UKC

Abseiling - Overhand knot !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 07 Jun 2009
For decades I have used the double fishermans and reef knot for abseiling and have noticed increasing numbers using the simple overhand knot (which I like as it's small and neat and thus hopefully less likely to snag). My one query is about rope thickness, for example say you were abseiling on one 8.5mm rope tied (by the overhand knot) to a 9mm rope - is the overhand knot as safe ??

I ask this as I often climb with people who dont have the same rope as me and any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanking you all in anticipation !
 johnnorman 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):

Absolutely fine, just leave good tails.
 maresia 07 Jun 2009

Tie a second overhand up against the first. This will stop the knot rolling over and moving down the tails as it is loaded.

Isn't the overhand otherwise know as the European Death Knot??
 Fat Tim 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): My understanding is that an overhand knot is good for ropes of the same diameters, (with good length tails left) and the double fisherman's is good for ropes of different diameters.
 Tom Last 07 Jun 2009
In reply to maresia:
> (In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC))

> Isn't the overhand otherwise know as the European Death Knot??

Think that's the figure8.
 pigeonjim 07 Jun 2009
In reply to maresia:
>
> Tie a second overhand up against the first. This will stop the knot rolling over and moving down the tails as it is loaded.
>
> Isn't the overhand otherwise know as the European Death Knot??

Be careful to keep both knots tight together or you increase the risk of getting your ropes stuck
 petestack 07 Jun 2009
> My one query is about rope thickness, for example say you were abseiling on one 8.5mm rope tied (by the overhand knot) to a 9mm rope - is the overhand knot as safe ??

For those rope diameters, for all practical purposes, yes (as in plenty strong enough):

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=355663
http://www.bdel.com/scene/beta/qc_kp_archive.php#123008

Misha 07 Jun 2009

You could try a figure of eight - harder for it to get undone and should still glide nicely. Adding a second overhand would be at least as bulky.
 nniff 07 Jun 2009

I habitually join an 8.5 and a 9.3 with an overhand and no sign of any movement
 Tom Last 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:

Aaaargh, I'd be careful about recommending using a figure8. Depends how you tie them. If tied with both ends of the rope coming out of the same side of the knot, they roll easily.

I think you need to make sure that the each rope comes out of opposite ends of the knot.

liz j 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:
A figure 8 is not a safe knot to use to tie the ends for an abseil. The knot is loaded incorrectly and this can cause it to roll over itself under even small loads. At least oneperson has been killed in this way.
 Misha 07 Jun 2009
In reply to liz j:
Just been trying to make a figure of eight roll, admittedly just by pulling on it rather than abseiling off the balcony. I suppose it's possible but seems unlikely, provided you've tightened the know and given the live ends a good tug in opposite directions. I've seen guides use a figure of eight on many occasions, so surely can't be that dangerous? Of course a double fisherman's is safer.
 Misha 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
Could you explain please - how would you have the dead ends coming out of different ends of the knot - do you mean looping one of the ends back through the knot?
 Tom Last 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:

Yes, sorry I think that tied that way it's called a double figure of 8.

A normal figure of eight is definitely not safe, as others have said above, deaths have occured.
OP Anonymous 07 Jun 2009

It's becoming more and more commonplace these days. It usually works fine.

You'll know if it slips if you send your mate down first. If you hear
" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ggg-hhhhhhhh Splaat!!!!!" it's a sign it's slipped and you'll realise you shouldn't have listened to anyone on here with their fancy continental ideas.
 liz j 07 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:
I too have seen the fig 8 tied, as for an overhand knot, and it used to be standard for a lot of climbers. I have actually pulled a fig 8 apart with my hands on a piece of cord. Once the knot flips, it doesn't stop. I have abseiled many hundreds of feet, on wet, icy and dry ropes, using an overhand and will continue to use it. As for the other method of using a fig 8, the double fig 8, it has no advantage over a reef knot plus double fishermans, indeed it is probably more difficult to untie. I would not know if it is stronger than a reef not in this situation.
As for the simple fig 8, tied as per overhand, don't go there!!!
londonrocks 08 Jun 2009
In reply to maresia: No The Euro Death knot is two overhands close on top of each other. Despite the name, it is very safe.
 Jonny2vests 08 Jun 2009

It's been approved and accepted by the BMC and the MLTE, thats good enough for me.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 08 Jun 2009
In reply to jonny2vests: Hhhmmmmm, think I will give the Overhand knot a go in future, thanks all !
 jkarran 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:

> Just been trying to make a figure of eight roll, admittedly just by pulling on it rather than abseiling off the balcony.

