UKC

OS Outdoor Show

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 apulmatt 22 Mar 2009
Im really looking forward to this. Who else is going? What is everyone looking forward to the most?
Comms27 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

Me and Dodge on Friday, doing the PR bit for MR and Satmap. Looking forward to bagging some freebies and fondling much kit!
 krikoman 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: Last few years has been Sh!te only DMM for climbing stuff.Plenty of camping, GPS and walking but not much climbing gear. First year I went 2003 got loads of climbing bargins from lots of companiesnever been the same since.
Will Phillips 23 Mar 2009
I'm going to take a mooch round it with my dad on Friday as I got a free ticket from Paramo.
 dannymoo99 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: Looking forward to it. I went years ago cant really remeber.....do they have lots of kit for sale?
 Mike Peacock 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: I'm going on Sunday. Never been before so not sure what to expect.
 Wingnut 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:
I'm going - exhibiting on the Alpkit stand as part of CoLab09.

If you see me, people, come and give me a hug - I'll probably need it!
 krikoman 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Dominion: Thanks for that, looks like DMM are the only climbing gear again, they had cheap cams last year and some cheapish ropes I think. the rest of the stuff was all about the same price as 'tinternet.

By the time you take parking £8 into account if your looking for bargins you can do better elsewhere, for a day out it's not bad if you've not been before.
 JPG 23 Mar 2009
In reply to krikoman:
> By the time you take parking £8 into account if your looking for bargins you can do better elsewhere, for a day out it's not bad if you've not been before.

So, £13 ticket plus £8 parking and it looks like they're charging £5 for some of the talks as well. That's a bit expensive for an event that's being sponsored and has paying exhibitors.

Still, I think I'll go on the Saturday just to see what it's like...
 2pints 23 Mar 2009
In reply to JPG:
> (In reply to krikoman)
> [...]
>
>
> Still, I think I'll go on the Saturday just to see what it's like...

Crap was my opinion when I went a few years ago.

Just seemed to be loads of shops trying to sell stuff cheap and the odd climbing lecture.

I wouldn't go again (Even tho the ticket was free, it wasn't worth it!)
 CarolineMc 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: I'll be running the aerial trek (high ropes activity up in the roof) along with some other bods off here - Little Brew, MikeUK, SkaredyKat and others. If you want to play, best come and register very early as there are very limited slots through the day.

The lectures are good and I think they're all free, so go and queue for tickets early for those too.

There are rarely any big bargains. Some discounts on DMM gear and on kayaking stuff but you're better off wandering around, chatting to people, planning trips, listening to talks and trying new products out on the stands and voting for Wingnut and Captain Paranoia on the CoLab stand of course! Jennings usually serve a good pint too.

C-:
 Little Brew 23 Mar 2009
In reply to CarolineMc: Yep, Will be there in Camoflage uniform as usual! well i blend in somewhere surely?!?

Managed a few bargains a few years ago, but nothing good recently! but i am on the look out for a new tent so will be checking out the camping area!

Oh and my mom is there too!
Skaredykat 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Little Brew:
> (In reply to CarolineMc) Yep, Will be there in Camoflage uniform as usual! well i blend in somewhere surely?!?
>
> Me too, this time. I finally gave in to the relentless McWhinge!
 Caralynh 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

Sadly not this year. On a course all day Friday, and working Sat/Sun afternoon/evening. Haven't been organised enough to sort my press pass this year, and don't want to pay to pop down just for a couple of hours
 Little Brew 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Skaredykat: You will love it really!
Skaredykat 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Little Brew:

I will love spending the weekend with you guys - still fail to see why dressing up as the back end of a pantomime cow will enhance the experience!
 Little Brew 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Skaredykat: could be worse, it could just be the udders?!?
Skaredykat 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Little Brew:

I'm thinking Nursie in Blackadder.....oh dear.
 Wingnut 23 Mar 2009
In reply to Little Brew:
Pull the udder one!
 will smith11 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: Its awsome! I have been every year for the last few years and its always a really good day. Loads of stuff to do and cheap deals. The Skymasters should be really good aswell.
 SebCa 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: Think it will be a day when all the 'arm chair climbers' head to Brum, i will be heading out! Then there will be no queueing on the classic routes!
sankster 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:
I'm really excited, get paid on wednesday, will be broke when I get back on saturday, but can't wait! x
 leeangell 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

Im going with the missus and quite looking forward to it, we've got tickets to see the Simon Yates lecture (£5) anybody know if he's any good?
 BenGreenhalgh 23 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: WOOOO can't wait!
 ChrisBrooke 26 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: And don't forget to check out the film making talent in the TRAD Films theatre. New film makers, most of them UKC members/posters.
Rushmore 26 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

i'm going...

