UKC

nicked a tendon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonanf 05 May 2009
with a chainsaw i have nicked the central slip on back of left ring finger. anyone done similar? have any prognosis as to recovery for climbing? medics say 10-12 weeks before tendon is full strength but i would like to hear whats what from someone who has done it.
In reply to tonanf: Sounds nasty. How did you manage that? Right hand on rear saw handle, left hand holding what you were cutting?

Have had tendon injuries from climbing which have taken over a year to heal fully. Hope yours goes faster. I would imagine its quite an infrequent injury for most climbers...

Get well soon!
 misterb 05 May 2009
In reply to tonanf:
i cut my index finger open and took a cunk out of the tendon that lies on top of it closest to the knuckle and have had no problems with it , probably didnt climb for at least 8 weeks after though
In reply to tonanf: Since it's on the back, it'll only be a stabiliser so proabbly won't ever be under a huge amount of tension.

Just be carefull and take it easy I'd say.
 teflonpete 05 May 2009
In reply to tonanf:
Ouch! That sounds really scary.
As for the recovery, a friend of mine severed a tendon in his palm a few years ago and had to have his finger stitched to his palm and his hand in plaster for a couple of months followed by physio for quite a while. Hopefully your recovery will be much much quicker than that as the tendon that my friend damaged was one that closes the hand to grip not open it. Give yourself plenty of time to recover though, you don't want to damage it further by exercising it too soon. I know it's a pain but better to climb in the autumn than damage it further and not climb again until next spring. Keep training the other arm and hand in the meantime though.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...