UKC

Citybloc or The Depot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke01 17 Jul 2009
Which is better? I'm in Leeds for the weekend, they look like pretty much the same thing. Is there much between them?
 richardh 17 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:

if you're only up the once, go to the depot, no choice really.
if you live here, well worth alternating between the two for a good range.
 Sam_in_Leeds 17 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:

Guess perhaps it would depend on where you're staying?

City-Bloc is pretty handy from Leeds City Centre where as The Depot is out in the 'hood (Pudsey) about 5miles west.
GeoffF 17 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict: They are both very good and the same price. Go to whichever is easiest.
 UKB Shark 17 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:

Nah - DHL everytime
OP Luke01 18 Jul 2009
Thanks for the replies, think I'll go and crank it in the hood.
 Sam_in_Leeds 18 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:

Watch out for the drive-by shootings and the crack hoes tho.

I only just made it out after 15years living in the Ghetto that is Pudders...
 Oliver Wright 20 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:

So did you go?

I'm hoping that by having more walls in Leeds the "Vegas Effect" comes into play and that Leeds becomes a more popular climbing destination.

Cheers Ol @ The Depot
In reply to Oliver Wright:
I went! Leeds Wall Tuesday to play on the lovely new steep LHS cave wall and Thursday at the Depot, deconstructing my shoulders on the roof problems. Agree with the Vegas Effect - the shirt was soon off my back. I'll get my coat.
 Maestro 23 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict: The depot is much better and much more friendly and clean. I wont be going back to the bloc.
 Jon Stewart 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Maestro: I have been to both once as a visitor to Leeds, and thought that the problems at Citybloc were ace, whereas at the Depot I thought really mediocre. I know it shouldn't really matter, but grading everything (at the Depot) at least 2 grades over (V6=V4 at a push, and nowhere near as hard as climbing a stiff V2 on grit) pissed me off a bit. I thought the atmos at both was friendly.
 climbingpixie 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The Depot was hugely overgraded at first but it seems to have normalised now, much to the disappointment of my ego which was getting quite accustomed to flashing 'V5-6' problems...

Maestro - It's your loss. Personally I prefer the Depot as a centre but the problems at City Bloc are superb, definitely the best in Leeds, and worth the dingy building and manky bogs. I tend to split my time equally between them as they're the same price and about the same distance from my house. The odd trip to Leeds Wall gets thrown in too on those days when I want a cheaper session but it's usually too busy to be much good as a training venue.
 grubes 24 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict:
As I live in huddersfield I mainly go to the huddersfield wall when I am going indoors.
I have been to city bloc about 6-10 times I have only been to the depot twice.
The problems at city bloc seem alot more varied.
Personally I would choose city bloc every time out of those two.
GeoffF 24 Jul 2009
In reply to grit-addict: I have found the easier problems to have been more varied creative and memorable at CityBloc, but that is a volatile advantage. Its hard to keep setting new challenges without making them harder. The "Intermeasies" at CityBloc do seem to have got harder this time around, whereas the Blues at the Depot seem to have got less hard.

There has been a lot of chalk on the mats at CityBloc, but it was not as bad the last time I visited.

I try to spit my time 50 : 50 between the two venues - they are both excellent.
 brieflyback 24 Jul 2009
In reply to GeoffF:

Can't find entry prices on the Depot site. I'm obviously being webthick, as they must be there somewhere.
 MeMeMe 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Martin76:

I couldn't find them either.

I think it's 6.50 (plus some kind of joining fee).
 brieflyback 24 Jul 2009
In reply to MeMeMe:

Cheers. They should put it on the site, as I'm heading out in a bit and might be tempted to pass by for a quick session. And I'm very price-sensitive!

Also, is it just a flat £5 rate off-peak at City Bloc, regardless of membership or non-membership?

crossy 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Martin76:

The prices for the depot are:

Membership £3.50

Peak adult member entry £6.50
Off-peak adult member entry £5.00

Peak adult non-member entry £7.50
Off-peak adult non-member £6.00

Off-peak is monday to friday 10-4pm

You dont have to buy membership either

Hope that helps

Crossy
 brieflyback 24 Jul 2009
In reply to crossy:

Thanks. That's helpful.
 MeMeMe 24 Jul 2009
In reply to crossy:

How much for a whole year?
Can you pay monthly?

How come all this isn't on the website?!
Or is it but we just can't find it?
 crossy 24 Jul 2009
In reply to MeMeMe:

I think its £300 for the year and apparently you can pay monthly and its cheaper for students.

Not sure on the website never looked

Crossy
 MeMeMe 24 Jul 2009
In reply to crossy:

Cheers.

The only bad thing about these new walls opening in Leeds is that I find I end up going indoor climbing more often and it ends up being expensive.