Not to be rude but that proves nothing about performance of the knot.

> I suppose it's possible but seems unlikely, provided you've tightened the know and given the live ends a good tug in opposite directions. I've seen guides use a figure of eight on many occasions, so surely can't be that dangerous? Of course a double fisherman's is safer.

As unlikely as it may seem the figure of eight with tails both the same end of the knot really is that bad. You might get away with it a few times... then again, you might not.

jk
 JDDD 08 Jun 2009
> For decades I have used the double fishermans and reef knot for abseiling

No problem with the fishermans apart from the fact I can never undo it afterwards, but the reef knot is surely asking for trouble. The whole point of it is that it can be turned into a slip knot by simply pulling any two of the ends coming out of the same end of the knot. Wouldn't trust it with a barge poll... unless I were reefing a sail of course!

Overhand knot is sound as a pound... in a favourable economic environment.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009

I've happily used single overhands for much bigger rope discrepancies than that (8.5 and 10.5). I do make sure the knot is properly formed, though, with the strands not twisting round themselves in the knot and I've never witnessed any tendency to roll at all. My only concession is that I will not leave tails 0cm.
 Rob Exile Ward 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman: I think Allan means a fishermans as well as a reef knot - the theory used to be that a reef knot in the middle of two fishermans made it easier to untie.

What I don't understand about this continuing debate is the speed aspect. If you are doing multiple abs then you still only tie and untie the ropes once, so any speed advantages of the EDK are minimised. Double fishermans for me I'm afraid!
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

EDK is not the overhand knot. As any fule no.
 billy.grant 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): With ropes of a different thickness ALWAYS USE THE DOUBLE FISHERMANS TO ABSEIL WITH. The overhand is only recommended with ropes of the same thickness. And always leave about a metre of tail when using the overhand.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009
In reply to billy.grant:
> (In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC)) With ropes of a different thickness ALWAYS USE THE DOUBLE FISHERMANS TO ABSEIL WITH. The overhand is only recommended with ropes of the same thickness. And always leave about a metre of tail when using the overhand.

References, please. And not to some crank site either. I would like to know at what rope diameter discrepancy an overhand is shown to fail under abseil load and why on earth you need 1m of tail on one . And there is no need to shout.

johnnorman 08 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:

I`ve used an overhand knot with different sized ropes many many times.

And i`m still here.
 speekingleesh 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha:
> (In reply to liz j)
> Just been trying to make a figure of eight roll, admittedly just by pulling on it rather than abseiling off the balcony. I suppose it's possible but seems unlikely [...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Cg8homvoU&feature=PlayList&p=8EF11... look about 50 seconds in.
 JDDD 08 Jun 2009

> What I don't understand about this continuing debate is the speed aspect. If you are doing multiple abs then you still only tie and untie the ropes once, so any speed advantages of the EDK are minimised. Double fishermans for me I'm afraid!

Fair dos, but the double fishermans does have the tendancy to get stuck as it is symetrical. It is also an absolute pig to undo, especially if you are knackered. The overhand knot is fine - it is just a psychological thing as to whether you can persuade yourself to trust it.
 JDDD 08 Jun 2009
In reply to speekingleesh: Interesting video, but what were the forces involved here? Given that the rope broke before the knot came undone, I am guessing that a couple of tonnes of force were used. If you can reproduce that on abseil I would be very impressed!
In reply to billy.grant:
> With ropes of a different thickness ALWAYS USE THE DOUBLE FISHERMANS TO ABSEIL WITH. The overhand is only recommended with ropes of the same thickness. And always leave about a metre of tail when using the overhand.

Hey it's in capitals it must be true...

