UKC

Making wooden climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 03 Mar 2009
What wood would you suggest for climbing holds? I've got a fair selection of bits of wood to play with, far too much time on my hands and a bit of space for a home wall. I've got a good range from Balsa to Iroko although I suspect neither of them are suitable
Also grain orientation, is it best to be pulling with the grain or across it?

cheers

mike
 Mowglee 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent: Oak and cherry are meant to be quite good, anything hard with a fine grain. Ash, mahogany, teak also nice if you have it. For grain orientation, pulling across it will reduce splinters, but shouldn't be a problem for good wood if it's well finished. Think about how it's loaded on the bolt, it'll split across the grain much easier.
 escalator 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Use very thick ply wood.
 Mowglee 03 Mar 2009
In reply to escalator: urgh! no! It'll splinter horribly and there's all kinds of nasty glue and resin holding it together, and to get stuff without voids you have to pay quite a bit. Get some decent hardwood, glue thin planks together if necessary with the grain perpendicular. Most timber merchants will have offcuts which are perfect.
 Clarence 03 Mar 2009

You can laminate ply with lots of resin W or similar glue. Cut your layers out, glue up and cramp together. I have several holds on my wall made from offcuts of ply and they have not broken yet depite my hideous bulk swinging from them. I have also made holds from pine and MDF which have been fine. A shedload of cheap emulsion on top and job's a good un.
OP Reach>Talent 03 Mar 2009
In reply to gareth uglow:
I'm fairly lucky with stocks of wood, I've got a reasonable stock of surplus mahogany which will make a nice set of small crimps and I'm looking into persuading the parents that a nice oak fingerboard would be a good addition to the house.
 jkarran 03 Mar 2009

I made mine mostly from some sort of pine, it's dull but easy to work and plenty strong enough for handholds.

jk
 Clarence 03 Mar 2009

Very small crimps seem to be easily broken. I found that small crimps and finger pockets were best made on a much larger base, say 6" diameter and at least 1.5" thick. I cut the base out and drilled the holes for the bolt and washer, then I used a round surform to make a couple of horizontal grooves above the bolt hole. After sanding it all down it proved to be a very useful hold, allowing feet to be placed on the more robust outside edges and preventing the more delicate crimp/groove from being kicked off. Quite good for side-pulls when the groove is placed vertically as well.

I need to change my set-up so if you come up with any stunning designs please share.
 Dan Lane 03 Mar 2009

I just randomly shaped bits of Softwood offcuts and drilled and screwed it on. Simple as that really. Oh, and i have the grain so you are pulling across it.

Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...