Shame there isn't a yearly pass that lets you access all three, I mean I can only go to one at any one time anyway.
 Dave Musgrove 24 Jul 2009
In reply to MeMeMe:
> (In reply to crossy)
>
> Cheers.
>
> The only bad thing about these new walls opening in Leeds is that I find I end up going indoor climbing more often and it ends up being expensive.
>
>Go out to the crag then! its as easy to get to Caley from most areas of Leeds as it is to each of the Walls . Its much cheaper at this time of year and no joining fee.

Dave

MeMeMe 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

I do but being Leeds it's wet quite often!

Almscliff dries quickly but my enthusiasm for it diminishes somewhat if I go there too often.

brieflyback 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
> [...]
> >Go out to the crag then! its as easy to get to Caley from most areas of Leeds as it is to each of the Walls . Its much cheaper at this time of year and no joining fee.
>
> Dave

You have to buy this terribly expensive book though. Not sure it's good value...
 Dave Musgrove 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Martin76:

But it lasts longer than an annual subscription to a wall - and it could become a much sought after literary masterpiece in years to come!

Dave
GeoffF 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Martin76: I pay £5 off peak at City Bloc and have not paid for membership, whereas I had to pay for membership to get the same rate at the Depot.
 racodemisa 25 Jul 2009
In reply to Oliver Wright: Am hoping on a relocation back to the N(pref.Pudsey) very soon!
 snoop6060 25 Jul 2009
In reply to witnessthis:

Anyone know when the Depot is opening the training room at the back? I had a look at the board they have built, and it looks fierce! You will get super strong on that.

The board at city bloc is good also, but the campus board is shit, and at the wrong angle. They should put some rings up as well, or rock rings on long cord so you can do a core workout.

Basically, we have 3 walls in Leeds and only 1 bloody campus board, and its built wrong. (You scrape your knees on it on the way up, needs to be steeper). What's the deal with that?

There still really isn't anywhere to train properly in Leeds across 3 walls. Bizarre.
 Oliver Wright 25 Jul 2009
In reply to snoop6060:

We are aiming to have the back section fully open in September. We will have a more solid date very soon.

Next to the training board you have seen (had the Beastmaker boys worked their magic on it when you had seen it?) there are going to a number of different campus boards and training aids. We have got six finger boards and rock rings in the already open front room.

Just about to head in now and take some shots of the new section which is in between the existing wall and the training section. I'll post some pictures later today....

Ol (from the Depot)
 prycey 25 Jul 2009
In reply to Oliver Wright: I am loving having a choice of bouldering venues. I find both venues friendly and they are both making an effort to please the local climbers and that gets my vote too. Now all we need is an alternative to Leeds wall too!
 snoop6060 25 Jul 2009

They had indeed, and it looks sweet. Is it symmetrical? Was blinded by the sheer size of it! Like the idea of being able to do the same problems for right hand and left. No favouratism for my stronger arm.

Oliver Wright 26 Jul 2009
In reply to snoop6060: The holds are a complete mirror image, and the rules on the board are that you can't tick a problem until you have done it both ways!

I've uploaded a pick of the newly built roof (more to come), which is just before the training board, to my flickr account. You can also see a shot of Ned on the training board.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19083292@N00/

Any questions or feedback, let me know.

Ol (from the Depot)
 snoop6060 26 Jul 2009

Bloody nora, that looks massive. Your going to have quite some training facility on your hands when that back room is done.

Is this roof where you will be aiming to set the 'route type' training circuits? Perhaps I might actually be able to tick some of the kinsley classics sooner than I thought.

You still putting Olympic rings up? I love playing on these, no better core work out I can think off. Tho they are nails to actually bust any moves on. Crucifix here we come!

Had a look at the new areas today and was blown away. Do you fancy building one in Liverpool?
 Oliver Wright 27 Jul 2009
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to Oliver Wright)
>
> Bloody nora, that looks massive. Your going to have quite some training facility on your hands when that back room is done.
>
> Is this roof where you will be aiming to set the 'route type' training circuits? Perhaps I might actually be able to tick some of the kinsley classics sooner than I thought.
>
> You still putting Olympic rings up? I love playing on these, no better core work out I can think off. Tho they are nails to actually bust any moves on. Crucifix here we come!

Yes the Olympic rings will be close to the training board and campus boards.

As you can see from the picture link above, the problems over the back section will be long, 20 to 25 moves (the test one is 20) and they will be set in a way which means you can link them. For example you could do a 22 move V4 come down a 18 move V1 which links back to V4, which would be a pretty mean 40 move circuit, there are lots of possibilities and it's all just a matter of changing the setting.

This is the concept, which we will test and then get customer feedback on to check it delivers the right experience. As it is a concept any views or thoughts would appreciated.

Cheers Ol (from the Depot)

A brutal set of snaking tufa pinches linking through the entire length of the roof into a highball rockover akin to Midnight Lightning!
 Pipster 06 Aug 2009

That is a big roof Oli - looking forward to having a play

No-one in Leeds will have an excuse for being unfit!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...