UKC

New Zealand fauna - some questions and observations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 12 Jan 2009
I've been rummaging around this weekend for information about New Zealand, and have three thoughts/questions:

1) How many of you have seen a sperm whale 'in the flesh'? I'm now *very* excited at the prospect of seeing one.

2) are weta as terrifying as the pictures of them appear? I understand that they're pretty harmless, but they can be the size of a mouse? eek! How, er, how prevalent are they?

3) the weta's main natural predator is the amusingly named Morepork owl. Just thought Darren Jackson might like to know about that.
 ring ouzel 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: 1) Yes, saw 2 off Kaikoura. Do it Clare but take seasickness tablets as it can get quite rough.
2) I dont think we saw any weta. 3) You (or Darren) will be very lucky to see an owl but you should hear them. There has to be somebody in NZ who has one in captivity and has called it 'Ankh'.

thin bob 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
1) no, but might do soon....funny really, i'm not that bothered, but feel I ought to do it!
2) ARGH!the beggrs live in trees..and are probably primed, right now, to leap on pale british skin & sink various sharp & spiny parts into said skin
3) can you hire these morepork owls from anywhere?

seriously, i think i saw only a couple of weta's & people said they were into just minding thier own bizniss, for the most part.

you'll hate "this specimen has an overall length of 20cm (8in)" but you'll appreciate "the cave weta has a passivve demeanor" despite having "extra long antennae"
 MG 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Trivia: NZ has no native land mammals.
OP Tall Clare 12 Jan 2009
In reply to thin bob:

it's strange, I'm not bothered about dolphin and the like, but the thought of seeing a whale - oh my *word* that's exciting for me.
In reply to MG:

I was about to mention a certain sort of bat but it's not strictly land, is it?
 MG 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: There are bats I believe.
 MG 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Dolphins are amazing too if you are in a kayak. They play around your wake and get really close - actually bump you.
In reply to MG:

they do sound exciting, but not as exciting as sperm whales. Though I imagine that if one is in a kayak, being nudged by a dolphin is preferable to being nudged by a whale.
 toad 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Kaikoura whale watching is fantastic. You'll almost certainly see them blowing and the big tail in the air thing as they dive. I really can't describe just how excited I was when I saw this. More than made up for the fact that the "safety officer" was holding my breakfast in a waxed paper bag at the time. Sea sickness is a cert, unless it's millpond, and they use big shallow draughted boats to get out to the whales quickly, and they wallow like a pig in a mudbath.

You'll be lucky to see ANY non avian wildlife, but forget Weta, worry about sandflies. Buy your repellent locally, as apparently they aren't bothered by DEET. Although, it is quite amusing to see the locals get het up over them. They are as nothing compared to the midge / horsefly /cleg infestations of home.

And watch out for Kea. They look cute, act cute and will have your lunch before you, if you give them a chance. All other interesting NZ birdlife is essentially doomed to extinction, 'cos they can't compete with rats, weasels and polecats
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Kaikoura whale watching is fantastic. You'll almost certainly see them blowing and the big tail in the air thing as they dive. I really can't describe just how excited I was when I saw this. More than made up for the fact that the "safety officer" was holding my breakfast in a waxed paper bag at the time. Sea sickness is a cert, unless it's millpond, and they use big shallow draughted boats to get out to the whales quickly, and they wallow like a pig in a mudbath.

hurrah hurrah! and I'll remember the seasickness pills...
>
> You'll be lucky to see ANY non avian wildlife, but forget Weta, worry about sandflies. Buy your repellent locally, as apparently they aren't bothered by DEET. Although, it is quite amusing to see the locals get het up over them. They are as nothing compared to the midge / horsefly /cleg infestations of home.

oo, good call.

>
> And watch out for Kea. They look cute, act cute and will have your lunch before you, if you give them a chance. All other interesting NZ birdlife is essentially doomed to extinction, 'cos they can't compete with rats, weasels and polecats

I've heard lots about kea - they were being likened to the monkeys at some UK safari parks, in a 'mischievous' kind of way.

Tom Last 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hi Clare.

Yes, as said previously, get yourself to Kaikoura, you'll see loads of the buggers (sperm whales/dolphins, etc).

Amusingly for my girlfriend, I actually had a Morepork dive at my face. It was quite shocking, but all over rather quickly I'm glad to say. He veered off once he realised that I wasn't that good looking after all.

