid:

LOL self-fulfilling prophecy and I'm just a #4 on his list, if all the 1's 2's and 3's follow suit this could be the biggest publishing flop in history. 5 or 10 years later it'll become a cult book with copies changing hands for far more than Extreme Rock ever did...

Maybe I'd better buy up a few?
 duncan 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Tilman/Smythe is Eric Shipton: http://www.mounteverest.net/story/images/20050301xshipton1.jpg

You've missed out the caver between Brown and Fawcett. I remember the photo in Crags, is it Paul Nunn? Tom Proctor??

Moffatt is correct.

</removes anorak>

In reply to Heike: why did you delete your question?!
 net 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I wonder if all the entries are male, or whether that's just the front cover pictures ...
In reply to duncan:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Tilman/Smythe is Eric Shipton: http://www.mounteverest.net/story/images/20050301xshipton1.jpg
>
> You've missed out the caver between Brown and Fawcett. I remember the photo in Crags, is it Paul Nunn? Tom Proctor??

Ah, so I did. The picture is so small and with eyes partly obscured it's really hard to see. It could just about be Tom Proctor, but I didn't think he was known ever to wear a helmet. It also looks a bit like Roger Baxter-Jones, but I'm not sure he'd make it into the hall of fame. It doesn't look much like Paul Nunn.

>
> Moffatt is correct.
>
> </removes anorak>
>
> In reply to Heike: why did you delete your question?!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Oct 2008

It is Paul Nunn, I remember the shot in a Crags mag way back!

Chris
 Doug 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Doug:

> Al ? of Deniolen fame (can't remember his name)
>
Al Harris ?

Heike 06 Oct 2008
Because I thought I'll never get an answer to that one anyways - people will say that women haven't done anything of note, and I'd have to argue against that....feeling in a defeatist mood today!
 tony 06 Oct 2008
> Nadin, Whillans, Livesey, Tasker
> Boardman, Brown, Moon, Dunne,
> Moffat?, Puttrell, Smythe, Harris, Fawcett,
> Bonington, MacInnes, Mummery, Fowler, Haston
>
Bottom left is Andy Nisbet, not Bonington, isn't it?
 Burnsie 06 Oct 2008

It's Andy Nisbet bottom left - I've seen the pic before, if i could engage the brain i'd tell you what route it was.
In reply to Doug:

Yes, Al Harris.
 net 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Heike: Oh was that what your question was around too? (I didn't see it before I posted). It's ok, you shouldn't have worried, everyone's ignored me anyway.
 alan edmonds 06 Oct 2008

Is it not WP Haskett Smith rather than Puttrell?
 alan edmonds 06 Oct 2008
In reply to alan edmonds:

Definitely Haskett Smith. The same photo is featured in Mountain magazine number 30.
 TobyA 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Burnsie:

> It's Andy Nisbet bottom left - I've seen the pic before, if i could engage the brain i'd tell you what route it was.

Salmon's Leap on Liathach.

It was in the Fyfe and Peter's "Handbook of Climbing" which I had on pretty much permanent loan from Stourport library from 1990 to 1991 and was the closest I came to ever doing a climbing course! Most of the other pics from the book are likewise engraved in my brain.
 Burnsie 06 Oct 2008
In reply to TobyA:

i think your right - it's in one of the guides too.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Its Paul and he is coming out of the valley exit from Kingsdale master cave.
 GrahamD 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Heike:

Maybe fart lighting features prominently in the book and British women just haven't been holding their end up in that department ?
In reply to alan edmonds:
> (In reply to alan edmonds)
>
> Definitely Haskett Smith. The same photo is featured in Mountain magazine number 30.

Ah - it's a very small picture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...