UKC

Gritstone compass points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Oct 2009
I'm bored with CAD...

So,

Most northerly, easterly, southerly and westerly gritstone grags in the Peaks?

And for the bonus ball - Most centrally located.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed User:

...."grags" and "Peaks" - very shoddy!

Chris
Removed User 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: Just fishing for Al. Anyway, where are your answers!
 Liam M 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed User: Most Northerly must go to Shooters Nab - right on the border of the PDNP at about the furthest the North the park extends.

Good question actually, do you mean within the Peak Park boundary? (Just stalling whilst I do a bit of checking!).

Chris
Removed User 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: Yes I do. I think Shooters is correct for the north.

Gradbach Hill, Harston Rock and Burbage (or the Ox Stones if you include bloders)?

Chris
 Al Evans 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed User: Incidently, do you know where the centre of the Dark Peak is? Well according to the OS map that is. We (Dark Peak Fell Runners) once had a race from every corner of the map to it's centre. Our leg was from just outside Whaley Bridge (we won) and when we got to the centre, Will McLewin (of 4000mt peaks fame) was building the biggest cairn the Peak has ever seen.
For what its worth it's about 200mts above the Snake road below Snake summit above Doctors Gate culvert (not Doctors Gate).
 Moacs 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Rivelin is further East than Burbage.

Shooters Nab must be the North point.

Dunno about South. Some conglomerate mess down near Bakewell?

J
 Moacs 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Moacs:

Bosley Cloud for west?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed User: Cratcliffe for south?
 gethin_allen 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Moacs:
bell hag or rivelin quarry are further east than rivelin edge. what about wharncliffe side for most northerly?
 Dave Garnett 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Moacs:
> (In reply to Moacs)
>
> Bosley Cloud for west?

Outside the Peak Park (otherwise we could have Mow Cop which is even further west). I think it could be the Hangingstone.
In reply to gethin_allen:

All three outside the Park boundary.

Chris
 Dave Garnett 05 Oct 2009
> (In reply to John Lisle)
> bell hag or rivelin quarry are further east than rivelin edge.

Are they in the PDNA? It could be Gardom's.

gethin_allen 05 Oct 2009
i did wonder but wasn't sure of the defined boundaries of either the OP or the national park.
 Fredt 05 Oct 2009

Don't think Harston Rock is in the Peak Park. I'd have thought Hen Cloud most southerly.

Using a map might be a good idea - though non of these are definitive):

Northerly: Shooters' Nab - looks like the boundary runs along the eastern edge of the cliff

Easterly: Rivelin/Birchen "(both on 280)

Southerly: Hen Cloud (Black Rocks are further south but outside the PP)

Westerly: maybe Windgather, though Bollington is a good bit further west.

Further thoughts???

Chris
 Bulls Crack 05 Oct 2009
> (In reply to gethin_allen)
>
> All three outside the Park boundary.
>
>
> Chris

Which doesn't define the Peak surely?
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Well if you don't use the Park boundary what do you use? Is Rivelin in or out? What about Wharncliffe? "I have no answers only questions".

Chis

craig h 05 Oct 2009

Grit's grit, why just keep it to the the PsDNP?

Northern edge of the PDNP is Shooters Nab, but that's mid-Yorkshire Grit, is Stanage the most Southern Yorkshire gritstone crag?
Removed User 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: Of course it's the Park boundary anything else isn't definitive enough.

Gradston Hill is a venue I've never heard of.

What about nearest the centre? Al has defined centre of the dark peak, but I'm talking the whole of the Peaks here...
 Yanis Nayu 05 Oct 2009
In reply to craig h: Stanage is in Derbyshire - Burbage is in Yorkshire though.
Kipper 05 Oct 2009
>
> Gradston Hill is a venue I've never heard of.
>

Perhaps because it's called Gradbach
 Dave Garnett 06 Oct 2009

I'm only looking at this fairly crude online map:

http://www.peakdistrict.org/index/maps/pdmap.htm

but I still think the Hangingstone (near Wincle) is further west than Windgather.

It looks pretty close between Hen Cloud and Robin Hood's Stride on here, but presumably you have a definite OS map handy, so which is it?
 Marek 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> I'm only looking at this fairly crude online map:
>
> http://www.peakdistrict.org/index/maps/pdmap.htm
>
> but I still think the Hangingstone (near Wincle) is further west than Windgather.

Yes, by about 2km.

>
> It looks pretty close between Hen Cloud and Robin Hood's Stride on here, but presumably you have a definite OS map handy, so which is it?

Hen Cloud by a just few metres from Harthill Quarry (near RHS)... but only based on grid references. By lat/long it could be different! Or are we talking relative to magnetic poles? It's that close.

Al Evans 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Moacs:
>
> Rivelin is further East than Burbage.

I think Bell Hagg and Stannington Ruffs are both east of Rivelin. Not got a map in front of mne at the moment though.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2009
> (In reply to John Lisle)
> bell hag or rivelin quarry are further east than rivelin edge. what about wharncliffe side for most northerly?

Sorry Gethin, hadn't read your post.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2009
In reply to craig h:
>
> Grit's grit, why just keep it to the the PsDNP?
>
> Northern edge of the PDNP is Shooters Nab, but that's mid-Yorkshire Grit, is Stanage the most Southern Yorkshire gritstone crag?

As it's the border I suspect it must be.
 Marek 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Marek:
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
> [...]
>
> Yes, by about 2km.
>
> [...]
>
> Hen Cloud by a just few metres from Harthill Quarry (near RHS)... but only based on grid references. By lat/long it could be different! Or are we talking relative to magnetic poles? It's that close.

Hmm. The southernmost extent of Harthill appears further south than the southernmost extent of Hen Cloud by about 3 seconds (~100 feet).
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> As it's the border I suspect it must be.

Nope - The Burbage Valley and Millstone are in South Yorks. The border follows the road around Surprise View; Lawrencefield is in Derbyshire.
 robert-hutton 06 Oct 2009
In reply to deepsoup: I think the Derbyshire border is from Ringinglow over to Owler bar
 Offwidth 06 Oct 2009

I'd have thought Shooters, Harland Edge, Harthill (just beating Hen Cloud), One of the Bollington quarries.
 Offwidth 06 Oct 2009

Forgot the centre...hard to define but Eastern Combs must be a good bet.
 Offwidth 06 Oct 2009

Just thought what a wonderfully obscure combination that is. Anyone climbed at all 5 venues I mentioned (Ive done 4: all but the Bollington Quarries)
 Marek 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Hardonicus)
>
> I'd have thought Shooters, Harland Edge, Harthill (just beating Hen Cloud), One of the Bollington quarries.

Bollington quarries (like Tegg's Nose) are outside the NP. I assumed that was the OP's "boundary condition"?

Tom Valentine 06 Oct 2009

Highest?
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2009
In reply to robert-hutton:
> (In reply to deepsoup) I think the Derbyshire border is from Ringinglow over to Owler bar

Nope, but the border of the PDNP is, more or less.
John Bradley (Bradders) 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Removed User: Don't forget black rocks, and of course Great Crack at Whatstandwell,,,one of the best kept secrets of the peak.

There is of course a very famous outcrop/torr in Nottingham. Not Gritstone but a very hard sandstone I believe. The Hemlock Stone in Bramcote features, with a photo in the first Climbers Club Journal in an article entitled something like "Rock Climbs in the Southern Peak"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...