UKC

Who's got a pair of rock shoes bigger than their shoe size?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
peter pan 03 May 2009
I've heard that you should wear them upto two sizes smaller than normal shoe wear? My current pair are half a size larger & fit likes comfy slippers.

PP.
 rothers 03 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:
if they 'fit' like comfy slippers then they don't fit.
 petestack 03 May 2009
In reply to rothers:
> if they 'fit' like comfy slippers then they don't fit.

Depends what you understand by 'fit' and 'slippers', which could be anything from pretty loosely to 'they fit like gloves' (but how many folk actually have gloves that 'fit like gloves'?)...

My rock shoes are about the same (nominal) size as my normal shoe size, they're comfy and they fit. They're not loose, but they don't crush my feet into the impossible contortions some folk seem to feel beneficial to their climbing. Perhaps yours do and you might actually be better if they didn't (who knows)?
 Angie Lester 03 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:

Im normally a five and a half, my rock shoes are 6 and a half, red chillis, dunno why, cant explain it, below this size i coulnt even get em on!

(where as hubby are a size smaller)
 Bulls Crack 03 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:

Where did you find the HVD?
 Jamie B 03 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:

Climbing walls regularly give out shoes a size or even two sizes above normal. Kids and punters on taster courses will simply not accept a standard rock shoe fit. I stopped trying to argue the case about loose shoes being crap to climb in some time ago.
 Bainbridge 03 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:
each to their own mate, aslong as they can't slip off!

my old shoes used to be a size to big but fit like normal shoes and they worked for me but it did affect my footwork

I have now got a pair of evolve pontases that are the same size as my shoe, they are tight but not so tight that they are painfull.

your footwork will be better with tighter shoes but it depends if you want to sacrifice your comfort. I know i cant climb properly when my feet are uncomfy, its finding the right balance for you.

sadsetts 04 May 2009
I normally take a 7 or 8 in "street shoes" depending on the manufacturer. But i take a 8.5 in a 5.10 galileo. I find that these are a good fit...... not too tight, nor too loose. I can bare to wear them for a good old session, but find that my toes are sore afterwards.
I guess I like to be able to wear my shoes without the tears, but each to there own.
 The Pylon King 04 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:

At the end of the day you can climb many VS/HVS routes in trainers.
 Jamie B 04 May 2009
In reply to The Pylon King:

> At the end of the day you can climb many VS/HVS routes in trainers.

Why wait until the evening?

jon 04 May 2009
In reply to peter pan:

I've got a pair of el cheapos from Quechua size 45 that I bought following an accident last September. I nomally wear 40 - 42, depending on make. They're rubbish, but VERY comfy.
 AlH 04 May 2009
In reply to peter pan: I've 3 pairs, 1 smaller than my normal shoes size, one the same and one larger. The middle pair are actually the slackest and I wear them for all day easy routes. The biggest pair are very snug but not uncomfortable and get worn for long harder routes and the smallest pair take a little effort to get on and are worn on short routes at my limit. As Bainbrige says a pair that support your foot well will allow you to use and fell smaller holds and to generate more force through them. If you want to climb on routes that are harder for you then a snugger fit (how snug is up to you) will help your footwork.
You do have to take into account manufacturers differences (which is why I have an 11.5UK shoe that is tighter than my 11UK shoe) and the individual shape of your foot which means you will only know how it will feel when you try it on.
Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...