UKC

Making my own snow shoe chani thingies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Jan 2010
Just bought some Small chain from B&Q in the hope of making some chains for my shoes.

Any tips or advice on design?
trevor simpson 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Carry a car battery on your back and pass a current through the chains to help melt any snow
OP The Lemming 06 Jan 2010
In reply to trevor simpson:

Yawn
spartan 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Would it not have been cheaper to pay £10 and bought some retail ones?
 Fume Troll 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Get some shock cord or elastic bungy and make a heath robinson version of these?

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Cheers,

FT.
In reply to The Lemming:

I thought you were joking, and genuinely "LOLd" at the OP but I'm shocked to discover these things actually exist!

Unless you are over 60, don't be such a cripple

spartan 06 Jan 2010
In reply to Fume Troll:

Look good but I reckon they would shread your shoes after a short while. Look easy to put on though.
spartan 06 Jan 2010

Mountain Rescue Teams were wearing crampons on housing estates the other day..
In reply to spartan:

> Mountain Rescue Teams were wearing crampons on housing estates the other day..

It's a good job we never had any snow before all this gear was invented

spartan 06 Jan 2010

Haha good point but any fool can be uncomfortable/or struggle, tough guys have tonnes of kit (er well maybe thats just me)

The MRT were rescuing ambulance's and Police cars..
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> I thought you were joking, and genuinely "LOLd" at the OP but I'm shocked to discover these things actually exist!
>

Even though I live at sea level I suffer more from freeze thaw this winter than most around me. I actually do have an ice-rink on every side street around me.
blindedbyscience 06 Jan 2010
I've got a pair of "shoe grips" (rubber things with spikes) and they are the dogs danglies. Stops me being a cripple and no mistake
johnSD 06 Jan 2010
> (In reply to spartan)
>
> [...]
>
> It's a good job we never had any snow before all this gear was invented

Exactly - people should just man up, stuff some moss in their loin cloth, and get on with catching their dinner or chopping fire wood...
In reply to The Lemming:

> Even though I live at sea level I suffer more from freeze thaw this winter than most around me. I actually do have an ice-rink on every side street around me.

Ice skates?

ed34 06 Jan 2010
>
> I thought you were joking, and genuinely "LOLd" at the OP but I'm shocked to discover these things actually exist!
>
> Unless you are over 60, don't be such a cripple

like the 21 year old man who slipped in kendal on the sheet ice pavement and died from head injuries?

seem pretty sensible to me, why risk slipping over and placing more burden on NHS services which are already busy with injuries.

In reply to johnSD:

> Exactly - people should just man up, stuff some moss in their loin cloth, and get on with catching their dinner or chopping fire wood...

We've got 200mm of snow here, I did an hour run up the local "hills" earlier in trainers and shorts with no problems. Some of the people I saw who were out sledging were dressed for the Antarctic
In reply to ed34:

natural selction
 peterjb 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming: Golfer are having the last laugh this week, wearing their spikes.
spartan 06 Jan 2010

HA HA HA, were top of the food chain for our thinking not for our natural ability in stregth or cat like stance.
 Timmd 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Have you tried walking like a penguin?

I know it sound's odd, but I noticed that people walking over the ice in a carpark in Ambleside on Newyear's Eve were taking little steps and keeping thier weight central above thier feet, and it suddenly dawned on me they were walking how penguins walk.

It seemed to work quite well actually.

Cheers
Tim

spartan 06 Jan 2010
In reply to Timmd:

In that case lets hobble all the old people so they cant fall over and break a hip
 Timmd 06 Jan 2010
In reply to spartan:

Pardon?

It was quite fun and interesting seeing how poeple had adapted how they walked for walking over ice. I kind of want to test how well it works next time i'm walking somewhere icy.

Tim
spartan 06 Jan 2010
In reply to Timmd:

Just a joke hmm or was it NAN!!!

It is quite funny, its like the world has ended for some people they just cant cope. I saw an old fella yesterday walking the shop in his slippers for his morining paper, it was a foot deep of snow..
In reply to The Lemming:

Could go lo-tec and just wear old walking socks over trainers or shoes.

However my first attempt has just had its first test drive and done quite well. Only have to make one more for the other shoe and Mrs lemming can safely walk to work.
spartan 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming:

Ah the penny drops, you are just after making sure the Mrs can go to work so you can play out ...
 Timmd 06 Jan 2010
In reply to spartan:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Just a joke hmm or was it NAN!!!
>
> It is quite funny, its like the world has ended for some people they just cant cope. I saw an old fella yesterday walking the shop in his slippers for his morining paper, it was a foot deep of snow..

I honestly didn't know what you ment by 'lets hobble all the old people'.

Nevermind. ()
 thin bob 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming: tie it in knots & bungee over the top. Or make a 'net' by wiring links together & bungee.
Or if you've got enough just wrap it round and round and round and round .
Tie a blowtorch to yer toecaps an' all. Groovy.
 thin bob 06 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Could go lo-tec and just wear old walking socks over trainers or shoes.
>
>
>
nice job!
[does it work with fishnet stockings, only I've...Er, got a friend with some...

In reply to The Lemming:

Success!

And I'm quite pleased with the results.
 thin bob 07 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming: good work mr L! So did you just wrap it round &round? Enquiring minds etc etc
 Dave80 07 Jan 2010
In reply to The Lemming: I think photos are required......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...