UKC

I do hope it's a new grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robert Dickson 02 Jun 2009
Ok, so I'm idling away at work looking at the new photies on UKC when I followed the link on a pic of Cioch Nose (ace picture by the way) to the logbook for that route. I see that it's a pretty even split between those who reckon it's a hard vd and those who reckon it's actually hvd. So come on then UKC'ers which is the harder grade?
 dingbat46 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Robert Dickson:

Not answering the question but :
Personally i'd reckon it was a pretty easy VD, did it about a month ago in big boots and rucksacks.
 chrisprescott 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Robert Dickson: Is there actually any difference between the two? They both stand for the same thing so I don't really see any difference
 CurlyStevo 02 Jun 2009
Looking at the votes the majority think its a Vdiff (add all the votes for Vdiff whether easy or hard) with most people thinking it is in the high end of that grade (hard).

Hard Very Difficult or (HVDiff or HVD) is the next grade up with just over a 1/3 thinking it should be this grade. Some of the UK doesn't use the HVD grade or rarely uses it and would either call it Severe or VDiff.

The confusion here is that hard VD and HVD are meaning different things in the voting table.
 Chris F 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Robert Dickson: It's the same as voting if something is Hard (for) VS as opposed to HVS, or Hard (for) S as opposed to HS. Or are you just being pedantic? How would you prefer they set it up in the voting system, if you are.

Hard hard v diff or easy hard v diff..life is so complicated...
 Owen W-G 02 Jun 2009

HVM: Hard Very Moderate?
londonrocks 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Owen W-G: Haha. I like it.
 Reach>Talent 02 Jun 2009
Sounds like a classic VDiff + to me.
 catt 02 Jun 2009

Clearly a case for HVD0 if ever there was one.
 petestack 02 Jun 2009
In reply to catt:

There wasn't!
 Silum 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Robert Dickson)
>
> Hard hard v diff or easy hard v diff..life is so complicated...

Thats actually quite straight forward... its HVD- vrs VD+ thats the problem...they're essentially the same grade.

Its the only place where this problem occurs I think, mainly because HVD is one of those invented grades that doesn't mean much...and its only even used in a few places. VS+ vs HVS- makes sense for example.

Bulls Crack 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Silum:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> Thats actually quite straight forward... its HVD- vrs VD+ thats the problem...they're essentially the same grade.
>
> Its the only place where this problem occurs I think, mainly because HVD is one of those invented grades that doesn't mean much...and its only even used in a few places. VS+ vs HVS- makes sense for example.

Like HS - that doesn't exist either.....oh...what about MS and MVS..or any of them for that matter; they're all invented and they all exist since the difficulty is a continuum. It all just depends if you want to use them or not!
 Silum 03 Jun 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Well MS is used even less! I see your point, but never in all my life have I met someone who considered themselves a HVD climber, they either a V.Diff climber or Severe climber. All of these grades essentially only exist because the guidebook writers have decided not to use a + or -. HVD- IS the same as VD+ because when + and - are used, the the scale should really be VD, VD+, S-, S. Otherwise its VD, HVD, MS, S. Same thing! With an online logbook like at UKC you just have a strange situation where people start grading for essentially the same thing under different names.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...