UKC

Gogarth / Pass - how long to dry out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 21 May 2009
Thinking of heading to Gogarth and/or the Pass this weekend if the forecast holds out. Looking like will be some rain on Thursday and Friday, though not torrential. Would be interested to know how long it normally takes to dry out round there, whether there is much seepage and which crags would be the best bet.

The guide books suggest that much of Gogarth and the crags on the North side of the Pass are fairly sunny, unfortunately doesn't look like it will be particularly sunny in the next few days. Also noticed that in the Right Wall / Lord of the Flies thread there were some comments that both of those routes are likely to still be seeping - not looking to try those just as yet anyway, but what about some of the easier classics on the Cromlech, do they get much seepage? Only been there once and that was after a good dry spell.

Of course slate or Tremadog would be safe options.

Thanks
 Matt_b 21 May 2009
In reply to Misha: Was in exactly the same position last week. Had been raining all week and on friday. Saturday Wen Zawn was fairly dry and even during rain showers whilst on the route, dried out quickly afterwards. Wasing raining and wet in the pass all day.

Next day pass was still seeping on quite a few routes.
 John2 21 May 2009
In reply to Matt_b: Some routes in the Pass dry out surprisingly quickly if there's enough wind overnight. As far as the Cromlech goes Left Wall is usually the first route to dry out followed by Resurrection. It's common for people to be climbing both of these while Right Wall is still unclimbable.
 sutty 21 May 2009
In reply to Misha:

I have done many of the classics on the Cromlech either just after rain or actually raining, but this was in PAs in the days before sticky rubber that seems to behave differently.

Cenotaph Corner, after a night of heavy rain, we gave it a couple of hours to dry off a bit.
Cobweb crack similar
Ivy Sepulchre it rained the day before.
Left wall it rained the day before.
The Gates will not be affected apart from the start of second pitch maybe.

If it is clean, it is climbable. I was a tad unpopular with our team when I did Kaisergebirge wall as it was raining hard, it was fairly sheltered on the climb but they were getting very wet at the bottom, and I had the car keys. They threw clods of earth and pebbles at me to come down, no chance after doing the crux.

The Mot is a different matter, you need to pick your routes carefully on there after rain, so Mole, Plexus and Maybe Nexus are the cleanest HVS+ routes up there.
OP Misha 21 May 2009
In reply to sutty:

Great story!

The Mot I'd leave for a hot day.

Might head for Pembroke or Cornwall as weather looking a tad better there. Nice to get a couple of decent days weather-wise after a few poor weekends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...