Also try to get to see penguins (lots of places) and sea-lions in the Catlins; I nearly trod on a big bull by accident!!

The royal albatrosses are also very cool off of the Otago Peninsula, but you have to be lucky to see them.

Otherwise, get yourself to Stewart Island and you'll most likely see plenty of petrols and mollymaawks (another type of albatross) from the boat. Stewart Island is also one of the best places to see kiwis (head for Mason Bay hut).

Watch out for the Keas in backcountry huts, they'll nick your boot laces, food, anything!
In reply to Queequeg:

Stewart Island is currently part of my plan

oo, sea-lions... I've been reading about them chasing guidebook writers... eek!
 Tom Last 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes you can get very close to them. There's a nice little hostel in the area too. We saw a couple of them courting on the beach probably less than 20 yards away (we were hid behind a dune). I'm sure we weren't supposed to be that close, but there were so many it wasn't even intentional, we just stumbled on them.
 DougG 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Stewart Island is currently part of my plan

Have you seen Billy Connolly's DVD of his time in NZ? He was there, amongst other places.
 Tom Last 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Queequeg)
>
> Stewart Island is currently part of my plan
>

Great, you should definitely get over there, it was one of the best places that we visited in our eight months there. It does take a bit of extra effort, but it is worth it.

There's a long trek and a short trek as you probably know. You'll get a feel for the place on the short circuit, but you're unlikely to see much fauna as there's a lot of folk on it (although interestingly this WAS where we saw a kiwi). The big circuit is truly massive and I think takes about 10 days.

A good alternative is to add on a trip to Mason Bay hut, via Freshwater Hut. They're both really good huts (Freshwater is small, but we met a trapper there who made us very welcome) and as said, there are lots of Kiwis about at Mason Bay. That place really does feel like the end of the world too, next stop Antarctica. We saw a weird aurora there too from the amazing dunes. Realy worth the trip

Having said that, Stewart Island is the wettest place I've ever been and we were basically wading through a river for half the time!
In reply to Queequeg:

oh wow - I'm liking the sound of 'next stop Antarctica'!
 Banned User 77 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: We saw very little. It's the one thing you realise is missing in the Bush. Go for a walk in the aussie bush and it's constant noise, in comparison the kiwi bush is quite quiet.

Never saw a kiwi or many birds, heard them. The best thing about Wellinton was the zoo. You go into this 'night time experience' room where there is supposedly Bush full of kiwis, I'm sure all you actually experience is a room with no windows with a tape recorder in the far corner...

Sand flies were interesting, never saw a weta.

Other things to see are the stinking seal colonies.

KA 12 Jan 2009
We saw Royal albatross at Otago AND Wandering albatross whilst whale watching at Kaikora.
 SGD 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: A friend of my has been looking after a baby Kea for awhile and it has caused havock...pulling cables off the wall picking holes in the furniture...but they have got some fab videos of them playing with the Kea and tickling its belly while it lies on its back
 nastyned 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: I found the sperm whales a bit dull to be honest. You see their backs bobbing around for a while then when they dive you see their tail. If you're not just looking at the inside of a sick bag that is. Diving with seals was excellent though.
 Chris F 12 Jan 2009
In reply to KA: There is a very deep sea channel just offshore at Kaikoura, which is why it's so good for sea life viewing. We spotted Dom Joly there (seriously). The Channel brings Kaikoura very reliable surf too. Plus it's a nice town.
In reply to Chris F:

I was reading about that - something about there being a shelf that goes from the shore to something like 90ft deep then it suddenly drops away to 800ft.
Wrongfoot 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

The whales were cool, kayaking around the Abel-Tasman was cooler. Find a few friends practice your T rescues and go for it, if you can still hire the kit. They say that drowning is a very pleasant way to die ;oP

I have a sandfly bite that never really subsided and flares up from time to time kind of a permanent reminder of that particular trip.

I think that there are only a few populations of Weta so you probably won't come face to face with one by accident.

When do you go Feb, March? You'll have such fun it's quite a place.
In reply to Wrongfoot:

end of February - and I'm writing you a long-overdue email!
Wrongfoot 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Why thank-you, it's always a pleasure to hear from you.

Please save me from off-sick moping and posting replies to Coel on evolution threads!
 BelleVedere 12 Jan 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> The best thing about Wellinton was the zoo.

