UKC

Highball boulder problem or Micro route - Grading?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 04 Jan 2009
Ok, many appologies if this has recently been done (i'm sure it has but i did a search and came up with nothing)

If a route is, say, 6m high, has some 4b/4c/5a climbing on it and a 5c/6a sequence half way up, a flat landing but also gear, how would you grade it?

Do you grade it for leading or soloing with a mat?

E1 6a?

V3 6a?

??????

many thanks

Derbyshire Ben 04 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King:

The new BMC grit guides do both. They show the trad route grade (E1 6a) and then after the description show a V grade if it has been highballed.
 James Oswald 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Derbyshire Ben:
Both ways I think it should be done.

Also......... what grade if there is no gear?

E3 6a with out mats?

and.......at what height does a boulder problem become a trad solo?
 James Oswald 04 Jan 2009
There is none it is personal.
James
Derbyshire Ben 04 Jan 2009

>Also......... what grade if there is no gear?

Doesn't matter.. if it's a route with no gear it's graded accordingly. If it is subsequently highballed it also gets a V Grade.

>at what height does a boulder problem become a trad solo?

That's been done to death on here.
 Graeme Hammond 04 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: a route is, say, 6m high, has some 4b/4c/5a climbing on it and a 5c/6a sequence half way up, a flat landing but also gear, how would you grade it?

HVS 6a / highball V2/3??
 James Oswald 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
I assume that means the crux is well protected?
In reply to james oswald:

yes "a flat landing but also gear"
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
>
>
> Also......... what grade if there is no gear?
>
> E3 6a with out mats?

e3 seems a bit high for a 6m route with a flat landing with one 6a crux move at half height even if there is no gear,
 Bulls Crack 04 Jan 2009

It depends if you use a mat.

Grade it for without and let others make the adjustments.
 Simon 04 Jan 2009

All you need to know from Uncle Grimer...

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2857

Si
 Strife 04 Jan 2009
Personally I'm happy to boulder up to 7m with a flat landing and pads, and I consider anything above that a solo. Giving a trad grade to a 6m route is ridiculous in my opinion.
 Michael Ryan 04 Jan 2009
> Ok, many appologies

Yes and you do need to apologise, pay attention.

Click on these links will you

Nov 29: E8 Ground Up at the Buttermilk

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45476

Dec 8: Dan Varian Repeats Superbloc E8/Font 8a

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45495

Apr 26: E-grades for American Highball Boulder Problems

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=04&year=2007#n36307
Bolt Chopper 04 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: if you can fall off it with only minor injury then it's a boulder problem.
 Simon 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Strife:

>Giving a trad grade to a 6m route is ridiculous in my opinion.

Why? If its got gear (no matter how poor) people will still want to climb it as a trad route with no mats & the landing might be gash!

I did a new route in Froggatt Woods thats about six metres - landings awfull and I did it with two crappy side nuts - no mats... it never entered my head to give it a bouldering grade!! (it came out as E1 5b) If you wanted to build a patio of Mats - strap down a few spotters to some tree's you might just be able to high ball it!

Bit like the 'The Swooper' at Stanage - but not as hard...

;0)

Thats why Grimer's article should be read - its the philosophy of the Peak Guide Team - thats not to say it's spot on - but it makes sense I guess!

si

Michael Ryan 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Simon:
>
>
> All you need to know from Uncle Grimer...
>
> http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2857

It's been done to death before that johnny cum lately.

Jon_Warner 04 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: You could take the Javu approach and just give it an english tech grade... i.e. 6a and avoid the whole argument altogether, seems to make sense to me.
 Simon 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> It's been done to death before that johnny cum lately.

True - but its no harm in doing it again for these folks today ey Mick?

You have a lot of yoofs on here and they can always learn from the BMC Johnnies!

;0)
 pottsworth 04 Jan 2009
I'd generally say that if you used a bouldering pad, give it a bouldering grade, if you lead it, give it a lead grade
 James Oswald 04 Jan 2009
In reply to pottsworth:
So if you lead The Indian Face with mat at the bottom what does it get?
 Michael Ryan 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
>
> True - but its no harm in doing it again for these folks today ey Mick?
>
> You have a lot of yoofs on here and they can always learn from the BMC Johnnies!
>
> ;0)

Cut the smileys Simon. They suck.
 Simon 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> Cut the smileys Simon. They suck.

Cut the American Slang Mick. Its Crap.

;0)
In reply to james oswald: You'll more than likely get a darwin award!
 Al Evans 05 Jan 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton: Until comparatively recently a route had to be 8mts to gain route status in the BMC guides, before that it was 20ft.
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Alasdair Fulton) Until comparatively recently a route had to be 8mts to gain route status in the BMC guides, before that it was 20ft.

yeah but until comparatively recently werent routes climbed in nailed boots?
 Al Evans 05 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: I think at least firés had already come about at the time I'm talking about, cetainly post 1990 as some of the BMC guides were still in ft then. The Staffs guide '89 was mts the Kinder guide '90 was still in ft.

Mark Stevenson 05 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: IMO anything that is remotely worth V3 as a boulder problem with a moderately high crux is worth at least E2.

We need to remember that E-grades are for ONSIGHT ascents. I'm a pretty well-rounded climber and I onsight a similar percentage of E3s as I do V3s. Anyone who is consistently flashing V3 but not onsighting E2 is doing something wrong.

Those that are stating HVS 6a as an option are talking bollocks. That grade is pretty much never justified except where the 6a move is straight off the ground. And even then a grade like V2 6a with a guidebook comment like VS or HVS to top out, is far a better option.

Michael Ryan 05 Jan 2009
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

> We need to remember that E-grades are for ONSIGHT ascents.

Is that official?
 jkarran 05 Jan 2009

Were it the first ascent, I'd write it up for the style in which it was done Vx if bouldered, HVS/Ex if lead. Were I just writing it up for a guide/topo I'd give both assuming it makes sense to climb it in either style (worthwhile runners for leading and acceptable height/landing for bouldering to feel comfortable).

E grade without runners... I always find 5a moves with feet at 4m much scarier than 6a moves with feet at 2m so I guess it'd very much depend on the exact nature of the route/problem and how it feels. Also, insecure moves or very powerful moves where you will explode off in a surprised flurry of limbs are much scarier than the same grade straight-down edge pulling.

jk
 Jon Stewart 05 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King: It's quite hard to describe the difficulty of highballs using the various grading systems on offer (not that I'm suggesting we have an H-grade). I like what the BMC guides are doing, giving both in various combinations of brackets.

The thing that bothers me is:

a) flashing a strenuous sit-start lowball V3 and thinking "that has added next to nothing to my experience of climbing" and then

b)slapping, heart-in-mouth, for the top of a sustained, teetery highball V3 with a slightly iffy landing, and thinking "oh my god, that was an incredible experience I will never forget"

and being told that these are "worth" the same in terms of difficulty. Highball V3 can't generally be climbed by anyone with a lowball bouldering limit of V3. How many V3 boulderers who have never led an E1 would get up Pig's Ear or DIY, for example?

Equally, onsighting a proper E3 is much different to bouldering out a highball, falling/jumping off onto pads from gradually higher up until you eventually get to the top.

So, in answer to the orginal question, I support "E1 6a (highball V3)".

Or we could just go back to how it used to be, and grade every single one HVS 5c regardless of difficulty (more Stanage examples: Not to be taken away, Love Handles, DIY, Mating Toads, etc etc).

P.S. If anyone would like to tell to try climbing somewhere else other than Stanage, I tried the other day at Slipstones, but it was covered in snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...