UKC

topo for Little Almscliff?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 13 Dec 2009
hello

I've just googled, looked at YorkshireGrit.com and looked on here, and nothing's come up - does a topo for Little Almscliff exist?

ta
Clare
 NorthernRock 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Do you mean Low Man?
OP Tall Clare 13 Dec 2009
In reply to NorthernRock:

no - there are some rocks marked on the OS map as 'Little Almscliff', just north of Leathley, a good couple of miles from Almscliff itself (about 300m west of the Stainburn(?) Forest car park to be precise) . The rock looks pretty polished in places, but it looks like there are a few problems on them.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Grid reference SE 232 522
Yrmenlaf 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've been there: its a nice little venue, IIRC

But that was back in the days before bouldering guides and things.

Y.
 NorthernRock 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Found it after a bit of searching. I know nowt, obviously, will have a look sometime this week if I get the chance.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

It was just idle curiosity really, as we walked past it today.

No worries, it was just an idle musing.
In reply to Keeg:

Hunter's Stones are on the other side of the plantation, and I might be wrong but I don't *think* it's the Norwood one, as the photos of that suggest the ground drops away more steeply than it did at the boulders we looked at today.
 Lemony 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Keeg: Neither, it's another crag close by. I assume it was popul;ar once as it's surprisingly polished in places.

I'm sure I've seen a topo at some point but unfortunately I can't find it just at the sec. I'll keep looking.
Yrmenlaf 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

In fact, I further recall the same walk that took us past little Almscliff also took us to a trig point perched on a boulder.

I don't know which one (I would guess the one in the woods W of Little Almscliff - point 291), but I don't think there's a harder summit to attain in Yorkshire.

Y.
 NorthernRock 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Keeg:

I saw all the boulders noted in the woods on the OS, and thought they might be worth a look when out with the dog. I think these may be them.
 Keeg 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
In that case I fear I can be of no further help in your quest other than to wish you well with the hunt that awaits...

the ones I'm referring to aren't in the woods; they're on open grassland next to the woods.
In reply to Keeg:

No problem, and thanks for the topos - I was also wondering about the place with the trig point, that turns out to be Hunter's Stones.
Yrmenlaf 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well, this is my trig point!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=385166&new=5569910#x5569910

But Clare is correct: neither is Little Almscliff

Y.
 Mattyk 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: its not norwood or hunter stones but mentioned in yorkshire grit guide.. no topo to my knowledge.
Have climbed there - alright for passing trip but thats it really.
 johnwright 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Keeg:Hunters
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> Is it this:
> http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/hunters.html
> Or this:
> http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/norwood.html

Isn't there also Snowden crags just NW of Hunters stones, they are both on Yorkshiregrit site.
 Mattyk 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: hunters and norwood get a topo on theleedswall site or is it yorkshiregrit??? somewhere anyway.
In reply to Mattyk:

I flicked through the Yorkshire Grit bouldering guide (the first Rockfax one) but didn't think to look at Yorkshire Grit itself - d'oh. Yeah, definitely not a place to journey out of one's way for, but there's some pleasant wandering/running terrain round there...
In reply to Mattyk:

yep - they've just been linked above!
 jkarran 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Keeg:

I was perplexed by the mention of polish! Norwood is rough-as and Hunters certainly didn't look well used.

jk
 Mattyk 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: In esoterica section obviously!! if you want some good esoteric try Beamsley beacon - good value!!
 pdufus 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Sometimes have to pass that way so have taken my shoes a few times. Can usually find something to do for 20 mins or so. Never found a topo, I just make it up as I go along. The far side from the road has some obvious problems and good for a traverse or two. None of it is polished. I've never even seen chalk on it.
In reply to jkarran:

Little Almscliff is this lump: http://www.walkingenglishman.com/leedsharrogate/04almscliff/almscliff2.jpg

It gets a brief mention in the Connoisseur Crags section of the YG routes guide, which is about as much as it deserves really- there's not a lot there!
In reply to pdufus:

There was definite polish on footholds and a big bowl handhold on one of the corners furthest away from the road... The boulders themselves are rough as - moorland grit rather than the finer grit that seems more prevalent at the likes of Brimham - but there was definitely polish.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2009
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Ah so not Hunter's or Norwood. I was just talking about these this evening but was a little confused, as I remember it YG describes Little Almscliff in a farmland setting but I've never been.

jk
In reply to jkarran:

That'll be Control Freak you were talking to...?
 pdufus 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Been a few years since I last tried to climb there. People seem to like scrambling about on the rocks there so makes sense there will be some wear.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Good guess. Sounds like you had a nice day.
jk
In reply to jkarran:

A proper lovely winter day for a stroll! (I even found scabby caravans to photograph but that's another story). I'd not really ever been exploring round there, only passing on my way to 'bigger' crags' or to visit people, so it was nice to find somewhere new to wander, with the bonus of finding some rock I'd not known was there.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

That scabby caravans thing is just odd
jk
 pdufus 13 Dec 2009
In reply to jkarran: There's some really scabby caravans at the bottom of Beeston Tor in a farmers yard. Thick with a green crust they are.
In reply to pdufus:

*really*?

oo.

I might have to investigate!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...