UKC

Writing a trip report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 15 Oct 2008
I've been asked to write a trip report from my trip to the alps, to be posted on a website for my university climbing club.

Thing is, I've never written one before...

What do I include?

Ta
 JDDD 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: Errrr - what you did, where you went, how it felt. Not rocket science really.
OP GarethSL 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Jon Dittman: well the thing is there was a group of thirty of us, I cant write for all of them so do I just say what i did or find out from them what they did?
 Frank4short 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: I'd suggest just mentioning you & the people immediately associated with you's experiences. maybe give an honourable mention to any more notable going ons by others in the group.
Soren Lorenson 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord:
Must include
Who shagged who.
Who was the arsehole that pissed in the hostel dorm.
Who was crying with the drink because fit birds don't dig engineering undergrads.
Who had the biggest negative delta from wall grade to outside.
Fashion disasters.
Worst chat up line.

In the day what happened on tour stayed on tour, but the yoofs want it all on the net so spill big time.
 climbingrick 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord:

i think it would all depend on who its for. ie official records H+S need to be very accurate and 'matter of fact' etc...
For your club web site however its going to be more of a review or summary.
approach it like you would any other story or essay,

start, middle and end, with clear links.

- include the build up to the event

- random bits that made you laugh.

- make it flow, as there’s nothing worse than 'then we did this and then we did that.....'

- get input from the others on the trip.

- write it with your target audience in mind, i should imagine its to get the freshers interested so think about that.

- include details every one wants to know i.e. what, where, when, why, who, how – cost, useful sites for info etc..

other than that im crap at writing so cant help
OP GarethSL 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: cheers guys
 Frank4short 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: Or failing all of the above you could just say no?
In reply to Frank4short: Here you are; amend as appropriate.

In June/July/August/other this/last year, thirty/twenty/ten/two people went to the Alps/The Rockies/The Himalaya/the pub for the first time/again.
When we arrived, conditions were perfect/mixed/shocking and stayed that way throughout/changed to perfect/mixed/shocking later.
Immediately, we shot off up the hill/started to plan our routes/put the tents up and ate/went to the pub/got friendly with the locals.
It was the start of one of the most/least memorable/forgettable experiences I've ever had.
We did everything/almost everything/some of the things/nothing I'd hoped to do and a great deal more/less.
Out of all the memories I have of the trip, the one that will live with me the longest is seeing my first alpine dawn/getting to my first summit/surviving my first avalanche/having my first kiss/throwing the first punch in a fight with the locals.
I will never forget the excitement of waking up in a tent pitched on a glacier/an alpine hut/the cells/a young lady's bedroom for the first time.
I am so pleased my companions were with me/somewhere else.
We have all brought back lots of photographs/bruises/genital warts and will be showing them off at the first club meet/hospital later this week.

feel free to circulate this amongst other clubs.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...