UKC

MCC quiet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 10 Jan 2010
MCC been pretty quiet for a while now at weekends.
any ideas why?
lets just assume a certain number of replies saying 'it's sh*t!' etc. and not bother posting them.
any real ideas.
i like the routes and the facility - am i in a minority? is there something i don't know?
does this have implications for the venues business viability?
 Sargey 10 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:

I was there yesterday and did seem quiet, but I put that down to the snow. I don't normally go at weekends so can't compare.
 melonmike 10 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox: Snow, Students not back from break.
 Ben HW 10 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox: Yeah it's cos us students haven't been in Manchester over the Christmas break. We're back now though, so I apologise in advance when you can hardly move.
 eschaton 10 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:

because its bloody freezing! i was there yesterday and it was about as cold inside as it was out, the staff on the desk were wearing 2 down jackets and still complaining of the cold.
OP The Fox 10 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben HW: apology duly accepted
OP The Fox 10 Jan 2010
In reply to eschaton: lol - fair comment. seems ro have been pretty quiet for a good long time now though. is this a downward trend?
 Michael Ryan 10 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:
> (In reply to eschaton) lol - fair comment. seems ro have been pretty quiet for a good long time now though. is this a downward trend?

Poppycock.

Combine no students over the new year break with the weather which is bad for travelling and it wouldn't surprise me that wall attendance is down.

People are making less non-essential trips at the moment with non-food retailers showing a deep dip in business.

Maybe look at all wall attendance across the UK if you want see further evidence. Call them up.

OP The Fox 10 Jan 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: only curious - i like climbing there...
 mr rob 10 Jan 2010
In reply to eschaton: i hadnt been there in ages but went twice last week.

I agree it was dead no waiting for routes, although i have now done everything on top rope there (i wonder if someone will post my old rope back from thailand)

I didnt find it that cold, was in a t-shirt and was fine. Could be a case of man the f*ck up?
 MeMeMe 11 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:

We were there yesterday and it did seem quite quiet.

I liked the routes but they were graded way harder than at the Leeds wall, maybe that's what puts people off!
 MeMeMe 11 Jan 2010
In reply to MeMeMe:

Oh and it was cold but probably warmer than other walls I've been to lately.
 mr rob 11 Jan 2010
In reply to MeMeMe: humm never been to leeds. Some of the grading there varies but no more than real climbing.

I have always found it comparable with liverpool if not slightly easier. They could do with more cross over on lead and top ropes though. Harder top ropes and easier leads. I just get nackered going up the biggest wall
 mr rob 11 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox: ohh and a big one hint for anyone who runs a wall.

Some people who go are colour blind (both myself and another friend are)

Stop putting routes with similar colours on the same wall. The number of routes with blue and purple is large. More spotty holds please!
 aphex 11 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:
people prefer bouldering and the bouldering isn't well catered for?
I think barrans sets great problems, but I went yesterday and did nearly all of the problems (about 4red ones left and a blue one) and I'm not going to pay 7.50 to go and session those. Plus the campus board rungs are all at different spacings.
Open another bouldering area, improve the board (too short, holds not numbered, no book) and the campus board, set a lot of problems in the 7a-8a range and alter the prices for the month/3month/6month memberships and I might think differently.
As it is I shall continue to go to stockport or broughton in preference. I reiterate Barrans's setting is great, there just needs to be a lot more.
OP The Fox 12 Jan 2010
In reply to aphex: ta - interesting...
 James Oswald 12 Jan 2010
In reply to The Fox:
Awesome walls has generally been quiet over the last month too. I put it down to the weather mainly.
James
 stoo2k 12 Jan 2010
In reply to james oswald:

I'm just utterly skint after Xmas and can only really get there for the three quid lunchtime sessions, work permitting! I was there on Sunday though and it seemed pretty busy actually, I had to wait a while before failing miserably on the bouldering wall

It is a bit chilly in there, but have you ever been to The Beacon in the middle of winter? That's baltic!
 James Oswald 12 Jan 2010
In reply to stoo2k:
IMO climbing walls are better cold! I get too sweaty without them! To be honest I love the temperature of climbing walls when they're cold!
James
In reply to james oswald:

MCC Is normally too warm.

to MCC: PLEASE DON'T RAISE THE TEMPERATURE!

I already climb without a shirt on. If you make it warmer i'll loose skin.
 mr rob 19 Jan 2010
In reply to aphex: you do know that they have another bouldering room upstairs dont you?

ohh and yeah dont turn up the temp, its nice having to put a jumper on whilst waiting and being able to climb in the right conditions
 Andy Hardy 19 Jan 2010
In reply to mr rob:
>
> Stop putting routes with similar colours on the same wall. The number of routes with blue and purple is large. More spotty holds please!

2nded. I'm not colour blind (technically, though I am a bloke), and I have to say this p1sses me off too. Sand / orange, grey / pink, blue / lilac, etc etc. You should be allowed to claim your entrance fee back for route setting like that!
 aphex 19 Jan 2010
In reply to mr rob: yeah i do. as i said its pretty limited. there are probably 20 problems tops above 7a. if you include a few problems that are nigh on impossible/involve a one armer on a 2 finger shallow dish then you're down to about18 which is easily acheivable in a session. and yes don't turn the heating on!!!!! its one of the hottest walls around!
 Ssshhh 20 Jan 2010
In reply to aphex:
Eh?! There are probably 5 problems tops >7a in the whole place at the mo.
 aphex 20 Jan 2010
In reply to Ssshhh:
you're probably right, thinking about it there were 2 blue ones down stairs, and i can't remember upstairs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...