Also a metre of tail is just plain overkill. The reason you leave tail is to guard against the knot flipping once (maybe twice) if it's flipping more than that then you've tied a fig 8. and are dead already. The six to ten inches that is the 'usual' (Kirkpatrick, BMC etc.) recommendation is about right.

The worst abseiling experience I ever had was trying to retreat off a sea-stack in the pissing rain only to find we couldn't pull the ropes through. Reason? We'd left far too much tail which had (in the wind) managed to wrap itself around the ropes and tangle everything up.

Ian Milward 08 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to billy.grant)
> [...]
>
> References, please. And not to some crank site either. I would like to know at what rope diameter discrepancy an overhand is shown to fail under abseil load and why on earth you need 1m of tail on one . And there is no need to shout.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-182999/Climber-dead-national-park.h...

This climber was known to me. He had set off on his own to a local crag to shunt a few routes. He had approached the crag from the top where there is a handy tree.

Colin was found at the base of the crag by two other climbers, his abseil plate attached to his harness with two long unknotted lengths of rope leading (what would have been) upwards out of this - one rope was thicker than the other. He was known to favour a single overhand knot for abbing.

No-one was present to witness the accident, but most people can work out the likely cause. He was an experienced and respected climber.

You are only likely to have one abseil accident. Try and put it off as long as possible...

Don't use a single overhand on different diameter ropes as a routine method.

In reply to Jon Dittman:
> Interesting video, but what were the forces involved here?

Fair point (though it is quite a nice demonstration of flipping at work).

These guys seem to think that flipping occurs between 0.4 and 3.3 kN (depending on how well you tied the knot).

http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/EDK.html

They also seem to show that tying an overhand with a 11mm rope and a 8mm rope make little difference to the when it rolls. Though to be honest I'd want some more test's to show reproducibility...
 liz j 08 Jun 2009
In reply to speekingleesh:
Andy K quotes a fig 8 failure at a mere 30kg!!!
 Ian Milward 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Ian Milward:

For Tick Tor, read Pic Tor. Reporters, eh?

There is a plaque in tribute at the base of the crag.

In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to speekingleesh)
> Andy K quotes a fig 8 failure at a mere 30kg!!!

Only just outside the range that Moyer came up with (0.3 as opposed 0.4 kN) but then they did freeze the knot to make it a worst case scenario.
J1234 08 Jun 2009
I had this issue and the best answer i could get was that it should be ok, but Libby Peters states in her book that it should not be used for joining ropes of different diameters and some people don`t know what diameter their ropes are, so my solution was to buy a matching pair, problem solved.
Cheers Beds
In reply to Ian Milward:
> No-one was present to witness the accident, but most people can work out the likely cause.

This is the most important bit of the story though. No-one does know what happened. While it may make increase people's doubt about the technique it's hardly evidence that it's unsafe. There are many possible explanations that would fit the circumstances but only one of them is that the knot was the root cause.

The problem is that that explanation seems at odds with the available test data (the data in the previous link and also some testing done by Edelrid linked from that). Granted this is only a limited piece of testing but it does seem to indicate that for a properly tied overhand, difference in rope diameter doesn't make a difference.
 Ian Milward 08 Jun 2009
> (In reply to Ian Milward)
> [...]
>
> This is the most important bit of the story though. No-one does know what happened....

No I suppose they don't. At the end of the day you are perfectly correct, however I suspect many others will not agree with what you consider to be the most important bit of the story I related in response to the OP.

I've no problem with anyone - including you - continuing to use a single overhand on different dia. ropes for abbing, particularly when they have been made aware of a potential problem with that arrangement.

OP Anonymous 08 Jun 2009
In reply to J1234:
>....that it should not be used for joining ropes of different diameters and some people don`t know what diameter their ropes are

If you are joining two climbing ropes, typically between 8 and 11mm diamenter, then there is not really going to be a problem with slippage, so long as the tails are left long enough and you tighten the knot before loading it. It is tried and tested and works fine.

Slippage can occur when joining ropes of vastly different diameter - like a 5mm with 11mm rope, but even then, it's not a certainty.

Solsbury 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): Not qualified to give full answer though I use overhand knot-one practical issue with very long tails is placing them through abseil device in mistake for abseil rope-have witnessed this twice, though before person staarted the abseil.
Rich
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Ian Milward:

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Disturbing though it is, it is still very circumstantial. Everyone can draw their own conclusions but the documented evidence (as in the link) is slim to non existant.

