UKC

who owns the top of classic routes at Baildon Bank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wilde 12 Oct 2009
At the top of Hades and Epitaph is a metal fence, seeming to denote the end of a garden. On trying to clear the area round the trees of thorns, to enable more pleasant access to the top of the area if required I was told from the other side of the fence by the woman in her garden that a/ she was not happy with what I was doing and b/ I was standing on her property and she would call the police if I did not leave.

There was then various complaints about climbers tying to her fence and swearing with children in the garden etc etc etc. Anyway, no mention of access problems in the guidebook does anyone know the truth.

KeithW 12 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde:

A few years ago one of the home owners there was a colleague of mine. He was generally climber friendly, but irritated by individuals tying onto his fence & shouting outside his windows.
Both entirely reasonable complaints, and I make sure when we're there that we respect the neighbours.
Yorkspud 12 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde:

Baildon Bank is Urban Common but not sure who owns it- maybe Bradford Council who do manage it for various things - rights of way, some conservation work 9asite of Local Conservation Importance). It's unlikley to be that lady anyway!
 Mick Ward 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to wilde)
>
> It's unlikley to be that lady anyway!

But no harm in being nice to her.

Mick (fond memories of Baildon)

sandy 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Yorkspud: Well she main own the bit of land being talked about here. The land in question is on the other side of a fence that is on the edge of her garden (correct?). It is not unusual to have a fence that is set in from the actual edge of boundary of your property (particularly if the edge of your property is a rather steep drop!). So in this case she may well own the land... I assume her deeds will give the detail of what she owns. Is it possible to access deeds at all?

Andy (who "owns" a chunk of land the other side of his garden wall and who has to cut back the spiky collection of plants on it from time to time...).
Yorkspud 12 Oct 2009
In reply to sandy:

There's also a right of way there?
Yorkspud 12 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde:

Juast realised - this is a trick question. Is the answer no-one?
 Chris F 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to wilde)
>
> Juast realised - this is a trick question. Is the answer no-one?

I think it is a trick question because there are no classic routes there

JMarkW 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris F:

Usually someone owns the actual boundary though and its this party that is responsible for the fencing etc.

Land registry?
 Dave Warburton 12 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde: I imagine they get a lot of hassel from Youths and such so I suppose a nice manner and calm response could settle alot of disagreements.
Use your trad experience to ascertain another belay and its hardly the worlds most innaccesible crag, so huge shouts of 'SAFE!' are hardly nessisary.

(was there the other day and can understand the situation)
 Bulls Crack 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Yorkspud)
> [...]
>
> I think it is a trick question because there are no classic routes there

precisely - hence yorkspuds answer

but wrong really
 Chris F 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Bulls Crack: If it was, it was badly put.

Have had some good days there in the past.
 Wotcha 13 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde: Hmmmm, having climbed there I think that the woman may be irritated by two probably separate things.
a) Climbers (ok) coming up on the other side of her fence (whether she owns it or not).
b) Yobs. I have been affected by yobs around that area. They can be noisy and looking for trouble. On one occasion, yobs were lobbing sticks etc at me whilst I was belaying my mate at a crux.

Just to mention, it is my understanding that the Police probably wouldn't get involved if you are not causing any nuisance as isn't trespass a civil and not criminal offence? Theoretically, the woman would have to sue you for damages if she indeed did own the property.

Hmmmm, she obviously seems disturbed. Under those circumstances, is it not possible to engage the woman on a friendly basis to understand her perspective a bit more and possibly try to allay her fears?

Next time, I go climbing there, I'll try a friendly approach and see what happens but perhaps you might be right a friendly visit from the BMC might be in order?
 Wotcha 13 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde: In a previous thread, I offered to help clean up Baildon Bank (Yobs included). I didn't guess that I'd have to deal with irate homeowners as well.

DeeCee 16 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde:

Hi

Following a complaint this is now being dealt with by the BMC, the Yorkshire Area & Bradford Council.

The lady in question says that the land at the top of these climbs is her property and so pending further investigation and guidance from the BMC it would be helpful if we could all take particular care while in this area so as not to exacerbate the situation.

Deirdre
Yorkshire Area Secretary
In reply to DeeCee:

This is not a new issue- posted on the logbook for Hades:

Hidden - Lead O/S - 25/Jun/08

Watch out for the stroppy lady at the top. According to the mouthful I got, the fence cost thousands and isn't owned by the council!! She wanted me to remove the slings that the belay and next climber was connected to!! Give her her due, someone had broken one of the flimsy uprights.
In reply to Richard Gilbert:

BTW I wasn't implying that I wrote that.
wilde 23 Oct 2009
In reply to Wotcha:

Thank you for the advice, I can understand the point of the complaint about damage to fence post which I also had pointed out to me on this occasion.

However I just cant see why anyone would belay to a fence when there are perfectly good trees. What was of more concern to me was that I was not tied to the fence, simply a tree and tidying some branches.

Having been at a BMC meeting where a clean up was approved in principle I dont see that there should be any problem especially since I wasnt shouting or swearing and the majority of noise was coming from the dogs.

DeeCee 23 Oct 2009
In reply to wilde:

Hi

When the Baildon Bank clean up was agreed at the Area Meeting it was envisaged that it would be done in conjuction with Area and Bradford Council and not in isolation.

The land and trees etc at the top of the crag belong to the householders and so it is quite reasonable for them to want to be asked if anyone wants to prune them etc.

A meeting has now been arranged between the BMC, Bradford Council and the householders to try and resolve the complaint and associated issues.

Deirdre
BMC Yorkshire Area Secretary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...