UKC

Coaching qualifications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin 12 Jan 2010
Does anyone know or jave heard of the new coaching qualifications that the MLTUK where gonna bring out this year??

Just wanted to read up or get some more info on them.

Cheers
oggi 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Martin:
Have a look at the MLT website www.mltuk.org and there is something on there. They only new qualification is the climbing wall leading award but all of the awards now have varying degrees of coaching in them. In addition may instructors are doing coaching as part of their CPD.

Doug
 Mark Stevenson 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Martin: I don't think anything much will be happening for a fair while yet, but it's been a month or two since I talked to anyone who is involved.

As far as I'm aware, what happened in mid-2009 was that MLTUK and its stakeholders agreed that formal UK climbing coaching qualifications parallel to existing awards were both desirable and within MLTUK's purview. MLTUK now has a formal mandate to consult on and develop a qualification framework and I believe Steve Long at MLTUK will be taking a leading role.

However, I am not aware that there is any firm timetable for that consultation and development work. If the work on the CWA is any guide I'd be surprised if it wasn't well into 2011 or 2012 before people are actually completing courses or being awarded qualifications. But, as I said, others may have more up to date info.

In the meantime the BMC has launched its 'Learning to Train' workshop which follows on from its 'FUNdamentals' workshop.

Plas y Brenin runs a coaching processes course and Neil Gresham is still running his superb 4 day coaching course at the Westway which is easily the best course currently available.

HTH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...