UKC

Broad Stand on Scafell with my dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JMarkW 06 Apr 2009
I'm off up to the lakes in a few weeks to do some training for the Bob Graham (I'm only supporting). Leg 3 goes up Broad Stand and was planning to take the dog with me.

I haven't been up there for years and can't remember much about it. Will I be able to shove the dog to my mate above me etc. From what I can remember it was just one 6 foot step or something. The dog isn't totally useless in the mountains (unlike it's owner some would say) but I don't want to scare it stupid either.

cheers
mark
 toad 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: If it was me, I wouldn't go near it with a dog. It's more than 6', and there's no way a dog could climb it without help. At best you'd scare it stupid. At worst...
 Banned User 77 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: I wouldn't take mine, I'd nip around.
OP JMarkW 06 Apr 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks guys round it is then.

cheers
mark
 sheep 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: Thanks guys round it is then.

'nipping round' maybe isn't as easy as it once was.

Lord's Rake is 'passable with care', and there has been rockfall in the gully below Fox's Tarn. Maybe someone on here might be able to supply a more up-to-date appraisal of the feasibility of these two alternatives. Personally, i wouldn't take my dog up any of 'em.
 Banned User 77 06 Apr 2009
In reply to sheep: Is the path just to the south impassable too?

Following the southerly branch of the outlet from the tarn?

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=scafell&countryCode=GB#map=54.44761,-3...

Not been there for a few years now, maybe 3 years, but last time I walked around loaded with camping gear and found no issue at all. Heard there had been a rockfall in the gully though too.
Removed User 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: I came down the Foxes Tarn path in December and it was ok then. There had clearly been some boulders moving down the gully but they where easily avoided.
 Trailhound 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman:
When I did my BG I went down and round by Foxes Tarn, by the time you have farted around at Broad Stand there is very little difference in it. I have covered the route by all the usual means and the Tarn route is preferable. A 19 hour BG should indicate that.
OP JMarkW 06 Apr 2009
In reply to Trailhound:

Cheers Trailhound - 19 hours - I ain't arguing with that.

cheers
mark

Check on the FRA forums, lots of threads on the Bob Graham on there. Not sure what IainR is on about regarding a path to the *south* of Foxes Tarn but there is a path used by climbers that cuts out the gully - it traverses about 30m below the foot of East Buttress. Not easy to find from either end, there's also a "path" from the Mickledore end that keeps close in to the cliff but this is a dead end beyond the Ichabod area.

Being kind here's the link - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325&page=7 that shows the line.

ALC
 sheep 07 Apr 2009

aye, that's the runners route for sure. I was looking at it from the dug's point of view

A few years ago i helped a friend's Bob Graham by toproping some of his team up Broad Stand. They reckoned it saved about 20 mins over the Fox Tarn diversion. They came through at 8.15 am.
J1234 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: There was a fixed rope down it on Sunday, up to you if you would use/trust it.
Mate of mine reckons it is harder than it was years ago, he seems to think a piece of rock has gone?
We used the East Buttress climbers traverse, me daughter and Dog (cat size fell terrier) and that was as slippery as a slippery thing on a slippery day, and judging by a piece of torn turf at the Foxes end someone had nearly come a cropper, but it is a slog back up, even from there. Personally I would take my chances in the Rake =
Cheers Beds

TerryB 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: Hiya Mark,
I made a pretty comprehensive posting some time ago on Broad Stand including photos. I reckon that it should answer your question.

Any questions, get back to me.
Cheers

TelB
 Jem Cowen 07 Apr 2009
I provided rope support at BS for a successful attempt (in atrocious conditions) last June. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to take a dog up there. It's not a risk worth taking.

As for using BS (with rope support) on an attempt, I'm not at all convinced the degree of added complication is worthwhile. Whilst we had an efficient setup in waiting for our runners, the situation was thrown into disarray by another 'support' party climbing through and entangling the ropes, whilst some other runners climbed up the 1st step and, after struggling in the wet and upon our suggestion, thankfully tied into our ropes albeit in a rather frightening manner. Upon arrival of our runners, the ensuing debacle convinced our leading support runner to quickly divert via Foxes Tarn, whilst the main man and his other support (neither being mountaineer types) opted to climb through, but were left severely traumatised by the affair, only to get disorientated and separated in the mist on the subsequent scramble. Thankfully, he got round in under 22hrs for the clockwise round which wasn't bad considering the afternoon weather (winds of 40-50mph and torrential horizontal rain).

Of course, climber-types might consider BS unassisted on an attempt, but levels of fatigue and prevailing conditions would have to govern route choice on the day. If it were me, I'd opt for no rope-support and take an alternative route if at all uncertain about my tiredness and/or conditions. That said, a dodgy knee will probably prevent me from considering an attempt in teh 1st place (phew!)
Jim Crow 07 Apr 2009

Keith Ashton's old dog on sight soloed one of Malc Baxter's routes on Kinder which was either VD or S (my memory fails me) and about a 30 foot slab - Blue was quite handy though. And then there's a story about a drunken Harry Venables .............and the dog...........! A thorough check of the Kinder guide will reveal all!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...