UKC

Is a 25m rope long enough for Westway?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Bright 06 Dec 2009
I have a 50m bog standard single rope and I'm thinking of chopping it in half for a friend and me to use and abuse indoors, mainly Westway. Is 25m enough for the lead routes or would I be left dangling?

Cheers
 IainMunro 06 Dec 2009
In reply to edfeldman:

Why not just "use and abuse" the full 50m?!

Iain
 thin bob 06 Dec 2009
In reply to edfeldman: they vary...not very helpful ,but it's true.. Best thing would
Be to go down & try a few. You might decide the longer routes can wait a while & you might have got a new rope by then!
In reply to edfeldman: Measure it your self perhaps? Next time you climb mark how much rope you need and if its less than half the rope your ok, if not and still decide to cut it make sure you have at least a few extra meters on the end!
 Morgan Woods 06 Dec 2009
In reply to edfeldman:

the westway comp wall is the longest/steepest and i use a 30m rope there with about 2m to spare so you might just get by on there (7a min so not sure if you would suit you)....all the other westway walls are slightly shorter (or at least don't overhang as much) so you should be ok with a 25m rope.
OP Ed Bright 06 Dec 2009
In reply to IainMunro:

The plan is to not use a cumbersome 50m coil and also to make a few bob by selling half to a friend!
 Mark Stevenson 06 Dec 2009
In reply to edfeldman: It's several years since I climbed at the Westway regularly but I think so.

One of my regular partners from that time, cut a 50 rope in half to have one in London and one in the Peak. I distinctly remember climbing with one of the 25m ropes at Curbar so assume we must have used the other half at the Westway.

Best to double check, but it's an excellent idea in principle.
In reply to edfeldman:

I cut my old 50m in half a year ago and use a 25m length for climbing at the WW every week. No dangling so far!
 Ramon Marin 07 Dec 2009
In reply to edfeldman:

Yes 25mts it's fine. In the comp wall you have about 4mts left when your partner is down
 Stuart Wildman 07 Dec 2009
In reply to ramon marin martinez:
Wow I didn't realise it was that short.

Awesome Walls in Stockport has the 'Tall Wall' at 23.5 metres
MCC in Manchester the Lead Wall is 20 meters.

(us northern's like to brag about size.)

Which wall is the comp wall? I though the overhanging wall opposite the bouldering was higher, than 10 meters... or at least feels it, at the end of the day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...