bit disapointed to hear you have to pay for the tgalks though... as the guide and ads say everything is free...
 pottsworth 26 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:
I'm going on friday, unfortunately I can only stay for about half of it as I've got to get back to uni to head up to the national student rodeo (massive freestyle kayaking event), possibly with a couple of new bits of kit . . .
 DreadyCraig 26 Mar 2009
In reply to leeangell:
Simon Yates is an excellent lecturer! very enjoyable
 Big Steve 29 Mar 2009
In reply to DreadyCraig: So what did everybody think of it this year?

I thought it was total shite this year. It has definately been credit crunched. I saw 2 good talks Saturday - Simon Yates and Tim Emmett and had a short coaching session with Ben Bransby which makes the entrance fee not so bad. Got some more cams from DMM, and a free Kalymnos guidebook from the Greece stand. I only saw the female heats of the climbing comp Saturday morning, some of them were awesome

Wont be going next year, as hopefully I will be living in another country by the end of the year
 Blue Straggler 29 Mar 2009
In reply to Big Steve:
> (In reply to DreadyCraig) a free Kalymnos guidebook from the Greece stand.

Nice blag! You mean the climbing guidebook? I saw a lone one languishing there today, I should have asked for it!

I've never been before so wasn't sure what to expect, and I did go in with low expectations so as not to be disappointed. I actually really enjoyed Skymasters, I was worried that it might be a bit like Gladiators, but I think it worked well as a nice novelty. I've never seen a climbing competition before either, so I've not seen such a concentration of REALLY good climbing.

I wasn't expecting bargains (I know some people on some other threads have seemed to think that it's meant to act as a factory clearance warehouse, which clearly it's not), so I was happy that my £100 budget got me 42m of climbing rope, a nice book (Venables' "First Ascents"), two 3CU cams, and two bandoliers.

But apart from Skymasters, it was a little "dry".
 Little Brew 29 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: Well i had a nice nap at the top of a column on the Trespass air trail on saturday, spent about 14 hours on the course, maybe more over the 3 days. Got one of the DMM free Krabs on Friday and a few free t-shirts. also got me a new harness!!! very nice bargain. show was a bit 'pants' really!!! sorry bit of an 'in joke!' saw a few interesting bits from my lofty seat, wouldn't have been impressed if i had had to pay!!! and £8 parking! what is that all about?!? thank god for staff car passes!
 James_86 29 Mar 2009
Disappointed with this years show!! Was looking to pick up some cheap climbing gear - boots, harness & helmet, however not much choice available (Maybe a Gap in the market for someone next yr). Did enjoy sky-masters though! Not worth the drive from South Wales. And how can NEC justify £8 parking.............
Will Phillips 29 Mar 2009
If it had not been for a free tickets I would have been very disappointed after forking out 17 quid a piece for them. The few things the show did do for me was provide a new burning urge to buy a kayak and get paddling again and gave me some inspiration for a few places to visit and travel further a far to which I did not know about or seriously consider a visit to previously. The only purchases I made were a Ti Cutlery set from Alpkit and a Paramo Torres Gillet.
 Mike Peacock 29 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt: This year was my first time and I loved it.

Left Bangor at 5:15am to get there early, so got on the brush boarding before it got busy. The dirt biking was good fun, and I only came off once!

Saw Leo Holding and Laurent Niol who were both interesting.

Other highlights were the free Bowmore; I like the fact that there were 4 sampling tables so you could just go from one to the next, and I convinced them to open a bottle of the 15yr old for me to try. I also got a free guide to independent hostels which will definitely be of use.

All in all a good day, and not bad value for money. I suspect I'll go again next year.

Rushmore 29 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

well, i have to say, I quite enjoyed it.. the Symasters was quite intresting to watch, and got 6 4cu's for £120!!! I got a free ticket, but thought that £17 or whatever it was was very steep.. some of the landboarding was pretty cool with the MBS guys. As a Powerkiter, was quite suprised to see some kite companies there ( lol competitor though as i'm an instructor for another shop so didn't buy anything )

I was a bit dissapointed at the lack of climbing companies there though, DMM must have cleaned up..

Also wanted one of those cheap fingerboards going, but by the time I got there they had sold out >;O(

I waited for an hour before the show to try and get a free krab, but they had all gone?? either we had the Flash visiting or some worker had them I dunno!

but fun all round, shame I had a stinking cold though.
 JPG 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Will Phillips:
> If it had not been for a free tickets I would have been very disappointed after forking out 17 quid a piece for them.