Until I see any evidence that a correctly tied overhand knot can simply undo itself, I'm happy to go with my experiences.
 Ian Milward 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Anonymous:

See my posts above.

I believe the ropes in that incident were 9mm and 11mm.

As has been pointed out, no-one was there to witness the incident, just the aftermath, but I think it would be a shame if another climber died as a result of being unaware, before abbing on one, of the potential for a single overhand on different dia. ropes to roll out.

I feel I've responded responsibly to the OP, and, being aware of this accident, my conscience is clear having passed on this information to others.
In reply to everyone:

This is a very useful summary of Ab knot options with some good test data.

http://www.needlesports.com/advice/abseilknots.htm
 Ian Milward 08 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:

I don't necessarily consider a properly-tied single overhand as risky, provided, as stated by others, it is tightened and has long tails. Occasionaly I use them myself.

The OP was asking about one tied in different ropes which is why I felt compelled to respond.

Personally I would NEVER use a single overhand on two different diameter ropes.

P.S. If Colin had a user profile, it would have been similar to yours at the time of his death, except he climbed up to E5 in his day and had more kids. He can't now pass on his experience to others personally. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me doing it for him.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Ian Milward:

I understand. I remember reading about the trajedy at the time.
J1234 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to bedspring)

>
> If you are joining two climbing ropes, typically between 8 and 11mm diamenter, then there is not really going to be a problem with slippage, so long as the tails are left long enough and you tighten the knot before loading it. It is tried and tested and works fine.
>
>

Greatest respect but your anonymous and using the phrases "not really" and "so long as" so not exactly Libby Peters saying hey Beds 9mm and a 10mm with an overhand, no problem.
Some people call me risk averse, now that seems a good attitude in climbing to me, so i`ll stay with my matched ropes unless circumstances dictate i have to make an educated compromise.
However I don`t know why but I sense from your posting that if I knew who you are I`d take your advice.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009

The moniker EDK has been applied to a number of knots, including the basic overhand and the figure of 8. Because of this it is an emmotive title with very little value.
In reply to GrahamD: 'EDK is not the overhand knot. As any fule no.' I think you'll find that you are wrong. Google it if you like.
In reply to speekingleesh: I'd call it a tape knot (when in tape!) Peter Cliff calls it an overhand knot in his books and alpine climbing and ski touring, I used to wonder whether people weren't mixing it up with the EDK, but perhaps not.
 Eddy7 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Misha: A figure of eight is very unsafe used in this situation as the knot is loaded in the wrong direction and will roll towards the tails!
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2009

EDK has been used to refer to all sorts of knots, not just the overhand. Its one of those throw away terms used by someone to mean any knot they don't prsonally endorse, irrespective of the safety of the knot.
 Timmd 08 Jun 2009

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2009/03/euro-death-knot.html

You might find this helpfull,it's by the American Alpine Institute,and it's got a video on how to tie the knot safely.

Cheers
Tim
 Timmd 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):Johnathan Lagoe's link look's more up to date actually.

Tim
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Timmd: Cheers everyone for all the above.
I am off to alps and expect we will be abbing at some point and will give the double overhand a go as it would be ok with a 9mm and 8.5mm I guess. Would not consider abbing with Overhand Knot (double or otherwise)if ropes had more than 1mm difference in diameter.
 Misha 09 Jun 2009
Interesting. Guess I'll have to try to remember to use an overhand. What is also clear is that how well the knot is tied and the condition of the rope are both important in determining the failure load. If it was really 30kg with a well tied know on a dry rope, quite a few people would be dead by now, myself included. I also wonder whether the know tightens when it flips, making subsequent flipping less likely. It would be useful to have some tests to compare the loads require for first time and subsequent flipping. The double overhand seems like a good idea - a bit bulkier but should still glide when being pulled through.
 knudeNoggin 09 Jun 2009
 liz j 09 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:
Did you copy all that off the web??
The cord that I used was 7mm, not that different to a pair of icelines really. Also, how many people have used a fig 8 to tie a piece of cord around a spike, something else to think about. I personally would never use a fig8 to join my ropes. I much prefer an overhand knot. Each to their own.
 GrahamD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:

> Not really: "EDK" is a gift from the States and refers to the Offset Ring Bend,... "EDK-8" has been used to refer to the Offset Fig.8 bend.

