UKC

Snowshoe boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 18 Dec 2009
So I'm going snowshoeing in Jan. I always figured I'd use my Mantas as the winter boot of choice. However I've just read that if my snowboard boots fit I could use those. I'm liking this idea, they're comfy and warm and snow is cold!!!

Would I look a fool turning up with big white snowboard boots??
 Chris F 18 Dec 2009
In reply to ligemidio: No, lots of snowboarders use snowshoes for approaches, I've done it a few times. Depends on the binding setup on the snowshoes though, some don't copy with big volume boots very well.
interdit 18 Dec 2009
In reply to ligemidio:

i'll echo exactly what chris said, but ask you further questions....

where are you snowshoeing? are you snowshoeing just for the experience or is there a further objective?

are you snowshoeing in technical terrain?
do your crampons fit your board boots?

make sure everything is adjusted and fits before venturing out.

i see snowshoes as a tool to travel though the mountains in deep snow when for various reasons the skis aren't suitable, and so match my boots to the final objective - they all (including mantas & cumbres) seem to work reasonably well with the snowshoes.
 Chris F 18 Dec 2009
In reply to interdit: I've seen people in all manner of footwear, from trainers to Ugg boots!

A pair of ski poles (telescopic if you are gong to have to carry them) are useful if you are going to be in tricky terrain, or it is your first time).
Bingers 18 Dec 2009
In reply to ligemidio:

I've used both my winter boots and summer boots with my racquettes, but haven't yet tried trainers or sandals.
interdit 18 Dec 2009
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to interdit) I've seen people in all manner of footwear, from trainers to Ugg boots!

aye, they work with most shoes*.

the only thing for the OP to be aware of is that you can get the same problems as with crampons - soft shoes or boots can mean the foot gets a bit constricted by the straps. can cause unnecessarily cold feet.

* with some snowshoes the ankle strap would be too high for trainers and can rub without extra padding.
Thanks everyone!

In reply to interdit:

Snowshoeing in French Alps, La Clusaz, winter IML training (yeh you don't need prior snowshoe experience to do this) I would imagine in non-technical or terrain where you shouldn't be but still might need to negotiate (like ML steep ground equiv.)

Pretty sure the crampons won't fit the board boots but then I haven't tried, don't think this would be part of the course though and they're not on the kit list.

Think I'll take them as well as the Mantas so they can tell me what's going to be suitable on that day, I just didn't want to look the numpty saying "hey can I use these?" and they go "what on earth are you on about of course not!!"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...