Plus the £8 parking and they were trying to extract another £1.50 for the show guide. When you consider that the exhibitors were paying for their stands, it's a bit of a rip-off really.

There was a plus in that there was a wider range of stuff available than you normally find (e.g. Sealskinz socks in the full range of sizes).
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2009
It is an expensive day out if you had to pay for a ticket and parking. Not sure that you get enough for your money in that case.

I enjoyed watching the Skymasters when I had a chance, but missed all the finals - couldn't see much from 14m up at in the middle of the hall. Didn't get to any lectures this year but heard good reports.

It's a good show for getting ideas of places to go or seeing new gadgets. I got a new hostel guide, blagged a tshirt and a krab and quite enjoyed a tipple every day from Bowmore! Their 18 year old is especially nice!

Properly shattered today and thankful for a day that doesn't involve a commute along a precarious wire! C-:
 Little Brew 30 Mar 2009
In reply to CarolineMc: You loved it really, Scissor lift, followed by Rickerty Bridge, Wire slide across, Wire Bridge and a Vine swing.... Hum... glad i stayed at T1 & T2!

Photos up on FB!
 Wingnut 30 Mar 2009
In reply to CarolineMc:
Likewise knackered . . . and can confirm that trying to convince Mr & Mrs Caravan in his'n'hers Regatta fleeces about the advantages of a new type of climbing wall doesn't work very well.
 DreadyCraig 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Rushmore:
> I waited for an hour before the show to try and get a free krab, but they had all gone?? either we had the Flash visiting or some worker had them I dunno!
>
I think the people running the Trespass air trail had them all by the repies on this thread
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2009
In reply to DreadyCraig: Not quite, just a couple on day 1! And only after the show had opened so fair game! C-:
 leeangell 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Big Steve:

Id love to know how many cams etc DMM lost through theivery, it was like a bloody car boot sale, with plenty of chance to just wander off of the stall with them in your hand, that said im sure the entrance price would put off alot of scallys. (plus of course the majority of climbers are honest and honorable!)
 JPG 30 Mar 2009
In reply to leeangell:
> (plus of course the majority of climbers are honest and honorable!)

Except when it comes to "crag swag"...
 leeangell 30 Mar 2009
In reply to JPG:
> (In reply to leeangell)
> [...]
>
> Except when it comes to "crag swag"...

True and the stall was quite close to the base of the skymasters wall, you could say "it was just lying there and nobody seemed to be claiming it!"
 Big Steve 30 Mar 2009
In reply to leeangell: that crossed my mind actually, there was so many people walking round with handfuls of gear
 Little Brew 30 Mar 2009
In reply to DreadyCraig: We only got 3 out of the possible 15 on offer, and only because i turned to the bloke on the DMM stand and said it was on UKC and can we claim them?!? he said yes and handed them to us, the other 2 were claimed by 2 other's in white and red t-shirts - Uni ones i think?!?
 Little Brew 30 Mar 2009
In reply to Wingnut: You convinced me and i voted for you!!!! hard work convincing the non-climbing i bet! best of luck getting it in to walls! i think it would be brill!!!
In reply to CarolineMc: The final was brilliant - there's a couple photos on our blog:
http://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/
 Blue Straggler 30 Mar 2009
In reply to The Climbing Academy:

some more pics
http://blue-straggler.net/Skymasters_2009/
Rushmore 30 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

one thing I did find incredibly amusing was the amount of couple who went to the show, not dressed for a walk around an exhibition but more like a walk acrss the bloody Alps!

with full on mahooosive backpacks, huge winter boots, hats straight out of crocodile dundee and a tanned hide wife. awesome! lmao
 Ian Archer 30 Mar 2009
In reply to apulmatt:

Had an excellent day yesterday, free tickest n parking, I won a Freeloader portable solar charger at the Trail stand and my mate won a free OS map of his choice. With plenty of whiskey tasters too.
His words as we walked away from entering this was
' You've got to be a right anorak to know the length of coastline in England and Wales'. 10 minutes later he had a phone call telling him he was right!
 Julie Z 30 Mar 2009
In reply to The Climbing Academy: Are there full results up anywhere?
In reply to Rushmore: I must admit, I did have a massive backpack, but that was because I bought it there . The Alpkit Gourdon I took ended up in the big pack.

Tim Emmett was entertaining. I was surprised at the market stall system on the DMM stand. It feels a bit strange picking up a couple of cams, then wandering about the stand trying to make it obvious I would pay for them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...