UKC

Cenotaph corner, Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Martin P 01 Aug 2001
This weekend im thinking of heading off to North Wales and taking a crack at Cenotapgh corner. Could any body let me know how polished its become over the years and what the route is like overal these days.

Many thanks
OP Tha Fat One 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Martin P: I dont think it's had a second ascent yet so it shouldn't be very polished.

Not much of a line anyway!
A Yank + Gorple 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Martin P:
Do Cemetary Gates or Left Wall instead, CC is bloody awful imho.
Marc C 01 Aug 2001
In reply to A Yank (keep Gorple out of this - he can wag and yip for himself):

If imho means 'in my humble opinion' why've you suddenly become so modest, Hueco Head Honcho Hotshot ?

I thought imho referred to your usual warning to belayers when you second on V.Diffs (sorry, 5.3s) - 'I may hurtle off'.
Gruff 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Marc C:

"I thought imho referred to your usual warning to belayers when you second on V.Diffs (sorry, 5.3s) - 'I may hurtle off'."

Or the sound you make just as you peel Imho! An attempt at saying "I'm Off" the "H" bit being the wind escaping your lungs as the rope grabs you.

G
A Yank + Gorple 01 Aug 2001
In reply to Marc C:
Listen pal, now you`re outta that BB pad, you`ll be sleeping with the fishes soon,capiche?

And GORPLE is selling the GLADIATOR and Kirk photos on the net.
Marc C 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Gruff: No wonder I keep mispronouncing IMHO when I fall. I thought I was dyslexic. Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure I tie my bowline properly next time I fall so I get that bite of the rope that produces the 'h'. I've just transcribed a tape recording of my last fall (off The Overhanging Arete finish to The Grooves): 'Watch me here, Ray....IMO(!)...(slithering noise like knot coming loose under pressure).......OHFXXNGHELLIMGONNADIE!!!.........AAARGH.. (Squelching sound)....OOps Sorry Gorple! Good grief, Bloody dog saved my life..." (Time of entire transcript = 4.21 seconds)
 sutty 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Marc C: you obviously didn't watch McHardy solo the finish or you would know about the secret hold he used.
Marc C 02 Aug 2001
In reply to A Yank + Gorple: Who in their right mind would vote ME outta the BB house ? More worrying, why haven't they taken the CCTV off me then....I mean, how else did you know I was about to sleep with the fishes ?

Anyway, from "An englishman's home is his castle" it's a small step to "The world's my oyster",and one teensy-weensy pace to "A man's bed is his sexual aquarium". So, that's why I got voted out ? All those women - Fliss, Lucy, et al and I plumped for a naughty little mackerel. So what. I'm polymorphously perverse and proud of it.

BTW have we helped that chapxie who wants to do CC one iota yet ?
Gruff 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Marc C:

Well I never,
Bet he was a "bloody" dog by the time you finished with him,
or did he finish with you, I can never quite remember.

G
Gorple 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Gruff:
I dumped him and don`t let him tell you otherwise!

in reply to MarcC.
Nah,but it doesn`t matter,gonna rain this weekend!

Marc C 02 Aug 2001
In reply to sutty: Call me old-fashioned, but isn't that cheating, and more worthy of johnny foreigner ? No use to me anyhow - I thought I was on Flying Buttress (must have held that Llanberis Pass crag guide the wrong way up).
Marc C 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Gruff: I'm sure you get Hello! magazine. I'm in this week's talking about 'life after Gorple', and as I said to Kelly Sommers (Hello!'s features editor) it was mutual and we're still good friends (in spite of what Gorple's supposedly going to reveal in this week's News of the World). Anyway, enough about Gorple, I hope you like the pictures of my new luxury penthouse with weights room, climbing wall, cinema, swimming pool, trophy room, etc. Try to get hold of the later edition (the early editions screwed up and forgot to airbrush out those pictures with a kennel with several swords inserted through it, and a dog's collar with razor-blades embedded in it).
Gruff 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Marc C:

"I'm sure you get Hello! magazine"

What's that supposed to mean exactly?
Wasn't something you read in my profile was it?
If yes, please tell me!

G
stonemaster 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Martin P: Heard that the pudding stone has fallen off or disintegrated. Reliability of this info is questionable as it is about seventh hand. Last time I tried it was a waterfall. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Jimmy D 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Martin P:

Climbed CC a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to find it is hardly polished at all, at least not in a way that makes the route unpleasant or substantially more difficult. It is superb. Just make sure you've got plenty of staying power and enough energy at the top to tackle the considerable 'sting in the tale'.
Steve 02 Aug 2001
In reply to Jimmy D:

Cenotaph Corner is HVS until the last 20ft which if at all damp is absolutely desperate. I've done a few E2's this year which I though were technically easier. Gears good though and the pudding stone was definitely there three weeks ago. Cemetary Gates is a lot easier.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...