UKC

National Indoor Climbing Achievement Scheme (NICAS)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 14 Jan 2009
My local wall have started running the National Indoor Climbing Achievement Scheme (NICAS). It looks an interesting scheme (http://www.nicas.co.uk/ ) with various levels from complete beginner to advanced. What are people's thoughts on this award, and it's appropriateness to a relative beginner?
 marsbar 14 Jan 2009
In reply to owlart: Just had a very quick glance, looks like it might be really useful.
OP owlart 14 Jan 2009
In reply to marsbar: Yes, my thoughts too. I class myself very much still in the 'relative beginner' category, and was considering looking at it. I think I can tick boxes for level 1 & 2, but will need to see if my neck allows the belaying.
 KA_R36 14 Jan 2009
In reply to owlart:
My 8 year old daughter has been doing the NICAS scheme for the last few months and is working on level 3 at present.

This level is well within her achievement but I feel she will struggle to get enough leads she can do to tackle level 4 at present (even with being in the foundry academy).

I think this would be a good way for a beginner at any age to build knowledge and skills. To get enough climbs later on you have to visit a number of NICAS registered climbing walls which also gives good varied experience.
OP owlart 14 Jan 2009
In reply to kat rivett:
> (In reply to owlart)
> My 8 year old daughter has been doing the NICAS scheme for the last few months and is working on level 3 at present.

Well that puts me in my place!

> This level is well within her achievement but I feel she will struggle to get enough leads she can do to tackle level 4 at present (even with being in the foundry academy).

I guess to get enough leads at the grade you're working at you either have to visit other centres or wait for routes to be reset?

> I think this would be a good way for a beginner at any age to build knowledge and skills. To get enough climbs later on you have to visit a number of NICAS registered climbing walls which also gives good varied experience.

Yes, I can see it's good to visit other centres and experience different walls. I think it would help provide motivation and some structure to my climbing.
 Dee 14 Jan 2009
In reply to owlart: I agree with Kat - I think it is a very useful and positive scheme. I've a vested interest - I've just begun delivering NICAS to young people and they have commented on how it is helping them to develop in the sport. It ties in very closely with GCSE PE Climbing modules and enables pupils, for example, to gain a national award as well as grades for GCSE.
 ck85 15 Jan 2009
In reply to owlart: I believe the NICAS scheme is mainly for kids to work towards either when visiting walls as school groups or in a kids club run by a wall. I don't think it would be appropriate for you, but there's nothing stopping you from using the syllabus as a guide to what skills you could develop next.
 Bruce Hooker 15 Jan 2009
In reply to owlart:

Is more bureaucracy really required? I realise this is only for climbing in gyms but even so... aren't there enough bits of paper in peoples lives without adding more?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...