UKC

camp radion ice screw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daithi O Murchu 12 Mar 2009
saw folk with these the other week

seemed to save a bit of faffing before cliping in

http://www.camp-usa.com/product-highlights/forum/the-remarkable-radion.asp

whose used them, what do you think of em

they dont seem to be any more expensive.

ericinbristol 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

I haven't used them and won't be as they are inferior in design to the Grivel 360 because the Radion winding handle does not fold up out of the way when placingb a screw in a constricted space.
In reply to Eric Herring:

yes cheers for the pointer

i see what your getting at,

but by that argument the BD turbo express and other screws with fixed levers are inferior to 360 which aint true.

good choice of position for the screw will avoid the problems you mention in most cases anyhow
 jamestheyip 12 Mar 2009

Never tried them but have seen them in a shop in Chamonix 2 years ago.

> seemed to save a bit of faffing before cliping in

I can't see how it can be any easier to clip in then other screws? Although it's quite useful to keep the screw on the rope while you take it out. Screws without 'express handles' are particularly prone to be dropped.

I suppose you can just use a karb rather than a quickdraw as the runner. That could save a lot of weight and time.
In reply to jamestheyip:

by having the crab allready in the runner on your rack then you just screw it in and clip in

no need to unclip runner from harness- so a bit less to get on the pro - or so the theory behind the product goes.
 edg 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu: I tend to extend my screws, imagine quite a few do, so wouldn't a fixed length sling be somewhat pointless?
 petestack 12 Mar 2009
In reply to jamestheyip:
> Although it's quite useful to keep the screw on the rope while you take it out.

That looks like a big plus point to me, and possibly a neater way to do it than the Petzl Laser Sonics. But not enough to make me want to replace an almost new stash of Grivel Helixes.

Happy to help

> but by that argument the BD turbo express and other screws with fixed levers are inferior to 360 which aint true.
>

Why not? I have BD Turbo Express and Grivel 360s and the BDs I find to be inferior. The BD has a tiny little turning handle and a small amount of leverage as the turning handle is just the hanger. Then you get it most of the way in and any slight bulging of ice means you have to chip that away or bash the hanger with the heel of your hand to clear it. Whereas a 360 has a big handle with big leverage, whizzes in and if there is a bit of a bulging edge, just fold the handle up a bit and in it goes to the hilt. Sorted.

> good choice of position for the screw will avoid the problems you mention in most cases anyhow

Yes, if that choice is available. My experience is that it too often isn't. And anyway I don't want to have to put the screw in a different, often less convenient, place to compensage for the limitations of the screw design.

But each to their own of course, and some people may just not find this a bother.

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow to Rjukan for eight potential climbing days on the ice: yippee!
Daithi O Murchu 13 Mar 2009

enjoy, all your screws, have fun
ice.solo 13 Mar 2009

totally - particularly the bit about taking lesser placements because of hardware limitations.

i too have been of the BD cult, and after years of loving the pros have lately started to feel more the cons, so ive started buying 360s instead.

wouldnt say ive abandoned expresses - if its just frozen falls then they are cool and save a few grams, but for anything else i carry at least half a rack of 360s now (because thats all ive got - they aint cheap).

for alpine ice id say 360s are the go in total - thats were there seems to be most placement issues.
also for v-threads.
 Ronbo 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu: I reckon the helixes are better than 360s, having a handle on both sides of the thread for me makes them easier to start and more importantly more difficult to drop! (I have both)

Ron

360's are a pain in the arse to rack! Imagine these might be too.

Stuart
 Simon4 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Eric Herring: I used to think that BD Turbo Express was the pinacle of design, but the 360s seem to have the edge from the handle point of view. But I seldom find the handle the critical issue, rather the key problem is to get the screw to start to bite, especially one-handed, on very steep ice. So how easy are the 360s to start in that situation?

It has been previously observed by several people that the 360s are harder to rack than BDs, especially on ice-screw holders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...