UKC

Ratho quarry good and bad stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andymoin 04 Jun 2009
So some good and bad stuff going on at ratho quarry;

Some one has bolted the line left of grapes of ratho, to produce pulms of ratho a nice 7 something.
There has also been a bit of clearing been going on, with the shrubbery below the ledge getting chopped and some of the gorse above east wall as well. Good effort!

However was up yesterday a the gate at the top of the fire escape has been panelled of and the top of it and the adjacent fence tarred. Its now impossible to open from the outside forcing you to climb the fence. Why has this happened? Dose the MCofS know? I'll prob write to them this eve to find out what's happening.

On a side note. Anyone up for a full on cleaning day? There are still routes that need allot of attention and some of those cleaned last year are already sprouting green stuff.

Andy
 Alec 06 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin:

Climbed there this week for the first time. Jumped over the fence to avoid the gorse, and was dismayed to find grease on top of the locked gate, so ended up walking all the way around the centre to get back to the bottom.

I'd be happy to lend a hand in a clean up. Did you contact the MCofS?

Do you know what the script is with climbing outside at Ratho? I was under the impression that you were supposed to let the centre staff know you were going to climb outside, but when I went to reception they didn't seem to understand the concept.

Cheers.
Removed User 06 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin:

Andy,

I'd come along for an evening if you fancy. If I have a day to spare I'd rather it use for going climbing.

I could provide some transport as well.

What do reckon needs cleaned at the moment, I haven't been there this year. I'd suggest clearing a lot of the undergrowth and gorse at the top of the back wall.

The whole fire escape thing is bollox in my opinion, health and safety gone mad, blah blah. I'd be interested to see what reply you get from the MCofS it should be something they take seriously.
 JdotP 06 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin:

The shrubbery is a good climb, I can't believe such wanton vandalism is taking place...
 akhughes 08 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin: I beleive the gate was boarded up to stop the local youth having sex and shitting in the fire escape. Evidence of this is still obvious. This does not effect anyone accessing the crag or getting back down to the bottom after climbing. Access can still be made down the fire escape next to tiso and the fire escape bridge can be accessed from the top of the crag. I hope you have not wasted the MCofS's time with a letter before finding out the more than valid reason they gate has been boarded up. Hope this clears things up.
 Hay 08 Jun 2009
In reply to akhughes:
> to stop the local youth having sex and shitting in the fire escape.
Not at the same time, surely??

Bruce

James Jackson 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Hay:

For some (namely BenP) that's the definition of a good evening!
OP andymoin 08 Jun 2009
In reply to akhughes: OK so now we have a reason, not a great one as it won't stop the youths, just present a more entertaining challange for them. How much was wasted on the cctv, flood lights and gate modifications I hate to think.

The mcofs have been contacted and I'm looking forward to hearing there reply as I'm guessing this was done with out there consultation or any thought for climbers access.

I still believe this is an access issue.

I regularly cycle the back way from ratho village and use the gate as do several other folk. Also the top of the crag is in such a vegetated state most folk jump the fence next to there climb then use the gate.

All that will happen is the fence along abit form the tarred section will get trashed with folk climbing it!
 Hay 08 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin:
Andy,
I would not get too stressed about this - I'd be amazed if the gate was reopened. I think it will have to be accepted.
Granted abseiling with a bike would be a 'mare but for when you're actually climbing it does not make any real difference...it is a quick, easy abseil back into the quarry.
I think we all need to choose our battles and the Limekilns issue is far, far more serious.

Bruce
OP andymoin 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Removed User: Good man, will maybe be up later in the week so will let you know.

Route that sill need cleaned are as follows some of these are big project and some just need greenery pulled and a brush;
Quick Pull, Pettifer's Wall, 5000 Christmas Trees, Business as usual.

These were cleaned last year but there all ready getting a bit over grown and dirty;
Alan's Groove, Wally 1, Diverticulitis, Monkey Puzzler, TheLone Groover.

Probably a better idea would be to do some more clearing at the top of the crag allowing access to the fire escape bridge and negating the gate issue slightly.

OP andymoin 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Hay: Yeh would have to agree!
OP andymoin 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Alec: Will let you know if we get a cleaning day/eve organised. No need to tell reception your climbing btw.
wellmn 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Hay:

Not climbed at Limekilns for some time. Is there still an access issue?
 Hay 09 Jun 2009
In reply to wellmn:
There is a thread about it now...
 akhughes 11 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin: there have been less problems since the gate was changed. if you cycle for 30 secs more then your access is no more difficult. the easy access before all ther extra measure were taken was thought to helped to the thefts and break ins which have come to a stop since the extra measures have been taken. I'm sorry you feel hard done by, but I could alway just put up bird and bat boxes. I'm sure that would actually make a difference. an extra 30 sec cycle is nothing really.
OP andymoin 12 Jun 2009
In reply to akhughes:
> the easy access before all ther extra measure were taken was thought to helped to the thefts and break ins which have come to a stop since the extra measures have been taken.

Fair enough you didn't mention break-ins and theft before! Can see why the gate access has been changed now.

Didn't really feel hard done by just though it was an unreasonable response to some minor trouble with youths.

Hopefully if we can get a proper crag clean sorted there will be no more need for fence jumping.

BTW What would Rathos stance be on a cleaning event? Could a skip, tools, barby, music ect be provided?

Had quite a few folk expressing interest on this thread and thro email so thinking of trying to get one properly organised with the mcofs backing as per the Rosyth one last year.

Removed User 12 Jun 2009
In reply to andymoin:

Andy,

Drop me a line when you fancy an evening's pruning and brushing. I'm around next week and then on holiday for the next two.

By the way, I suspect cleaning Pettifer's wall is a bit of a futile task. There seems to be a spring near the top that continually washes earth down it. Of course if you want to give it a clean and then climb it immediately I'll be happy to hold your rope...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...