UKC

Indoor climbing best for the environment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
If we are truly concerned about the environment (I don`t believe that most climbers are) then surely we should be pushing indoor climbing rather than encouraging outdoor climbing,
- less erosion
- reduced transport emisions as walls near population centres - can use public transport etc
 Nic 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks:

Good troll - at least 3/10 for originality. God help you when Al Evans gets here though...
 toad 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks: so long as you don't use concrete in construction. how well will lime render on straw bale hold the bolts?
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to toad:
how well will lime render on straw bale hold the bolts?

- not very well I would imagine

buildings in general aren`t very env friendly but once built, climbing centres would accomodate at lot of people.
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks: Ironically this thread has been moved indoors where it can do less damage!
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Nic: Not a troll actually.
If climbing did become an olympic sport http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=369460

then surely the environmental impact of lots of people suddenly taking it up needs to be considered?
 Morgan Woods 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks:

surely the environmental impact of the twaddle you are spouting should be considered.
 GrahamD 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks:

You probably have a good point about climbers and environmental damage. Whereas we like to talk a good talk (remember Newbury bypass ?) we very rarley forego our sun rock trip or weekends away by car. Hypocrites, the lot of us.
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: Excuse me? In what way is this twaddle?
 Mike Stretford 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks: You are right.... city artificial outdoor climbing might be an idea too.

Cue some rather insulting replies from people who didn't or couldn't read your OP.
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to GrahamD: "we very rarley forego our sun rock trip or weekends away by car. Hypocrites, the lot of us."

My perception is that "Climbers" have for some reason been seen as being "greener" than the average person. Not sure that this reputation is warranted.

Would we get on the bus to our local climbing centre rather than drive for an hour to a crag to reduce our environmental impact? I know I probably wouldn`t.

But where should newcomers to the sport be directed?
In reply to thepeaks:

I think this is an excellent idea. And I hope you manage to persuade everyone to desert the outdoors for the indoors. Thus, leaving nice peaceful crags for meeeeee.

walts4 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Ava Adore:

Could this idea be extended to indooor or dry ski slopes so that I have the slopes to myself this coming winter please?????
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Ava Adre / walts4 Good ideas. Maybe indoor rambling on big conveyor belts with projections of countryside scenes.
GeoffF 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks: It would be easier to provide a convincing virtual reality experience for mountain bikers. The fell runners' version with rocks rushing at you at high speed would be more than a little unnerving.
 silhouette 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks:
> If we are truly concerned about the environment (I don`t believe that most climbers are)

Too right mate. How many guide books do you see that arse themselves to describe how to get to the crag by public transport (apart from the Dorset Rockfax which was written by little me).

lps 26 Aug 2009
In reply to thepeaks:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> My perception is that "Climbers" have for some reason been seen as being "greener" than the average person. Not sure that this reputation is warranted.
>
what gives you this perception? i've always thought of climbers as being ordinary folk that climb after work instead of playing football, snooker, etc. i can't imagine maybe climbers are significantly different at the core to everyone else, i.e. just a bunch of people working 9-5, watching telly and having a hobby.

as for your idea, i live right next to the crags so it's probably not evnironmentally friendly for me to start climbing inside but it is a fantastic idea for everyone that lives in the city.
thepeaks 26 Aug 2009
In reply to Bret (rock god):
"what gives you this perception?" (that "Climbers" have for some reason been seen as being "greener" than the average person)

Now thats an interesting point. Taking part in an outdoor sport would imply some affinity with the natural environment and a desire to protect it. Also, I suppose that when climbers appear in the media on green issues, they appear to be mainly pro - Tree protests , Nelson Column flags etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...