UKC

Flying ticks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 11 Sep 2009
Just had a long jaunt in Moidart today which would have been very enjoyable, except for the vast numbers of very persistent flying tick/spidery things. I told them to stop annoying me, but they didn't listen. I've been bothered by them in the past, but their numbers are just starting to get ridiculous. Anyone know exactly what they are. Would Skin-so-Soft work against them (ie. put them off landing on me)? I assume they're harmless. I googled 'deer tick' and all images were of the usual tick we all hate (much smaller).

Jamie
 Only a hill 11 Sep 2009
In reply to Jamie Hageman:
They were bothering me today as well--'orrible clingy things, rather like flying lice or spiders. They didn't bite me but they did seem to like following me around!
 skog 11 Sep 2009
Deer keds?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_ked

I've never noticed them biting, but apparently they can.
Horrible things. They don't seem to die when hit, either.
 Only a hill 11 Sep 2009
In reply to skog:
That's the badger. Wondered why I found so many of them in my hair. =S
 Only a hill 11 Sep 2009
P.S. Nice day for a walk around Moidart Jamie--had a good day myself on the South Face of A'Chailleach and then an amble over the Aonach Eagach. Days like this really make up for the foul weather we've had in August!
 skog 11 Sep 2009
In reply to Only a hill:
I sometimes find them on me the day after I've been out on the hill - I think they sneak into the car then lurk in it.
I'm sure they're getting more and more common - I can't remember them at all from when I was wee, first became aware of them less than ten years ago, and see lots every year now. At least they're more annoying than troublesome.
OP Jamie Hageman 11 Sep 2009
In reply to Only a hill: Yep, definitely becoming more widespread. It was a good day Alex, muggy though, so I was sweating like a pig. A' Chailleach is good, I remember the scramble looking quite intimidating from below, but once you're on it, it flows quite nicely, as long as the damn deer keds aren't putting you off! Looking forward to Autumn colours now, already changing aren't they. The snow's only 4 weeks away now surely
 joan cooper 11 Sep 2009
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Not snow already please it's only just stopped raining on Skye!!!!!1
 bluebealach 12 Sep 2009
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Up on the Kentmere Round (English Lakes) on Thursday 11/9 and encountered thousands of flying ants over last 5 miles. Anywhere betweem 2,500/500ft, the ground was crawling with them. I have a never encountered such a numbers before - could these be the "flying ticks/spidery things"??
 JCurrie 13 Sep 2009

This solves a ten year mystery! Those things made an otherwise excellent day on the Saddle become very annoying. Never found out what they were, until now.
Thanks,
Jase
Dan Walker 13 Sep 2009
In reply to Jamie Hageman: They were all over us on the walk up to etive slabs a couple of weeks back. 30% DEET seemed to keep them away but it's pretty nasty stuff.
 Sean Bell 14 Sep 2009
> (In reply to Only a hill) Yep, definitely becoming more widespread. It was a good day Alex, muggy though, so I was sweating like a pig. A' Chailleach is good, I remember the scramble looking quite intimidating from below, but once you're on it, it flows quite nicely, as long as the damn deer keds aren't putting you off! Looking forward to Autumn colours now, already changing aren't they. The snow's only 4 weeks away now surely

I hope not!!! Nos now please, the trad season is only just able to begin after all the rain!
 skog 14 Sep 2009
Loads of them on the lower reaches of Garbh Bheinn and Belig on Skye yesterday. Didn't detract from a magnificent day, though - at the edge of an inversion, with crystal clear views over the isles. Autumn at its best.
OK, that'll do me for 'summer' - roll on the frosts and snows, not least because they'll kill off the biting insects!
 JohnnyW 14 Sep 2009

Yep, they is Deer Keds awright.........and like one of the posters, had a nightmare with them coming off the Forcan Ridge. Other bad place was Conival, or more specifically the walk in up the shady glen - The wee b's come out of the dwarf trees. If you're hairy, like me, they get everywhere, and try to set up camp. They drop their wings then settle down for a feed. Though they don't bite quickly, if they do bite, it's nasty. One bit me on the scalp, and I had a huge welt, itchy as f***.
 JohnnyW 14 Sep 2009

Yep, Deer Keds.
Had a horrible day descending off the Forcan Ridge - the buggers live in the scrub and trees near the burn. Ditto waling in to Conival.

They do bite if they get the time. They love you if you're hairy like me and they get the time to settle down, shed their wings and tuck in! I once got bit on the scalp. Huge itchy welt for weeks.

Hate 'em. Ugh
 brieflyback 14 Sep 2009
In reply to skog:

Aha! That solves the mystery of what got onto my clothes during a thrash through the bracken on the way from one of the more remote grit crags the other week.

Little bugger refused to die, despite quite frenzied squashing attempts, and jumped straight back on the moment I flicked it away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...