UKC

Drytooling in London?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Buisse 13 Jan 2010
I'm soon moving to London, and I was wondering if there was any way to practice drytooling in the city. Either in a gym that allows it or, like in Copenhagen, on some urban sculptures in parks.

Assuming a positive answer, the next query logically is: is anyone interested in joining me?

Thanks!
 fatbuoybazza 13 Jan 2010
In reply to nattfodd:

Not quite in the city, but not too far out is this place, went to check it out once as a place to muck around climbing at, but it looked pretty hopeless, its just some old reinforced concrete walls, could be ideal for some drytoolin tho..

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3453
Mazza 13 Jan 2010
In reply to nattfodd:

Ellis Brigham Ice Wall has a small section with holds for dry tooling, but really not worth it as the wall is hobbit sized and massively expensive to use. good luck!
 Tom Last 13 Jan 2010
In reply to fatbuoybazza:

Hi Fatbuoybazza.

Yes it is awful, I wrote it up during a particularly desperate non-climbing phase - sorry if I cost you a train fare.

You're right though, it may well be good for some dry-tooling.

It should be noted though that I in no way recommend it and it's often covered in glass.
OP Alex Buisse 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Mazza:

Oh well, I'll take ice climbing too if you can find it in London. But this icewall thing is in Manchester, from what I could gather?
 womblesi 14 Jan 2010
In reply to nattfodd:
> (In reply to Mazza)
>
> Oh well, I'll take ice climbing too if you can find it in London. But this icewall thing is in Manchester, from what I could gather?

http://www.vertical-chill.com/vertical-chill-london.htm

This one is in Covent Garden. It is not very high (8m I think)and is pretty pricey from what I remember.

Good luck

Simon
 fatbuoybazza 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Queequeg: nae wurries, we only went there in desparation too!!...
quite nice wanderin' around the maze of fishing lakes tho..
 Tony the Blade 14 Jan 2010
In reply to womblesi:

£20/hr (includes a free belayer)
 Tony the Blade 14 Jan 2010
In reply to nattfodd:

Brighton chalk (an hour on the train)
 Reach>Talent 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Queequeg:
I was just looking at the logbook, do you think drytooling there is reasonable? I've not visited the area yet but I don't really want to have my axes confiscated by the local gendarmerie. Is it particularly obvious and likely to attract a lot of attention?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...