UKC

indoor climbing newcastle/gateshead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 30 Jan 2009
I have to be in Newcastle overnight next week and will hopefully have time for a hour or two on an indoor wall in the evening (billy no-mates so bouldering) - from what I can see the choice is betwen the new(?) bouldering place at Byker and Whickham Thorns in Gateshead. Any recommendations? (not booked accommodation yet but thinking of Eslington Villa in Gateshead - rec's on that front gratefully received too). Ta.
 Rose2 30 Jan 2009
In reply to ripper:

Byker.

The end.
In reply to ripper:

Id say definately Byker if you are restricted on time, and want a good workout.
OP ripper 30 Jan 2009
In reply to ripper: thanks guys that seems fairly unequivocal!
although, I also see there's a wall at Newburn Leisure Centre with self-belay ropes (and next door to the Keelman, with Big Lamp ales and B&B). Anyone been and know what that's like?
Davey_C_73 31 Jan 2009
In reply to ripper: I go to Newburn quite often, it's really good. They've got four auto belays up at the moment, sometimes they have five on. The routes on the auto belays are pretty easy, I think they go up to about 5a/5b.

Byker is good too, there's a really good range of problems - most of them too hard for me.

You've also got the berghaus wall in newcastle centre (eldon leisure centre) which is good for bouldering - it's a bit rough on the hands though. Although it's only £3 which is a bonus.

Whickham thorns is ok and it's free, I was there last Sunday, it doesn't dry out very well on the inside. So I would only go there if it's been dry for a day or two.

I would recommend going to Newburn or Byker, depending on whether you prefer doing routes or problems.
 RobSay 31 Jan 2009
In reply to ripper:
Byker - £7.50 (non-member), easily the best way to while away a couple of hours on your own ..

Whickam - indoors (Have to join) is quite frankly rubbish and there will be no one else there, outdoors is great and free but it'll be dark and miserable

Newburn - have to join (5?) and £5 fee .. and if they have a class or group in you can't use the auto-belays. Some evenings groups mean you can't get in at all .. I always ring up and check now.
 benj_d 31 Jan 2009
In reply to ripper:
Byker is the place to go...
OP ripper 02 Feb 2009
In reply to Davey_C_73:
> (In reply to ripper) I go to Newburn quite often, it's really good. The routes on the auto belays are pretty easy, I think they go up to about 5a/5b.
>
Is that 5a/5b sport or english trad grades?
Davey_C_73 03 Feb 2009
In reply to ripper: I'm fairly new to climbing and not really up on grades, they have a list stuck on a notice board which states they are English grades - hope that helps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...