EDK has been used to refer to both offset ring bend (standard overhand to most climbers) and to figure of 8 bends - both when the term was originally coined and on UKC threads. Therefore not only is it a needlesley emmotive (as in "death") term, it is ambiguous.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD: Wow - people here can get a bit obsessive, can't they! It's 'emotive' btw. And I'm not - I think EDK is quite an amusing term, and it's *almost* persuaded me to change my ways...
 speekingleesh 09 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:
>> Andy K quotes a fig 8 failure at a mere 30kg!!!
> And so what? Some people claim WMD in Iraq, or UFOs, or ... ELVIS !
[...]
> I.e., don't slap away at the keyboard with "I heard that ..." echoes of speculation.

That isn't random speculation though that is Kirkpatrick quoting (one of the) results of a systematic test, which he then links to...
 GrahamD 09 Jun 2009

"Emotive". I sit corrected

Personally I see "EDK" as a typical 'Americanism' but I'm not really sure its helpful in what ought to be an objective discussion.
 knudeNoggin 09 Jun 2009
> (In reply to knudeNoggin)
> >> Andy K quotes a fig 8 failure at a mere 30kg!!!
> > [... So what? ...]
> That isn't random speculation though that is Kirkpatrick quoting (one of the)
> results of a systematic test, which he then links to...

I don't see the URLink, but I'll guess it might be the Aussie Bushwalkers report.

The point remains, though: ALL can go out and do the pertinent testing
of exactly the ropes they might be tying together (well, in most cases);
there need not be this continual "he said 'boo'..." hysteria, which gets one
nowhere. YOU can generate way more than 30kg in the pulley bounce
test I recommended -- and when your Offset-8 doesn't seem interested
in flyping, what are you going to do? Question how it was, and in what
exact materials it was, that the same knot was found to go at 30kg!?

Again, there's good reason to not use the Offset Fig.8 as it does show
greater vulnerability to flyping--its extra half turn only providing that
much more material to yield to stretch and open--, and there are many
alternatives with better performance. (One can marry the Fig.8 & the
Overhand into an Offset 8-Oh which looks good--ends here point in
opposite directions (the half-turn difference between the two forms),
which gives different dynamics than with the known knots.)

---------
The qualities of materials that increase vulnerability of these offset knots
to flype are:

1) stiffness -- making it hard to set the knot into tight turns, snug ;
2) stretchiness -- which gives deformity under stress ;
3) rough/frictive surface -- which impedes the setting of a knot tightly;
which makes the draw on parts to pull open a knot more sure.

The typical thinner haul line will usually be opposite on aspects 1 & 2
-- flexible, so tightening well; low-elongation, so holding the choke.

Again, in different diameter ropes, there is an orientation --thinner rope
making the choke-- that is ADVANTAGEOUS to the knot's stability!
That, and the easy tying off of the thinner end around the other to put
a block on its being drawn out on loading, render a sure knot unwanting
of the usual (and hardly reassuring) precaution to "leave long tails".
(As in "oh, that dog's safe -- just stay 50' away".) Having the additional
Overhand tie-off in the thinner rope of course also adds less bulk (than
tying a full, 2nd ORB to back up the first).

----------------
a note about testing:
----------------
On this particular issue, the relevant testing isn't the traditional break
test with a slow-pull device, for (a) that doesn't model how the knot's
loaded in practice (more of low, varying loads) and (b) produces a result
that is irrelevant -- any knot will be strong enough.

In general, ask yourself if you have enough information from the test
report to replicate the testing! --typically, one does not: one doesn't
know the exact materials used, or the exact geometry of the knot.
(E.g., in testing of the Fig.8 eye-knot Lyon Equip. was careful to actually
specify the two main loadings --either of the parallel ends, i.e.-- in a
set of tied-with-a-bight eye knots; but these commonly tested knots
are usually NOT articulated to this simple degree, even. So we can still
wonder at what differences might obtain.

