UKC

Beal Rope Oddness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wild_nomad 06 Jan 2010
Hi There!

I have a Beal Top Gun II (10.5mm) rope which I have only used a few times, but I have recently noticed an oddity. Near one end of the rope there is a section of about 8 inches where the rope seems to somehow be compressed.

It's very difficult to explain but if you can imagine a spring fully compressed, it's a bit like that. You can see the weave of the sheaf is compressed also, and the whole feeling of that 8 inch section is stiff and less flexible than the rest of the rope.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this is and what causes it?
 EddInaBox 06 Jan 2010
In reply to wild_nomad:

Is it a little bit fatter than the rest of the rope?
 Adam Long 06 Jan 2010
In reply to wild_nomad:

Sounds like the sheath has slipped a little towards one end, usually a result of favouring one end of the rope over the other. No big deal, you can either ignore it, try to redistribute it back up the rope (and switch ends more regularly from then on), or, if it gets really bad, cut off the heat-sealed end, milk the excess sheath off the end, cut it off and reseal.
OP wild_nomad 07 Jan 2010
In reply to EddInaBox:

No, not fatter, just stiffer.
OP wild_nomad 07 Jan 2010
In reply to Adam L:

Yes I do tend to favour one end but the oddity has occured on the end that I use the least. Will see if I can pull the sheaf down a bit, but the last time I looked the whole thing seemed pretty jammed in there. Thanks for the info though
 gear boy 07 Jan 2010
In reply to wild_nomad: if lowering off sport and indoor then slippage and sheth movement goes to the end you are not using as it occurs mainly from lowering therefore its pushed towards the belayers end of the rope
hth
 goosebump 07 Jan 2010
In reply to wild_nomad:

My partners rope was a Beal one and had the worst case of sheath slippage I have ever seen. Thread on here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=312094

Hope yours is better!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...