UKC

Tendon Nutrition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crozzly 26 Nov 2009
Anyone know if there are there any particular food groups that will aid tendon recovery/development (same as protein is good for muscle recovery)after hard bouldering training ? Do proteins have the same function for tendons as they do for muscles ?

Cheers

PS Quite happy with muscle recovery etc - specific to tendon nutrition please.
pugsley 26 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:
Glucosamine
fish oils
berries loganberries blueberries black berries etc
 abarro81 26 Nov 2009
In reply to pugsley:
Is there any evidence of glucosamine linked to tendons? I've only seen anything linking it to cartilage...
Daithi O Murchu 26 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:

after eight mints
 UKB Shark 26 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:

Not really what you asked but being well hydrated is meant to be important in helping prevent tendon injury.
 lost1977 27 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:

Cissus quadrangularis
 fishy1 27 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123: I'm just hypothesising, but maybe tendons?

Not human ones obviously.
 Wee Davie 27 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:

Lagers over 5% are said to be good for this type of injury.
 duncan 27 Nov 2009
In reply to Krabi123:

> Glucosamine
Not even the manufacturers claim it helps tendons

> fish oils
Ditto

> berries loganberries blueberries black berries etc
Why?

> Cissus quadrangularis
A couple of doubtful studies on rat bone healing published in the 1970s does not constitute evidence.

> Lager and after-dinner mints
I recommend beer and mints. They will do you as much good as any of the above and have the added bonus of tasting good.
 Zygoticgema 27 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123: Blood supply will dictate the health of your tendons. Same with Muscles and ligaments. That's why it takes less time for a muscle to get better after an injury than tendons as there is a better supply of blood to your muscles than the tendons.

Eat a healthy balanced diet which will give your muscles all the nutrition they need and make sure to either massage the tendons (forcing blood & nutrients within the blood into the area) or use cold and heat treatments on the area (increases blood flow).
 lost1977 27 Nov 2009
In reply to duncan:

> A couple of doubtful studies on rat bone healing published in the 1970s does not constitute evidence.
>

never said there was any evidence but cissus has been used for a long time for tendon injuries and is not expensive so worth a try, i know more than a few people who have had benefits from it when nothing else has worked
Camdaz 27 Nov 2009
In reply to lost1977: cissus??? tell me more.
 Cliff Hanger 27 Nov 2009
In reply to duncan: > Lager and after-dinner mints
I recommend beer and mints. They will do you as much good as any of the above and have the added bonus of tasting good.

Beer & mints? you'll be recommending kendal mint cake next!

Based on absolutely no science what so ever I reckon if you want to build muscle eat muscle if you want to build tendon eat wibbly bits, stick with the beer to wash it down and you can use your ice axe to pick your teeth. yum!
Locus 30 Nov 2009
In reply to krabi123:
You could try supplementing glycine (as from memory I think about a third of your tendons are made of glycine), don't expect any miracles though, as has been mentioned, tendons are avascular tissue and adapt very slowly*, so you'll need to take it for a long time, and the only thing you might notice is not having a connective tissue injury over that period, which may or may not be down to the glycine.

Glucosamine wont help your tendons by the way, glucosamine works with a different type of collagen to the type in your tendons.

If you take Cissus, good luck, because it reaallly tastes foul, and I mean foul. It's also an analgesic, which is worth remembering.

*Throwing in a week of rest every so often might be the best thing for you tendons/connective tissue.
Locus 30 Nov 2009
In reply to duncan:
>> berries loganberries blueberries black berries etc
>Why?

Probably because they're high in vitamin C.
 pdufus 30 Nov 2009
In reply to fishy1:
> (In reply to krabi123) I'm just hypothesising, but maybe tendons?
>
> Not human ones obviously.

Know any good recipies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...