UKC

Kinder downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
loopyone 29 Dec 2009
Is it still in condition or is it running water again, i'm guessing from the fact the last few days have been a bit warmer its not worth going up to now?

Can anyone help?
In reply to tatty112:

There's still a bit of ice on the ground left in Manchester and it's feeling decidedly chilly outside now and the Metoffice's predicting some cold nights coming up.
I'm planning on going up on New Year's Day so I'll put some piccies up of whatever I find. Total bummer if it is iced up, I can't find my crampons...
 chris fox 29 Dec 2009
In reply to tatty112:

I walked up sunday and the snow was very slushy, could hear lots of running water running down the cliff. So personally i doubt there's anything solid enough to swing an axe into. Maybe if there's another cold snap over the weekend it maybe climable.

Hope this helps

chris
In reply to tatty112:

Looks like we're in for some chilly nights according to this...
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/manchester_forecast_weather.html
as of 8pm 31/12.
Hopefully be able to drag myself of bed tomorrow to go and have a look.
 llanberis36 01 Jan 2010
In reply to tatty112:

going up, on sunday 11ish if anyone is interested.

cheers

simon
oggi 01 Jan 2010
In reply to tatty112:
Went up yesterday, really deep soft snow up there and the first 6 foot fell down as we climbed it. Decided discretion was the better part of valour. It has been much colder last night and the forecast is to remain cold. Be prepared for ploughing a track up the last 500m.
 pec 01 Jan 2010
In reply to tatty112: I'd be surprised if Kinder is in by tomorrow judging by conditions I saw today but it may not take much longer.
I went up to investigate Wilderness Gully today in the Chew Valley. There's a fair amount of ice on it but very soft and slushy and its all covered by a good depth of loose snow so I bailed out.

I know Kinder is a bit higher which will help but getting to it will be a slog with thigh deep powder over the boulder field below. An early start will be well worth it to make the most of the overnight freeze and also it catches the sun by noon on a clear day and melts fast once the sun's on it.
 Iain Thow 02 Jan 2010
In reply to tatty112:

Did 4 routes on Back Tor & Mam Tor on Thursday. Back Tor is powder but the turf under it is frozen. Wimped out of the rock step in Back Tor Gully but the face further right is fun. Mam Tor has good neve up the gully (lots of kicked steps though). Scoops on RH side of face had some crap ice over scary biscuit rubble. 8.30 this morning LH side of face well frozen but RH side stripped. Snowing heavily here now & face all white but probably no depth. If it freezes tonight then RHside would be doable again. Bet irt's pretty foul up on Kinder at the mo.
 mark20 03 Jan 2010
Anyone been up there this weekend?
 Peakpdr 03 Jan 2010
In reply to mark20: i was around that area on sat , was told by another walker it was still frozen , and it was bloody cold today so its prob still ok
 simon cox 03 Jan 2010
In reply to pauldr:

Several parties were on it this pm - and it looked quite substantial. Enjoy,
loopyone 05 Jan 2010
In reply to tatty112: we're going for it this weekend, freezing tempratures etc looks good!
 Sam Bennett 05 Jan 2010
We're going up very very early tomorrow morning, so long as we can get there,
will let you know what its like

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...