Ask if the loading is a good model for the intended practice. In this
case of the offset bends (ARJ knots), one might wonder if e.g. Moyer's
results where the knot flyped would be different were a suspended mass
producing the force instead of a test device with a constant-rate-of-pull
extension? --that on the knot's flype/roll, the subsequent loading would
be both quicker to bear and a bit of a shock ?!! With slow-pull, maybe
the knot has some chance to bind better.

(I've seen slow-pull tests break clove hitches around krabs;
but I recall that Jim Ewing of Sterling did some drop tests in which
the cloves spilled, the mass decked ! (Lyon found slow-pulled
cloves to break in one (one, not everyone--beyond their expenses!)
dynamic rope, but NOT hold in several low-elongation ropes.) )

*knudeNoggin*
 GrahamD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:

Out of interest, do you have a life outside knots and splices ? just curious
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD: I think maybe a course in summarising conclusions might be appropriate.
 liz j 09 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:
>
> Out of interest, do you have a life outside knots and splices ? just curious

I was wondering that too, seems to like pasting though
 Moses 11 Jun 2009

I am surprised no one has mentioned the use of a reef knot, then backed up with a double fisherman's on each side for ropes of equal diameter. I believe it was the preferred method for many years as it is easier to undo then just a double fisherman's.

For ropes of unequal diameter the knot to use is a sheet bend , again finished off with a double fisherman's on each side. This knot will not slip and could be used to tie an 11mm rope and 8.5mm!
 Dave Garnett 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Moses:

I'm always surprised that people complain that, although widely regarded as the 'safest' knot, the double fisherman's is hard to undo after loading. I can't say I've ever found this to be a major problem. I think there's a bit of a knack to untwisting the knot to loosen it. Or maybe I don't climb with anyone too heavy!
 chris_s 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Moses:

It's been mentioned several times in this thread, including the OP...
 GrahamD 11 Jun 2009

In the interests of scientific research (and in no way is this a reccomended configuration for actual abseiling) I did an experiment at the wall last night: I tied an 11mm single rope to a length of 5mm accessory cord (as used for prusics, abseil tat etc.) using a single overhand knot with 12" tails ('offset ring bend' or one manifestation of 'EDK' if you prefer). I tied the cord off to the first hanger and the 11mm rope to my harness.

I then gradually loaded my weight onto the rope and, when fully suspended, did a few simulated abseil 'bounces'. Note that in this configuration the knot is subject to my full 80kG weight, not half my weight as it would be in an abseil set up. Observing the knot, as it was loaded, it made half a turn - tightening as it did so - and was then solid from thereon in. This used maybe 1/2" of the available 12" of tail.

This experiment further reassures me (personally) that using an overhand knot to tie abseil ropes of slightly different diameters is a perfectly valid thing to do.
 David Coley 11 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:

One of the main reasons not to join two ropes of very difference diameters (eg 11mm and 6mm) when rapping is that they can pass through the belay plate at different rates. This could be fatal. You can get around the problem by joining the ropes with a screwgate that is also clipped to the fatter rope under the chains. You then rap on the fat rope only and pull the thin to get the rope down. For those that know it, this is the same set up as used to rap with a gri-gri.

GrahamD 11 Jun 2009
In reply to David Coley (SDMC):

Obviously what I described was just to illustrate how strong the knot is even with very different diametre ropes.

As far as actually abbing off an 11mm and 5mm, I guess the biggest problem is actually keeping hold of the thinner rope ! I don't think the different rates is so much of an issue in itself provided one is aware that the end of one strand will arrive a way before the other. As you say, there are better ways to manage the thick + very thin rope scenario.
 JDDD 11 Jun 2009
In reply to David Coley (SDMC):
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> One of the main reasons not to join two ropes of very difference diameters (eg 11mm and 6mm) when rapping is that they can pass through the belay plate at different rates. This could be fatal.