The best bit about wellington for me was the planetarium. And a guide of the southern sky. oh and getting the weird vertical train thing up to it.
 Chris F 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Yup. It put me off going for a swim with the dolphins, as you go out in a boat to the channel, then get in the sea. I think my imagination would have gome into overdrive.

As you are unlikely to see a Kiwi, they have two in the aquarium / wildlife exibit in the middle of Christchurch. Not the best circumstances, but if we hadn't seen them there we wouldn't have seen them at all. Amzing wee things, look like cartoon animals.
In reply to Chris F:

that's part of the mission to go to Stewart Island though! If I don't see a kiwi in the wild I shall consider it a wasted trip

<cough>

KiwiPrincess 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Weta are in dark places..eg caves, Inside bamboo etc, Most are about the size of a finger they leave you alone. They only bite in defense. You can find them any where.Mt Somers has a really rare giant cave variety but I didn't see it while climbing there.

I have seen whales out fishing. It's special.

The birds and plants are pretty cool. Gertrude valley, Fiordland ( NZAC Homer hut) is an awesome place to go on an alpine plant nature walk.

In reply to KiwiPrincess:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> Weta are in dark places..eg caves, Inside bamboo etc, Most are about the size of a finger they leave you alone. They only bite in defense. You can find them any where.Mt Somers has a really rare giant cave variety but I didn't see it while climbing there.

very glad to hear it - not that I'm scared of these things or anything...
>
> I have seen whales out fishing. It's special.

I now have a vision of two enormous whales sitting by a river bank, fishing rods in the water, drinking beer and snoozing in the afternoon sun
>
> The birds and plants are pretty cool. Gertrude valley, Fiordland ( NZAC Homer hut) is an awesome place to go on an alpine plant nature walk.

oo, Homer hut keeps being mentioned...
 KiwiPrincess 12 Jan 2009
In reply to KiwiPrincess: Also there is a observatory in south island I have never been to ,St johns near tekapo? that tourists always Rave about. Very little light pollution apparently.
In reply to KiwiPrincess:

oooooo!

<rubs hands together>

thanks for this!
 ben b 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Just got back from Stewart Island this weekend - the sister-in-law has bought a bache (kiwi term for varying degrees of holiday shed / bothy) at the north end of Halfmoon Bay so we might be spending more time over there....

The Island is lovely, huge swathes of deep old bush and a lot of wildlife. Some of the smaller islands have been cleared of predators (eg Ulva, Codfish Islands - the former can be visited if you ask nicely) and support large colonies of rare birds. Never landed on Ulva but a fiordland crested penguin popped up on the north tip as we went past on saturday afternoon (dye Dennis Healey's eyebrows yellow and you'll get the picture).

A friend used to work on the "Big Green Budgie Patrol" on Codfish and tells good tales of small electrically warmed heating pads to go over the eggs when Mrs Kakapo goes off hunting in the night. Which is fine until you fall asleep on the job and wake to find Mrs Kakapo snuggled up on the blanket as well....

The Short-Tailed Walking bat is, I gather, pretty groovy being able to fly or fold up its wings and walk around on the forest floor quite happily. Not suprisingly they don't thrive when there are rats or stoats around.

Rather embarrasingly and to our eternal shame we had a weta in the house up in Christchurch once - Rach thought I was brave enough to shift it, and I thought she was, so we each assumed the other had done the honourable thing. One less weta from the population and irredeemable damage to our karma.

Have fun! and if you're stuck for somewhere to crash in Dunedin let us know.

B

li'l Kath 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Weta aren't anything to worry about. We used to find them lurking in dark places like the garage. They like it there and don't like to move much so they're unlikely to take you by surprise. Most NZ wildlife is pretty harmless and cuddly. The exception is sandflies! Do make sure you pick up some insect repellent!

Enjoy!
 JB 12 Jan 2009
In reply to li'l Kath:

We had a possum in our hut on Stewart Island. A New Zealander picked it up by its tail and linged it out the front door. Very impressive.
In reply to ben b:

cheers for this!

I could well give you a shout if I head in a Dunedin direction - it's always nice to meet far-flung UKCers!
In reply to JB:

I'm knitting a sock made out of some possum fur at the moment. mm, fluffy.
 JB 12 Jan 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I still have my possum fur nipple warmers around somewhere. Purchased from that shop on the west coast that has a possum museum and a giant sandfly outside it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...