UKC

rockfax guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed morris 19 Aug 2009
hi everybody

just got the new guidebook on pembroke by rockfax. very impressed and inspiring, but why have whole crags been missed out, and routes been missed out on crags that are in there. Is it just to save space?

cheers
Ed
In reply to Ed morris:

I missed this thread.

The guide does what it says - selected buttresses across the Pembrokeshire coast. If we were to include everything with the same degree of coverage then it would be either 6 inches thick, or in half a dozen volumes.

The idea behind selected guides is that they give you the best of what is on offer.

Alan
 Owen W-G 03 Sep 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

I don't know if it is just me being colour blind, but I struggle to see the dotted lines of the routes on the topos in red ink. Anyone else feel my pain?
 jon 03 Sep 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:

Yes absolutely. I mentioned this on a thread sometime ago. I can't see red against grey, whether it's on a page or a red sling on a grey crag. The yellow and orange lines I can see fine.
 Nic 03 Sep 2009
In reply to Ed morris:

>>> why have whole crags been missed out, and routes been missed out on crags that are in there.

This is due to EU Council Directive 2009/113/EC implementing the principle of equal treatment between climbing areas in the access to and supply of routes, combined with EU Council Directive 2008/209/EC on health and safety: some routes have been removed from crags due to over-crowding, and some whole crags have been moved to new areas to ensure a more even distribution - most of them will now be covered in the next edition of Yorkshire Grit...
 GrahamD 03 Sep 2009
In reply to Ed morris:

When it comes out, the CC guide will be the comprehensive guide:

"New guide series comprising five volumes; Pembroke North, Range West, Range East, Stackpole & Lydstep and a Selected Climbs guide featuring the cream of the other four volumes"

http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/ci-guides-in-prep.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...