UKC

HELP WANTED: Pete Livesey - Photos and Tales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 03 Feb 2009
Hi Everyone,

We have a biography/article about Pete Livesey, written by Dennis Gray. I'd like to get it up on the site and I wondered if anyone has any photographs of Pete?

Or any tales about meeting him/climbing with him? If so, and of course if you're interested in helping out with this article, then I'd love to hear from you.

Also, I'd like to do some route lists

Top 5 Pete Livesey routes in:

• Yorkshire

• Lake District

• Peak District

• North Wales

So if anyone has any suggestions, then that would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Jack
 John2 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: The only time I met Pete was when he served me tea and cakes dressed in a frilly apron at his cafe at Malham.
 Ian McNeill 03 Feb 2009
In reply to John2: snap
Anonymous 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Can't you ask Mick if he's still got the tape of him interviewing PL about chipping? He played it at a Buxton thing long ago.

I remember it being greatly entertaining (especially the bit where he describes Gresham as "lovely")
 Al Evans 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I have a picture for you, taken on my camera by Geoff Birtles, not sure
A/ Of the rights
B/ How to get it to you, I'm going to try to get the mods put it into the Historical gallery?
OP Jack Geldard 03 Feb 2009
In reply to all:

Thanks guys - much appreciated. Mick doesn't have the tape any more. Al - yes please stick the photo in the historical section, that would be great.

Best,

Jack
 jon 03 Feb 2009
I thought Rob Seymour was gathering stuff for a Livesey book...
In reply to Anonymous:
> Can't you ask Mick if he's still got the tape of him interviewing PL about chipping? He played it at a Buxton thing long ago.

I remember seeing a BBC program about cheating - it had the story of the sailor Donald Crowhurst - and it had Pete Livesey talking about chipping routes while Ron Fawcett soloed behind him on the slab at Froggatt.
 Michael Ryan 03 Feb 2009
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
> I thought Rob Seymour was gathering stuff for a Livesey book...

Yip. We are in touch with Rob.
 lummox 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: How is Dennis doing ? I understood his health hasn`t been so good in recent years. Haven`t seen him out and about apart from at the finish of the Chevin Chase a few years ago.
 Michael Ryan 03 Feb 2009
In reply to lummox:

Doing great I think! Travelling and I last saw him at Kendal MF

Scroll down for a photo of the old fox.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1523
 lummox 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Excellent- glad to hear it..
 jon 03 Feb 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
>
> Yip. We are in touch with Rob.

I supplied him with a story, but don't want to upset him. Got some photos too...
 Michael Ryan 03 Feb 2009
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> I supplied him with a story, but don't want to upset him. Got some photos too...

Contact Rob, I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Phizzers 13 Feb 2009
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who witnessed P.L. leading Lost Horizons - Jill Lawrence claims she can't remember what went on (convenient!), and the comment from Bill Birkett's book re:- Pete Botterill asking about him using aid seems to have been misquoted over the years - Pete claims he wasn't there that day.
 Gary Gibson 14 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Jack, I had a number of happy memories of Pete when he worked for Climber and Rambler as a news reporter, one particularly amusing one about Scimiter Ridge. I think I still have the letters buried away somewhere.
JonRoger 14 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Met Pete near Silverdale station when he asked the way to Trowbarrow Qy. We took him and partner over and then watched him cruise Al's route, Jean Jeannie. It was the first time I had seen the famous jutting bum style of climbing.

Ran into him years later when he had a bunch of students at Twistleton Scar - a very bored guy with greying hair flying in the wind. He was in grunting mode and mooched for an hour or two before it all got too much. He then indulged in a solo session, in trainers up and down at VS/HVS. Still a great climber.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2009

I watched him zip up Cabbage Crack as Stoney, his second (his brother) came unstuck just below the roof and had to be lowered to the ground, leaving a solitary runner high on the route. Pete soloed down to get it, the climbing isn't hard, but the rock up there is steep and snappy and a fall on to the railings 80' below would have been terminal and messy!

Very confident!

Chris
climbright 14 Feb 2009

One of the many very interesting articles written by Pete when he wrote for Climber & Hillwalker can be found at:

http://www.mountain-clients.org.uk/2008/06/pete-livesey-retrobolts

He is still with us today if only in spirit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...