UKC

la sportiva - marketing mistake?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dom Whillans 06 Oct 2009
this is not about the gear itself, which i'm guessing is probably a top bit of kit; so i haven't posted this in the gear forum.

I've just noticed a banner ad (see, they do work) for sportiva's Miura VS - whilst this combo of letters might mean little in most of their markets, what does that say to you?

a) that the shoes will only be good for climbing VS (or thereabouts) routes?
b) that bimblies are attracted to and buy hi-tech shoes even though we don't need them? (i wore my old sportiva megas on lots of VSs even though they were a top-end shoe worn by the likes of Stefan Glowacz)
c) I'm reading too much into this...
d) other.
 TobyA 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Dom Whillans: I have wondered what the VS stands for, "velcros" presumably but the S is a bit confusing.

Perhaps it means that you're not allowed to use them on anything easier than VS because, frankly, that would just be embarrassing to all concerned.

I'm reviewing some Sportiva Cliffs for UKC at the moment, and gear editor Kevin is doing the Miura VSs. I'm going to have some comments on their name, I wonder if Kevin will?
 David Peters 06 Oct 2009
In reply to TobyA: I have a vague memory that they used to be called Miura VCS which stood for Velcro Closure System - but I may be wrong
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Dom Whillans: I pick C.
 richprideaux 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Dom Whillans:

D.

What's wrong with being a bimbly? Or does climbing higher grades make you a better human being?
 JDDD 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Dom Whillans: I think C. Surely the point of marketting is to grab your attention and make you want to buy that product?
 TobyA 06 Oct 2009
In reply to shingsowa:
> Or does climbing higher grades make you a better human being?

Are you suggesting it doesn't! <shock/horror>

richprideaux 06 Oct 2009
In reply to TobyA:

Some examples would suggest the opposite! :-p
 A Crook 08 Oct 2009

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...