UKC

Youngest person to onsight E7?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 07 Nov 2008
Anyone? Been done at 16?
 Will Goldsmith 07 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:

I know that Leo Houlding onsighted Masters Wall at 15/16....
 Liam Copley 07 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald: "its not how old you are, its how long you've been climbing"
 muppetfilter 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: No it isnt
 JSA 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

i've been climbing 23 years and still haven't onsighted E7 before i was 17
 kevin stephens 07 Nov 2008

I'd be more impressed by the oldest person to on-sight their first E7
(50 and still improving so hope yet)
 J.Wells 07 Nov 2008
In reply to kevin stephens:

a good point, and very true.

but Liam, while I do agree with you about how long you've been climbing should count for more than how old you are, at the end of the day, the media only cares about how young you are. Boulderers like Keith Bradbury only get passing mentions commenting on how fast they've improved (though Neil gresham did give him an interview I think)
Anonymous 07 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald: franco has onsighted E5.. near enough?
 Will Goldsmith 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

But there are many people who have onsighted lots of E5's when they were younger than Franco.
 Liam Copley 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Anonymous: near enough? E5 to E7? lol
 jbird 08 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald: yeh one has, well nearly... i think they call him dead little charlie
In reply to Anonymous:
E5 is sod all really, especially the E5s i've climbed. But I like to think/ know that if i'd started earlier I would be a better climber now. It doesn't matter that much, we'll still end up at the same end point, but it would be cool to be climbing E7s now.

To the OP: As it is obviously a goal you have i'll share with you my limitting factors:
*living in an area with not that many accurately graded hard routes
*a terrible 17th summer for weather.
*trips to the peak generally having something wrong with them- cold, washout, not feeling great
*finding someone who has such a ludicrous ambition to tick grades that are so far above their own ability for a partner.
*certain events that messed with my head a bit.
*going to the alps- whilst I do not regret it as it was amazing, it doesn't help your trad that much.
 muppetfilter 08 Nov 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> (In reply to Anonymous)

I pissed myself when i saw you post anonymously and answer. Have you ever thought about shagging Russel Brand and getting Max Clifford as an agent?? Then people might actually care what you do!!!

just do it safely.......
 Wee Davie 08 Nov 2008

>*finding someone who has such a ludicrous ambition to tick grades that are so far above their own ability for a partner.

Try match.com- put that in yer 'about me' section.

Davie
 petestack 08 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> E5 is sod all really

No, it's not! And there are many competent climbers (myself included) who'll never, ever approach that standard...

So, while it looks like you're already technically more able than me or many others of much longer experience, you've also proved time and time again here that you've little regard for anything that doesn't match up to your overblown ego and much to learn on the road to becoming a rounded (no, I don't mean fat!) climber.

So E5's sod all to you? VS might be sod all to someone else and V Diff to yet another, but we never see the real top climbers talking things down in the belittling way you seem compelled to do. Good climbers give good advice, not sneer!
 JSA 08 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:

i'd like to see him on China Syndrome at almscliff :0)
In reply to petestack: in the 'grand scheme of things' E5 isn't very much. Like I said the E5s I have climbed aren't very hard at all. E5 is a very hard grade for me, hence why I haven't climbed any proper ones. That statement was meant in the opposite way as an ego-driven statement, you should just chill out a little. and that previous post wasn't by me- check the IP address.
 thomasadixon 08 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:

Bit of a harsh response that. He's quite obviously saying that E5's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things, not that it's generally easy (he added the ones he's done as well, so he's not putting down anyone else).
 kevin stephens 08 Nov 2008
In reply to thomasadixon:

Indeed, having ticked the odd soft E5, whilst failing on some classic E3s in the same summer does not an E5 climber make, indeed I guess this is typical of many folk on UKC (me included)

re the OP, just because a youngster on-sights an E7 doesn't mean they would be an E7 climber
 petestack 08 Nov 2008
> you should just chill out a little.

Perhaps.

> and that previous post wasn't by me- check the IP address.

Did I say it was? (Nope, I didn't even mention it, but perhaps you're not replying to me there?)

petestack 08 Nov 2008
> so he's not putting down anyone else

Perhaps not this time, but there's evidence enough throughout these forums of disregard for the achievements of those less able.

In reply to petestack: iy, to that muppet.
 petestack 08 Nov 2008
> He's quite obviously saying that E5's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things

So there are how many grades below it? And how many above? And it's unimpressive enough to be 'sod all really'? Whatever, I still beg to differ!
 petestack 08 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:
> So there are how many grades below it? And how many above?

Or perhaps even (given the subject of this thread) how many onsightable grades below it? And how many above?

In reply to petestack: where're taking about the best achievements in the world though, in that scale it is nothing.
 petestack 08 Nov 2008

Perhaps, but life might be very disappointing if we're constantly measuring ourselves against the best in the world in everything we do!

So this is not a plea for mediocrity when goals and aspirations are good for all of us, but climbing E5 is still impressive to me, and onsighting it even more so.
In reply to petestack: i aint comparing myself to the best, someone else did. I'm happyish with how hard I climb, but want to get better.

In Reply to the OP: Ioan Doyle climbed E7 at 18. And that's a proper route, a soft touch perhaps, but a proper route.
 muppetfilter 08 Nov 2008

"British youngsters take america by storm"

That was written in january 1999 when you were less of a slip of a lad than you still are.This was about Bransby, Hammond and Houlding. Great climbers who just went out there and climbed at the age of 18.No gobbiness just actual talent.

Less mouth and more trousers and you never know.....
 mr mills 08 Nov 2008

Callum Musket - The Cad - E6

Rainbow of Recaltricent - E6

Midsummer`s Night Dreams P1 E5/E6 ?

Age - 14 One young hotshot !

Out of action at this moment with a broken shoulder
playing rugby !
 john howard 1 08 Nov 2008
In reply to mr mills: Wow!Very impressive, that's a shame about his shoulder, hope it recovers quick and gets back on the rock.
In reply to mr mills: they're proper routes.
 kareylarey 09 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald: Pearson's first lead - E7 at 17 maybe.
In reply to kareylarey: he didn't climb it though, he headpointed it.
 petestack 09 Nov 2008

So you're quite right to point out that headpointing doesn't count in the context of this thread ('Youngest person to onsight E7?'), but I'm still intrigued by your use of the word 'climb' (like did you really mean he didn't climb it?).
 john howard 1 09 Nov 2008
> (In reply to kareylarey) he didn't climb it though, he headpointed it.

Did you mean to type "he didn't onsight it though, he headpointed it."?
In reply to john howard 1:

freud still lives.
 kareylarey 09 Nov 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson: Oh I didn't realise he headpointed it. What is his hardest onsight? Tried Life Assurance yet?
In reply to kareylarey: I intended to last week, but it snowed and then the car broke down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...