I am sure you are right on this point, but it seemed to be fairly standard practice when I went climbing in Yosemite. You climb on a 10mm but drag up a 6mm dynamic rope for abseil purposes. Seemed to work fine to me and tied of course with the overhand knot!
 chris_s 11 Jun 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman:

With the 10mm/6mm combination, there is a way you can avoid tying the ropes together: Tie a krab into the end of the 10mm rope and secure to the anchor using a larksfoot. You can then ab only on the 10mm and use the 6mm to pull the krab down and retrieve the rope.
 David Coley 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman:

6 and 10mm seems to work fine unless one raps very fast. I have once given myself a real fright. Much thinner than 6mm and I think it best to link with a screw gate back clipped.
 knudeNoggin 17 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:
>
> In the interests of scientific research ...

THANKS!

> I tied an 11mm single rope to a length of 5mm accessory cord ...
> using a single overhand knot with 12" tails ('offset ring bend'

Yes, but as I tried to very carefully explain/describe above
(to someone's apparent annoyance at so many keystrokes -- must be "pasting"??),
there are two obvious orientations here: either the thin (preferably)
or the thick rope will be making the immediate *choke* at the
entry of the two ropes into the knot. Again, I say that it should be
the thinner, more flexible one,
AND that (only) its tail should be subsequently tied off in an Overhand
around the thicker rope's tail, to preclude loosening under load.

> ... , did a few simulated abseil 'bounces'.
> Note that in this configuration the knot is subject to my full 80kG weight.
> not half my weight as it would be in an abseil set up.

Also, with a pretty short bit of material in load, to mitigate your bouncing!
With the usual increasingly long bit of doubled material between you and
the rap anchor, there will be much more material to mitigate shock.

> Observing the knot, as it was loaded, it made half a turn
> - tightening as it did so - and was then solid from thereon in.
> This used maybe 1/2" of the available 12" of tail.

Not sure of what you mean by "half a turn": at first I mis-read ' 1/2" ' as being
"1/2 OF... (12" = 6" consumed!)). But if at most an inch was consumed of
the tail, then you couldn't have rolled the knot.

I didn't take the added keystrokes ("pasting") above to further note that
the ORB can be set in a range of orientation --direction the tails point--
of about 180degrees. That is, if the ORB were tied in ropes stretched
left-to-right across a desk top at which you are seated, say, you could
reach out with a hand and rotate the knot (turning it clockwise/anti-clockwise
as viewed looking down upon the desktop) to various positions and it will
stay there when loaded. How much this aspect of orientation matters is
something I've yet to test. (At one extreme, the rope from the left will
be entering the knot and making a backward loop, and the other rope
a forward arch; in the mid-range position both ropes will rise abutting,
and arc perpendicularly from the axis of tension, and then turn ... ; and
then the opposite extreme of the range will see the left rope making the
forward arc to the right rope's backward loop.)

> This experiment further reassures me (personally) that using an
> overhand knot to tie abseil ropes of slightly different diameters
> is a perfectly valid thing to do.

Yes, it's reassuring: for you've gone some way out of bounds of what
is normally asked -- i.e. using greater difference than usual, where "usual"
means 7mm + 10mm and sometimes less difference. And your bouncing
is probably more rigorous loading than usual rapping will deliver.
But, still, realize that the possible combinations of ropes is broad,
and the relevant aspects are more than just diameters.
(And, again, that you've not made clear the orientation vis-a-vis
thick/thin in tying the knot.)

THIS, and adding the Overhand stopper tie-off should put the ORB into
sound acceptance.

*kN*

jon 17 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:

Oh no! NURSE, give him his pills NOW.
 liz j 17 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:
Mate, you seriously need to get out more....climbing maybe???
 liz j 17 Jun 2009
In reply to jon:
>
> Oh no! NURSE, give him his pills NOW.

I think she already did, the wrong ones
 jon 17 Jun 2009
In reply to liz j:

No No, don't let him climb...
 liz j 17 Jun 2009
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to liz j)
>
> No No, don't let him climb...

I really don't think he'd get of the ground, it would be dark by the time his fig8 tie in was perfectly orientated, and his mates would be in the pub already!!!!
 GrahamD 18 Jun 2009
In reply to knudeNoggin:

1/2" meaning half an inch - sorry if that wasn't clear. The knot basically settled into a stable position after loading and its hard to describe what happened to the knot other than to describe it as rolling half a turn. I guess it was just finding its most stable orientation ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...