UKC

What is the best thermal inner shirt for extreme cold?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
katri 13 Jan 2009
hey, if anyone has any suggestions for brands etc, they'd be much appreciated.... i'm looking for some type of shirt, or thermal underwear or whatever that will tolerate extreme cold. The stuff i've tried just doesn't cut it. Im imagining some sort of merino/woollen inside with a stretchable fabric on top. But I'm open to all suggestions. The warmer the better, thanks for your help
Removed User 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri: I find putting something over the top of them helps?
 The Bushman 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri:

There is no definitive right or wrong. Everyone has their faviorite. I like a tight fitting Helly Hansen. If really cold then a looser fitting icebreaker on top. An icebreaker against the skin is great too. I prefer thin layers close to the body then a warm light fleece on top, then shell. Good layers work best. Just play with some options to find whats best for you.

Some friends use a Rab vapour rise as a base and swear by it?
 BigMac 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri: The Rab base layers are very good.. with a decent shell on top. I used one in Canada in -28 with the vaporise on top under a soft shell jacket.. system worked well, wicked well and kept me right for what I was doing.
 apulmatt 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri: I find any technical tshirt or long sleeved top good. With the rab ones i found mine smells really quickly after sweating in it, that could just be me though.
 chrisprescott 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri: I would say go for something like Icebreaker really warm and because its Merino it doesn't smell which is a bonus. Also if you are looking at getting a base layer for climbing or where you are going to be doing physical exercise i would look for one with a zip neck to allow you to vent off heat if you get to warm and also thumb loops can be a big bonus as it stops the sleeves riding up and resulting in you losing heat from your wrists
 Jim Fraser 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri:

Helly Hansen LIFA is excellent but Helly Hansen Prowool goes one better and mixes the properties of the best polymer with the all-time world champ for warmth and dryness, wool.
 ben b 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri: thin long sleeve merino eg the bodyfine stuff then another, usually short sleeve on top. Merino boxers or poly/merino mix or merino LJs and some decent socks. Then anything you want over the top. Not itchy, sweaty, smelly or prickly - marvellous.

HTH

B
 Mr Powly 13 Jan 2009
In reply to katri:
I've found powerstretch leggings fantastic for keeping legs warm really cold conditions as they're that much thicker than any other leggings, and would usually wear a merino baselayer with rab vapour-rise on my top half, which is a warm, comfortable and pretty versatile way of going about things in my experience.
In reply to katri:

Patagonia capilene 4 top does the trick for me
Fauvé 14 Jan 2009
In reply to katri:

As someone has suggested, depends on how hot or cold you run.

Me, HH Lifa Vest, short sleeved t shirt, Nth Face exped shirt and outer shell is normally enough for me with a down jacket for when I stop.

This is typical hill winter and climbing gear for me, only other thing I find really keeps me toastie with the above is my Buff neck warmer thing and decent hat and gloves.
 london_huddy 14 Jan 2009
In reply to katri:
The last time I was in the Alps in winter I wore my buffalo as a base layer with softshell and hardshell over the top. Belays and evenings involved a big belay jacket on top of all that...

Depends how cold you're talking about!
 Jim Fraser 14 Jan 2009
In reply to Fauvé:

Good point about the neck warmer. Once you have got most of the body and limbs covered there are a number of thin points that need attended to. These are places like the neck and wrists where the clothing ends and all the blood vessels are very close to the surface and you can lose vast amounts of heat. Buy the right gear for this task and it keeps you warm when you need warmth and is easy to peel off when you need to cool down.

Most of the modern neck stuff is rubbish. The British military used to issue an amazing wool headover back in the 80s and I still use one on the hill in the winter. It is thick, 100% wool, and very long. It is worn under my helmet and protects my neck and most of my head. They still issue a headover but the modern one is thin and is rubbish for hill conditions. Sometimes you can find a polypropylene version that is very good. The Buff is a pale shadow of the headover idea but it is well worth considering.
In reply to katri: This does depend on what you call extreme cold...all the above answers are great for cold weather, some insight as to what you are currently using that "doesnt cut it" would help.

If your talking about temps in the -40c + then some specific clothing that is designed for those environments is the way to go.

Cheers
Mark H.
Fauvé 14 Jan 2009
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Hi Jim,
I have an old headover somewhere!! Always remember it being scratchy first time I used it, then it was like an old friend, like the old KF shirts (yup, old enough to have worn them when I first joined the Army!)

The buff thing is ok, it's the thermal one rather than the thin one. The old Army headover is similar to Dachstein mitts I think, gets all frosty on the outside but doesn't seem to get wet, love it!

Will have to dig it out. It's like the new issue socks, not a patch on the originals. I also have the old Chinese fighting suit, good old piece of kit I used to wear when couldn't afford down kit, that and the original NBC suit smock. Bring back the 80's!
 Jim Fraser 14 Jan 2009
In reply to Fauvé:

Yes, the 80s. Some good kit but also some really appalling kit. Pity that we are still in the same position but its different kit that is appalling!

Still have 2 woollen shirts: Ladybird, Belfast. You cant buy warm and utility like that at any price these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...